Longer storage for older topics?
On another forum where I spend some time, someone made a topic about weight loss and 6-pack stomachs. We recently had a discussion about this here on the Lounge, and I thought I'd do some cross-forum-quoting, but alas, the thread was not to be found. I guess time took its toll.

Would it be too hard on this board's resources to keep the threads for longer periods of time? There's so much clever being said on this board which I want to keep for posterity, but the threads seem to disappear all too quickly. Copy+pasting entire threads into a word document isn't really practical either.

On the forum in question, there's a sub-forum for "classic" threads. The sub-forum is closed and can only be viewed; posters cannot reply to "classic" threads. The moderators decide which useful threads are deemed "Classic®" and move them to this sub-forum once the discussion in the thread has dissipated. Would such an idea be possible for us on The Lounge as an alternative to extending the life of a thread?
Ask me about Norwegian humour Smile
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTs9SE2sDTw
O.K., I'm just someone else who posts, but I agree with what was just said, since there are really cool threads long the Maldar one that probably should be kept for a long time.
I may be dead, but I'm not old (source: see lavcat)

The gloves come off, I'm playing hardball. It's fourth and 15 and you're looking at a full-court press. (Frank Drebin in The Naked Gun)

Some people in forums do the next best thing to listening to themselves talk, writing and reading what they write (source, my brother)
Are you checking the bottom of the forum's index? There's a line down there that says, "Showing # of # topics sorted by BLANK from BLANK."

Set the last BLANK to "the beginning", and you should be able to find your thread. Don't forget to also check back pages while you're at the bottom of the forum index, of course.
Why can't we all just get along

--Pete
It's already set to beginning. I did a search for "crunches", which I know is a word that was used several times for the thread I was looking for, and the search-function didn't find the word. I was under the assumption the search-function ran a search through *all* threads available.

*checking*

edit: My mistake. I had to configure the search-function to include all fora as well as choose the "any time"-slot for how far back I wanted the search to go. From other boards, I'm used to this being the default, so I didn't bother check it. Silly me. I found the thread. Just my incompetence getting in the way.
Ask me about Norwegian humour Smile
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTs9SE2sDTw
Just to calm any fears, this board does NOT prune posts. Unless some psycho bug/fault nuked a thread, it's here somewhere. Every effort has been made since the inception of the forums here at the Lurker Lounge to keep every and all post ever made.

One of the reasons I was happy and eager to switch to this current forum software was because the last one I used was flaky at best and nuked threads randomly. However, we haven't been using that software now for quite a long time (over a year and a half). You can find links to the older forums, which are still online for reference, in the Forum FAQ.

Glad to see you were able to find it! Had me worried there.

-Bolty
Quote:Considering the mods here are generally liberals who seem to have a soft spot for fascism and white supremacy (despite them saying otherwise), me being perma-banned at some point is probably not out of the question.
O.k., so all the threads are always there. The idea for archived threads is still a good one though.
I may be dead, but I'm not old (source: see lavcat)

The gloves come off, I'm playing hardball. It's fourth and 15 and you're looking at a full-court press. (Frank Drebin in The Naked Gun)

Some people in forums do the next best thing to listening to themselves talk, writing and reading what they write (source, my brother)