when does hitting take place?
in what frame of melee attacks does hitting take place?
Typically, it is a specific frame (or frames in a multi-hit sequence) in the animation where the character would be seen striking a target. Which frame it is and when that frame can be reached varies much between the skill being used, the type of character/monster using that skill, the class of weapon they are using, and speed increasers.
let me put in this way:

lets consider a 9 frame long normal attack.

at what frame does the game decide the hitting situation (ie check if the opponent is in range and decide if it is a successful attack or blocked etc) ?

do I hit at the very first frame (which seems to be wrong)? at the last frame? the middle one (5th frame in this situation)?

if this is varying in attacks, I am especially curious about the normal attack, fire claws, fury and rabies.
I can't answer that for certain since you haven't given enough information. In an animation, there is a frame marked arbitrarily as an action point, which when the game draws up to or passes that point, an action (typically an attack/missile release) would really be done. The game usually does not determine which frame the action point is at. That task is given to the animators. Typically, they will have set this point as a frame where there is some kind of impact or release being drawn.

To be able to look up which frame it is, you'd need to specify the skill being used, the type of character/monster using that skill, and the class of weapon they are using. You would also need to specify the amount of speed increasers if you want to figure out when that frame is reached.
And none of this is applicable if you're playing online.
"AND THEN THE PALADIN TOOK MY EYES!"
Forever oppressed by the GOLs.
Grom Hellscream: [Orcish] kek