Stress Test Woes
Alright, through a friend, I've managed to finagle my way into the Beta Stress Test, a weeklong excercise that I would assume is designed to place a burden on the servers. I don't know when it begins, and whether or not Beta and Stress Test people will be on the same servers, but I'm in.

The only problem is that I'm having issues with the client. Since I'm getting in through FilePlanet, I have to download the client from them, a hefty 2.2GB. While this is only about three hours with my 10Mb connection here at the University, it seems that all of the download links are corrupted. When I try to download it through Firefox, the Download Manager says it's at a few megabytes out of an absurdly large negative number, and my download rate starts at over 1 MB/s and rapidly drops down to the usual ~200 KB/s.

I downloaded it last night, twice (the connection here at the U has sporadic periods where it dies, which caused me to have to start all over), and finally got a chance to peek at the archive (it comes in a ZIP file) today. WinRAR says that the entire archive is corrupted, which doesn't really surprise me. While the download appeared to be fine, I think FilePlanet screwed the pooch getting the file up.

Any ideas on how to fix this?
ArrayPaladins were not meant to sit in the back of the raid staring at health bars all day, spamming heals and listening to eight different classes whine about buffs.[/quote]
The original Heavy Metal Cow™. USDA inspected, FDA approved.
Artega,Aug 27 2004, 12:02 PM Wrote:WinRAR says that the entire archive is corrupted, which doesn't really surprise me.  While the download appeared to be fine, I think FilePlanet screwed the pooch getting the file up.

Lots of people seem to be having this problem. Use WinZip instead of WinRAR.
On a side note, does anyone know if people who are currently in beta will be able to participate in the stress test as well?
That did it.

I would like to know the answer to Lem's question - it would be great to party with fellow Lurkers, even though it'll only be for a week, and I'll be twenty levels behind.
ArrayPaladins were not meant to sit in the back of the raid staring at health bars all day, spamming heals and listening to eight different classes whine about buffs.[/quote]
Artega,Aug 27 2004, 04:54 PM Wrote:I would like to know the answer to Lem's question - it would be great to party with fellow Lurkers, even though it'll only be for a week, and I'll be twenty levels behind.
For starters, the beta test servers will be separate from the stress test servers. Blizzard's Stress Test FAQ states:

The beta test is completely separate and is taking place on different servers from the ones on which the stress test will be conducted.

Secondly, I'd hate to take a spot away from someone else who is just looking to get a peek at the game in the stress test. I won't sign up for it.

-Bolty
Quote:Considering the mods here are generally liberals who seem to have a soft spot for fascism and white supremacy (despite them saying otherwise), me being perma-banned at some point is probably not out of the question.
Bolty, the question is rather can current Beta testers log onto the stress server? This wont take away any spots from the people who sign up, since we already have keys. But it would give us a chance to play with some lurkers (and other friends I assume) who did not get into beta.
Actually, Bolty's replay answered my question ^_^

Too bad. I was looking forward to playing with some people from the Lounge :(
"Anger setting in, rage taking over. rrrraaaaa"

I cant begin to describe how agravating this site was to join. There are no instructions to help you along if you get stuck, so here's some {hopefully}helpfull hints

You need to sign up to both fileplanet and gamespy

After you sign up at fileplanet you need to login,go back to sign up sheet, scrole down to email verification status, click on UNVERIFIED, click on RESEND('cause thet didn't send in first place). If you dont do this they keep sending you back to their sales pitch.

At the gamespy signup be carefull where you click "subscribe now". some of those buttons are actualy hiding "sure sign me up for the $56 a year membership" buttons

Once signed up at gamespy you need to click on my account for it to recognize you have one. If you don't it will keep sending you back to their sales pitch.

When all is said and done here's what you get

The World of Warcraft Stress Test signup page is
currently only open to FilePlanet subscribers. The
signup page for all other users will be available in
a few days.
If you have further questions check out the faq

They could have told me that in the first place. (I had allready checked out the faq and it didnt say anything about not being available now.) Maybe most of this is intuitive to those who sign up to a lot of these types of sites, but I found it very annoying. Good luck!
DeeBye,Aug 27 2004, 10:20 AM Wrote:
Artega,Aug 27 2004, 12:02 PM Wrote:WinRAR says that the entire archive is corrupted, which doesn't really surprise me.  While the download appeared to be fine, I think FilePlanet screwed the pooch getting the file up.

Lots of people seem to be having this problem. Use WinZip instead of WinRAR.
The built in WinXP file compression stuff will extract it just fine as well. Just an FYI.
---
It's all just zeroes and ones and duct tape in the end.
Well, I'm not in the beta.

BUT, I am a lounge member and just got accepted into the stress test. :)

Smithy
Uh, what?

FilePlanet explicitly says that the Stress Test offer is available only to their subscribers (which are different from GameSpy members.)
There is actualy 2 seperate links 1 exclusive 1 not.
When I tried to download the non exclusive file I would be redirected to a page that said I lacked a gamespy id #
in any case the download is now available to us non subscribers so i'm off to get started!

EDIT: I guess I jumped the gun. they've given out all the keys they had. More will be available at a later date :(
Odd, I am neither a Gamespy, or Fileplanet subscriber, and I got an authentication key... Then again, I signed up on Saturday, soon after it became "Available" to non-subscribers.

Well, if it doesn't work, I won't blame Fileplanet, as it took them 4Gb of their bandwidth to send over a file that won't even work...
I'm wondering how you got it then since File Planet won't let you download without loging in with a Game Spy ID (which is free) or a File Planet ID (which you have to pay for). I know that they didn't send info to the e-mail addy I put in the form I filled out, it was sent to my hotmail account which is what my GameSpy ID is under. I don't pay for File Planet, and I only have a GameSpy ID because of something stupid that I don't quite recall, it goes to my hotmail account which is my junk mail account I know. But I got the WoW Stress test client at least so I don't really care.
---
It's all just zeroes and ones and duct tape in the end.
Has anyone else been getting frequent critical errors? The report said that ninety percent of my memory was in use, but I have very little running in the background - just mIRC and the few necessary processes for normal operation. Any way of circumventing this issue?