Horrible problems:(
I finally got patch downloaded and during installation I got the message that a necessary file was missing (Errors AoE or somesuch), and that I needed to reinstall the game. The last patch was a complete reinstallation so I downloaded that (with a fast download amazingly enough). I opened the file after downloading and there was no exe of any kind . I figured to launch the game and reapply the patch when prompted to do so. However, there was no way to launch the game. I then decided to go back to the first email and restart the process but efforts to do that were rejected saying the authentication key was invalid. I then decided to redownload WoW 8.0 again but now cannot even log on to do that. So the upshot is I don't even have WOW on my computer anymore. I know the servers are down anyway, but I concerned now that I will never get on.
That's awful. Totally sucks. Have you tried just copying and pasting the key into the window that pops up when you try to download the full thing? I have the full file, but unfortunately, I don't have a way to get it to you. Had I been at my old job, all you would have had to do was post the above, and by 7:00am CST, you would have had it waiting on my FTP server. I would have put all the WoW files up there, so we all could get them quickly..... *sigh* I could break up the files and send them to you, but the problem is that authentication key.

Does anyone have an FTP server that we can team up to get Thenryb the install files? That way he can work with Blizz to make sure that his key is correct, while we handle the files.
There might be different keys for different pushes/files. Not sure, but I remember getting a key with each e-mail that blizz sent. Maybe try a different one? =\
I've used the same key from the beginning, and it's always worked for me.
Yeah, it's always the same key. Wish I had the space or bandwidth to host something that size. Bah.
One day, the Champions of the Fierce Bunny will ride again...<!--sizec--><!--/sizec-->
lemekim,Aug 19 2004, 04:15 AM Wrote:There might be different keys for different pushes/files. Not sure, but I remember getting a key with each e-mail that blizz sent. Maybe try a different one? =\
At least in my case, even though I've received a new e-mail for each push, in each case, the keys were the same for all of them. I suspect that this has more to do with general problems Blizzard is experiencing. I'd try later when things stabilize.
Thanks to all of you for your kind expressions of support. As it turns out, I think Mongo was correct and that the problems I was experiencing flowed from Blizzard's. I waited a bit and downloaded WOW from the usual place and applied the patch. I now can join the rest of you in waiting for the servers to come up.
Me and my 1 KB/s feel so lonely.
DeeBye,Aug 19 2004, 08:42 AM Wrote:Me and my 1 KB/s feel so lonely.
And imagine how those without the beta feel, for 3 weeks I've been checking daily at the European WoW site for the note that beta e-mails have been sent while you're all playing taking into consideration I might not even get into the beta.

So who's lonely now? :)
"Turn the key deftly in the oiled wards, and seal the hushed casket of my soul" - John Keats, "To Sleep"
next time
"I'm a cynical optimistic realist. I have hopes. I suspect they are all in vain. I find a lot of humor in that." -Pete

I'll remember you.
Quote:Me and my 1 KB/s feel so lonely.

I'm right there with you, buddy. I'm still only halfway there. After a day of pulling it. One of my attempts, the downloader did nothing but UPLOAD data. Didn't even download a single byte.

I feel your pain. Be assured of that.

SaxyCorp
Saxywoo,Aug 19 2004, 12:44 PM Wrote:I'm right there with you, buddy.&nbsp; I'm still only halfway there.&nbsp; After a day of pulling it.&nbsp; One of my attempts, the downloader did nothing but UPLOAD data.&nbsp; Didn't even download a single byte.
This downloader is all kinds of bizzarre. Today I'm downloading at 15 kB/s, and not uploading a single byte. I guess I might be able to play tonight after all.
Quote:This downloader is all kinds of bizzarre. Today I'm downloading at 15 kB/s, and not uploading a single byte. I guess I might be able to play tonight after all.

See, BitTorrent has a 1-to-1 ratio. Some people download a bit more, some people upload a bit more, but over all, everyone benefits by everyone else uploading while they download. The problem is that Blizzard's implementation of it is quite lopsided, in that some people are downloading at 150+k/s without problem, while others upload at their maximum, saturating their line, making their own downloads extremely poor.

If Blizzard had a fancier mechanism to determine upload speed, and set the torrent's max upload speed appropriately, everyone would be able to download fast, and upload at a reasonable speed, thereby evening out the upload to download distribution. So instead of 5 people getting 100k/s from 10 other people while those 10 get 1 k/s from the other 5, all 15 will get 50k/s, a little bit of bandwidth from each, evenly distributed.

Even distribution of uploads is the goal, but Blizzard is WAY off with their current downloader right now. Unfortunately for some, this just might be a deal breaker, disallowing them access to beta test WoW altogether (not me though! ;) Although, I can't play right now because I'm a different city... A god awful city north of Toronto. GOOD LORD SOMEONE SAVE ME!).
"Yay! We did it!"
"Who are you?"
"Um, uh... just ... a guy." *flee*