How to Resurrect with No Resurrection Sickness
HOW TO REZ WITH NO REZ SICKNESS
(Without using a special talent or spell)

After the release of the latest major patch, I started noticing a strange phenomenon when resurrecting people. Sometimes when I rezed someone, they wouldn't get rez sickness, despite my not using any special resurrection talent or spell. I experimented for a long time to nail down exactly what combination of actions caused this occurance. Luckily, I've been invited to join many Blackrock Depths groups, so I've had many guinea pigs to work with. After a bit of practice, I've gotten to about a 90% success rate in rezing people without rez sickness, so I'm fairly confident on how this is done. Here's what I do:

1. When the resurrection spell timer bar is just a hair away from finishing, I start moving (usually backward, but I don't think the direction of movement matters).

2. I continue to move.

3. If the person accepts the resurrection in the first few seconds (i.e. during the part that the bright lights come up out of his or her body) and if the rezer is moving when they accept, then the rezee will not be afflicted with rez sickness. Instead, you'll hear an error message, saying "I'm out of range." The rezee doesn't have to rush to accept the resurrection. They just have to accept within a few seconds after they get the resurrection prompt. Most people do this automatically if they haven't gone afk, so I haven't felt the need to give any special instructions to strangers in my groups.

4. This does not seem to work if the rezee has released his or her spirit or if he or she waits too long after the resurrection prompt appears.

Why does this work? I'm not sure, but I have a guess. Despite the "Out of range" error message, it doesn't seem to have anything to do with the distance between the rezer and the rezee. It definitely has something to do with the rezer moving. My suspicion is that resurrection is a two step process. First, the caster casts Resurrection on the player and then after the player resurrects, the caster casts "Resurrection Sickness" on them. However, if the caster is moving, it suddenly becomes illegal for the caster to cast "Resurrection Sickness." This guess makes a lot of sense, but of course it doesn't explain why it doesn't work if the person waits too long or has released their spirit. I think something about the bright lights that come out of the rezee's body during resurrection may have something to do with it.
I'll have to try this as a paladin to see if I can replicate it. :)
I taught a paladin how to do it, and he was able to, so I know it works with them, too. :)
I was able to replicate this many times last night. It's quite easy, so long as you have a good feel for the distance to walk away from (the radius around the dead body).

The Warrior I was questing with last night (very low for the quests we were doing) died a few times, and each time I was able to successfully resurrect him without any sickness, as per the routine you described above.

Looks like they forgot to apply an error check in thier code. Since the resurrectee respawns at the resurrector's location, a distance check has to be applied. I would imagine that Blizzard's intent here is that they don't want the res'ee to be able to respawn anywhere outside of the "dead body radius" -- the normal radius around your corpse that, when you approach, it pops up a window saying "Resurrect?"

When the res'er walks backward, he is then "out of range", but since the res'ee has already accepted resurrection, he pops up. Apparently, there is no error checking at that point, and the res'ee defaults to "alive" without any sickness, and only 1 health. Should be easy an easy fix. :)

EDIT: Forgot to mention -- it doesn't matter if they release their spirit. I'm not sure about how long they wait, though. I bet that the "Paladin wants to Resurrect you" window goes away soon after you leave the radius around the dead body. I haven't tested that one, though.
"Yay! We did it!"
"Who are you?"
"Um, uh... just ... a guy." *flee*
Quote: I was able to replicate this many times last night. It's quite easy, so long as you have a good feel for the distance to walk away from (the radius around the dead body).

As I said in my post, though, it doesn't seem to have any relationship to the distance between the rezer or rezee at any step in the process. I've done it very close to the body with the person accepting nearly immediately. Also, last night, I was rezed by a paladin who actually walked side-to-side and definitely stayed within the resurrection radius. It only seems to have to do with the rezer moving and not anything to do with distance.
JustAGuy,Aug 31 2004, 01:47 PM Wrote:Looks like they forgot to apply an error check in thier code. Since the resurrectee respawns at the resurrector's location, a distance check has to be applied.

I guess I never paid enough attention, but I would think the resurrection *should* take place at the resurrectee's body. What is the logic of it happening at the location of the resurrector? Granted it might be easier that way for the resurrectee.

Most of the time when I am the one resurrecting I am standing at the resurrectee's body anyhow.
"I may be old, but I'm not dead."
Interesting. Is this technically a tactic, or an exploit?
;)
LavCat,Aug 31 2004, 01:24 PM Wrote:What is the logic of it happening at the location of the resurrector?  Granted it might be easier that way for the resurrectee.
To resurrect in relative safety.
Hi,

In beta, it's technically a 'test' ;)

--Pete

How big was the aquarium in Noah's ark?

Quote:As I said in my post, though, it doesn't seem to have any relationship to the distance between the rezer or rezee at any step in the process. I've done it very close to the body with the person accepting nearly immediately. Also, last night, I was rezed by a paladin who actually walked side-to-side and definitely stayed within the resurrection radius. It only seems to have to do with the rezer moving and not anything to do with distance.

I was always successful in the no-sickness raise from a distance (seemingly far away from the dead-body-area). I'll have to try again, right beside the bugger this time, to see if he gets sick.
"Yay! We did it!"
"Who are you?"
"Um, uh... just ... a guy." *flee*
Excellent bug hunting, Mongo! Tried to exploit bandages (First Aid) in a similar fashion, because it casts a "Recently Bandaged" spell on the target preventing further bandaging for 60 seconds, but you can't really outrun yourself and you can't bandage someone else from a distance, so no dice.

-Bolty
Quote:Considering the mods here are generally liberals who seem to have a soft spot for fascism and white supremacy (despite them saying otherwise), me being perma-banned at some point is probably not out of the question.