Ever see act1 Rogue townie in Cow Level?
v1.10 uswest ladder2 game, classic, playing game after Diablo kill (you just have to rejoin the game after the Diablo kill timer boots everyone out).

I killed everything on the cow level with my Chippydin and then brought in my Find Item horking barb for grins (only player in game)... when he entered the cow portal I noticed a rogue standing nearby and did a WTF?!

After reassuring myself that I didn't have a hireling I took a screenshot (I should have brought up the party screen and hired a rogue so you could see "for sure" that the rogue was a townie).

I then spent some minutes trying to herd a chicken into the cow portal (with the expected "nope, doesn't go through" result, of course) while thinking about this.

I'm torn between thinking:

a. the game put a wandering rogue in the cow level post clear, as an easter egg unknown to me
b. the rogue got "sucked in" to the cow level due to sloppy coding and a race condition when my barb entered the red portal
c. the rogue happened to walk into the cow portal by chance

I only credit "c." as remotely possible because I've seen act 3 townie sorcs wander out into the wilderness.
"He's got demons? Cool!" -- Gonzo, Muppet Treasure Island

"Proto-matter... an unstable substance which every ethical scientist in the galaxy has denounced as dangerously unpredictable." -- Saavik, Star Trek III

"Mom! Dad! It's evil! Don't touch it!" -- Kevin, Time Bandits
Nothing to add, except this is the second time I've heard of this. The first time was...I'm guessing in the last days of 1.09 or the first of 1.1. I have the vaguest recollection that it was reported here, but it could have been the AB as well. How's that for helpful?
You very (very) occasionally see rogues out in the Wilderness levels in act 1. I think she's built into a rarely-used game tile - when the map generator picks that tile, you get a rogue rogue. ;-)
You don't know what you're talking about.
I've also seen the rogue rogues. My first sighting was in the Cold Plains many months ago in single play--expansion, definitely 1.09 or earlier. My second sighting was in the Dark Woods--just recently in patch 1.10, classic, on realms.

The one I saw in the Dark Woods was shooting carvers with her bow. She eventually killed one.

My personal guess is that it's a deliberate feature intended to keep people talking about the game long after they think they've seen everything. (Seems to be working! :)) Same for the occasional permanent portal Cain leaves behind when rescued.

Speaking of which, does Anya ever leave a permanent portal?

Jimbowe
Jimbowe,Sep 2 2004, 09:04 AM Wrote:My personal guess is that it's a deliberate feature intended to keep people talking about the game long after they think they've seen everything.
Yeah, kinda like the stained glass window monsters in act 4.

Somewhat off-topic: it occurs to me you could rush a character, named "Fourth_Ancient" or some such, to act 5 hell while still under clvl 9 (PvP limit, iirc), and fill their inventory with full TP books... such a character could enter Ancients Way and pass on to the Ancient's challenge plateau (interesting build question here: can they do this unassisted, apart from twinks?) in order to do a Pythonesque "none shall pass" "what is your quest?" kind of joke (the crux being that so long as you can cast town portals you can nullify attempts to defeat the ancients).

"Proto-matter... an unstable substance which every ethical scientist in the galaxy has denounced as dangerously unpredictable." -- Saavik, Star Trek III

Crystalion,Sep 2 2004, 12:52 PM Wrote:Yeah, kinda like the stained glass window monsters in act 4.

Somewhat off-topic: it occurs to me you could rush a character, named "Fourth_Ancient" or some such, to act 5 hell while still under clvl 9 (PvP limit, iirc), and fill their inventory with full TP books... such a character could enter Ancients Way and pass on to the Ancient's challenge plateau (interesting build question here: can they do this unassisted, apart from twinks?) in order to do a Pythonesque "none shall pass" "what is your quest?" kind of joke (the crux being that so long as you can cast town portals you can nullify attempts to defeat the ancients).
You know what? I have played this game since it came out! I stopped for a little bit on and off and... wham... I'm playing again. But I have never, and I repeat N-E-V-E-R seen those damned stain glassed windows! I have had two different computers, many different installed versions of DII (collecters edition, game chest version, normal in-store version), and have yet to ever see those stain glassed widows!!! I've seen them before on my friends computer... twice actually in the same day! Is this normal?
"The true value of a human being is determined primarily by the measure and the sense in which he has attained liberation from the self." -Albert Einsetin
How much of the city of the Damned have you explored? The stained glass has always for me seemec to show up in the "island cathedral" that is split off from the rest of the place. Also, you may have seen stained glass but have never moved the mouse over it so didn't see that the glass could be attacked.
I may be dead, but I'm not old (source: see lavcat)

The gloves come off, I'm playing hardball. It's fourth and 15 and you're looking at a full-court press. (Frank Drebin in The Naked Gun)

Some people in forums do the next best thing to listening to themselves talk, writing and reading what they write (source, my brother)
The merc and the minions always attacked the windows, but I have to admit I nowadays usually run through to meet Dia, without clearing the area.
Prophecy of Deimos
“The world doesn’t end with water, fire, or cold. I’ve divined the coming apocalypse. It ends with tentacles!”
Minionman,Sep 3 2004, 03:32 AM Wrote:Also, you may have seen stained glass but have never moved the mouse over it so didn't see that the glass could be attacked.
I suspect it's been years since I've seen them... my recollection is that I stood next to one and *it attacked me*. YMMV (i.e. I may be getting senile or just making things up to amuse Thrugg ;) )

Quote:How much of the city of the Damned have you explored? The stained glass has always for me seemec to show up in the "island cathedral" that is split off from the rest of the place. Also, you may have seen stained glass but have never moved the mouse over it so didn't see that the glass could be attacked.

I saw them right before heading towards CS at the River of Flame WP on my friends computer. I don't recall haveing been in the City of the Damned much, no. But seriously, I have never seen them on my computer. I have seen my friends minions and himself attack *them* but all I see on my end is him attacking air or the stone statues. I know he was attacking the glass because I asked him what he and his minions were swinging at. This was all pre 1.08 however and I really havent thought about it after he stopped playing D2 with me.
"The true value of a human being is determined primarily by the measure and the sense in which he has attained liberation from the self." -Albert Einsetin
Speaking of "stained glass window" monsters.... it seems to me a long time since I saw those recently again (playing D2LoD v1.10 single-player or realms). I recall back in D2C v1.01-1.06 that I almost always have the stained glass window monsters in the game, but did they change the code so they appear much less frequenty in the newer patches?