Any good necro strategies?
Does anyone know a goood necro strategy? I wanna make a new necromancer but I dunno a good strategy :angry: !
Most skills work out

Have a look at the skills on the Arreat Summit site. Choose one that you like best and come back to us with the skill you most like and other skills you think will go with it well
Hi

Summoner is cheap, efficient and safe.

Max Raise Skeleton>Max Skeleton Mastery>Max Skeleton Mage

1 point each in Amp Dam, Decrepify and CE

good karma
Prophecy of Deimos
“The world doesn’t end with water, fire, or cold. I’ve divined the coming apocalypse. It ends with tentacles!”
At least make sure you get 20 skeleton/20 mastery. After that, some combo of dim vision, corpse explosion, mages, poison, etc, although poison needs a lot of points. For curses at least get decrepify and amplify.

The other major builds right now are bonespear/spirit/teeth/wall/prison with support skills, and 20 in all poison skills, lower resist, and support skills.
I may be dead, but I'm not old (source: see lavcat)

The gloves come off, I'm playing hardball. It's fourth and 15 and you're looking at a full-court press. (Frank Drebin in The Naked Gun)

Some people in forums do the next best thing to listening to themselves talk, writing and reading what they write (source, my brother)
20 skel mastery
20 skel warrior
5 golem mastery
5 clay golem (whatever)
5 amp dmg
5-10 corpse explosion (whatever)

get bone prison
get at least 1 pt in all summoning skills
avoid venom
avoid the leftmost column of curses
get lower resist if u want the sorcs to love you

i try to get a few skellies first before i start puttin' pts in amp dmg, then start pumpin' both skel mastery and skel warrior.

use amp damage on almost every enemy.
use decrepify on every boss, unless u have a powerful sorc present, then use lower resist.
use decrepify on fanatacism/might/extra fast/extra strong enemies, u can also use terror on them if u like.

have fun
Umm u could be summoner which is (or at least what i did):
10-20 pts skelly mastery and into raise skeleton and skelly mage
20 pts into a golem
20 pts into bone armor
10 pts into golem mastery (if u want less)
20 pts into iron maiden

and a offense spell like bone spear and the ur set! (and ull want the trang set it rocks 4 a necro)
MikethemizJR,Sep 20 2004, 11:22 AM Wrote:Umm u could be summoner which is (or at least what i did):
10-20 pts skelly mastery and into raise skeleton and skelly mage
20 pts into a golem
20 pts into bone armor
10 pts into golem mastery (if u want less)
20 pts into iron maiden

and a offense spell like bone spear and the ur set! (and ull want the trang set it rocks 4 a necro)
You'll want to check out IESpell if you're not planning on putting any effort into your posts.
That's more of a 1.09 build. In 1.10 the build will do O.K. with the skeletons, but you can get skills that go much better with skeletons, like corpse explosion and amp damage. Plus that build seems to use more than 110 points, which is the max.
I may be dead, but I'm not old (source: see lavcat)

The gloves come off, I'm playing hardball. It's fourth and 15 and you're looking at a full-court press. (Frank Drebin in The Naked Gun)

Some people in forums do the next best thing to listening to themselves talk, writing and reading what they write (source, my brother)
MikethemizJR,Sep 20 2004, 04:22 PM Wrote:20 pts into bone armor
That's not the optimal way of using 20 points on your bone armor:

1 pts in bone armor and 19 in bone wall gives a much stronger armor due to the weird synergy that gives five more points of armor per point in a synergy (bone wall or bone prison) than if you put the point in bone armor itself.

So that's 95 armor points more in your BA if you use the synergies. :)
I've built a sunmmoning Necro and had very nice results. He was made complely solo (single player), no-twink, and has an easy time even in act 5 hell.

Skills:
Max Raise Skeleton
Max Skeleton Mastery
Max Raise Skeletal Mage
Max Golem Mastery
1 pt in everything else in summoning tree

1 in teeth/CE

1 in Amp / Weaken / Terror / Decrepify

The main thing I did while playing him was look for +skills equipment, namely + summoning. I guess I got lucky, but by the time I hit hell I had +5 to summoning and +1 to all skills. Skeletons are ultra tough, so survival isn't usually an issue. Currently, he has +9 to summoning and +2 to all skills from a rare head. Pick up every magic wand you find later on, and gamble all the circlets and amulets you can once you're high enough level to get the +3 summoning modifier (this is all assuming you don't already have nice +skills equipment).

I use clay golem for two reasons. One, slows target. Two, highest life of any golem (with enough +skills). Your mileage may vary. At first, Iron Golem is the best bet until you get more +skills equipment. I decrepify everything except physical immunes in hell (I amp those for more damage). I picked up a blessed aim act 2 merc in normal and is still going strong in hell. (Even with sub-par equipment, they survive well due to all your other minions). I believe blessed aim is the way to go, since skeletons have bad AR. However if you play with AR boosting allies (or equivelant, like a Conviction Pally), you can get a more effective merc like might, or perhaps thorns.

Also: Revives. Revives are REALLY GOOD. By far the most powerful of your minions (at least if you revive the right things). If you know you can get a lot of +summoning, only 1 base point can give you enough revives to slaughter with. Recommended revives: Corrupted rogues (especially archers in hell), goat men, ghosts, gloams, balrogs, doom/abyss knights, bascialyl any not-too-slow-moving and hard-hitting monster. The all around best revives I like are Blunderbores and Thorned Hulks, and the kings of revives, Minotaurs.

That's really all the strategy there is. Just stand around and keep everything decrepified, and watch all your minions kick butt. Starting off, max raise skeleton and skeleton mastery first. Get decrep as soon as possible, and have a golem. Be sure to get your point in revive at level 30 or realy soon after. After skeleton/mastery are maxed, either work on mage or golem mastery. Once everything is maxed, you can increase corpse explosion. My necro is level 83 now, and he is just starting to do that. Corpse explosion serves quite well in hell to speed things up a bit.

I've concluded that this build can be done without mages at all, but I like them. They do low damage, but enough of them can still take out physical immune creatures that amp/decrep cannot un-immune.

If you are solo, act bosses in normal will be a HUGE pain. Just stick it out. When they slaughter your army, TP out, WP to an easy area and rebuild your army, and go back through your tp for another round (just remember not to TP out of the area you are in when rebuilding, or it may be a long hike back to the boss). I found Diablo to be the hardest boss to kill, and Baal the easiest (I had a nice army and revives by then). Diablo took many, many TP army rebuilds to beat. I'm pretty sure I cleared most of act 1 just rebuilding my armies, but he still fell in the end.

With clay golem, decrep, and at least 1 cold mage, most bosses are a joke. The slow effect from those 3 things will make things near statues. Baal's AI completely screws up when slowed this much, making him nearly unable to attack at all. With decrep and cold mages, alone, not many monsters will pose much of a threat to your army at all. Even if you don't use clay, I reccommend throwing him in there to get a hit on a hard boss to tag him with the slows target (unless you use an Iron golem summoned form something really nice).

When you get high level and lots of +skills, you'll have over 30 minions wreaking havoc across Sanctuary.

Wow, I should have just made a guide. :P

-Barrid