nm on sp
today i played diablo for the first time in many years but after killing diablo with my lvl 25sorc i just cant get to nightmare.
i tried killing him several times but it wont work, if I choose "load game" i get back to diablo chamber 1min before i killed him, if I choose "new game" a new normal game starts.
or is it that you can only play normal on single player?
*edit forgot to tell you that i have the latest patch.
You cannot select difficulty when creating a Single Player game. However, the difficulty variable is not reset between games, so if the game was most recently played in Nightmare or Hell difficulty, the next SP game created will be of that difficulty. Therefore, you should create a Nightmare game in MP, choose New Game, back out to main menu (do NOT exit Diablo), then create a new SP game.
Quote from Kill Counting 101 at Freshman Diablo

Playing Single Player at Higher Difficulties
----------------------------------------------------
(I've included this just in case somebody doesn't know it is possible)

While there is no difficulty setting when playing single player games of Classic Diablo, it is possible to play
with monster attributes and drops equivalent to Nightmare and Hell Difficulties. The only reason I can think of
for doing so (and why I do it) is to play the quests that are given you in single player. Since it requires
a multi player character capable of playing those difficulties, quests are the only thing to be gained.

-Start a multi player game of Nightmare or Hell difficulty (character must be of sufficient level to start game)
-Select new game from menu
-Cancel back to single player selection
-Start a new game or load a saved single player game
-The single player game is now playing as if you had set the difficulty equivalent to the last multi player game
-The difficulty does not save with the character so this must be done each time you play
well that sucks.
so first i have to get a lvl20 b.net char and then repeat the steps written above every time I want to play.
just aint worth it, to bad on such a good game.
Well you might consider switching to multiplayer instead of continuing SP.
After you've seen all the quests a couple of times in SP you can also play MP, because there's no good reason to stay in SP.

You don't have all the quests, but MP is usually more challenging plus you can easily change the skill level and you don't have to play alone.
i could do that but when i last played with others you could only play team if everyone where warriors becuse of the team dmg thing.
is this fixed?
It isn't fixed, because its not a bug. Think about it realistically. If someone fires a ball of fire at you, will it hurt? If someone fires arrows at your back, will it hurt?

You can still play as a team, but just be careful about who you play with. If being able to cause one another damage is so hard *not* to do, then perhaps you should try Diablo II ;p

Not to mention, this kind of play stimulates the mind and makes you be more strategic in your playing.
"The axe? Aye, that's a good weapon, balanced against any foe. Look how it cleaves the air, and then, imagine a nice fat demon head in its path. Keep in mind, however, that it is slow to swing - but talk about dealing a heavy blow!"
I don't even bother with b.net anymore. Instead I create a multiplayer game using Direct Cable Connection and tell the game I want to host. This lets me play a solo multiplayer game without bothering with other players. It's a bit more challenging, but also quite fun.

I still play singleplayer because I like the extra quests and because there is no experience cap for killing monsters that are higher level than you, unlike multiplayer. There are also a few bugs with item drops and items spawned on the ground in multiplayer that cause me to keep playing singleplayer, where those bugs don't occur. So I try to have at least one high level multiplayer character to allow me to create nightmare and hell difficulty singleplayer games.
i have played d2 and its alot of fun buts after a couple of years you get bored.
stimulating and strategic maybe but it sure is less fun.
Just a quick remark: if you're really having problems due to damage from other players, somebody's doing something wrong. I play sorcerors almost exclusively, and I've never had problems with accidentally killing my partners. That's not to say no accidents have ever occured, but it was hardly a regular experience. The fault can lie with either party - warriors walking into the middle of firefights, or ranged attackers firing into spaces too tight for their weapons. I will say that it's much easier to play a pure-ranged or pure-melee game.