Character DB server goes kablooey...news at a 11
Well, they found out what part of the cause with the crash was last night for the Beta and PvP servers, one of the character database servers decided to die. Well, it looks like today, around 4 pm Pacific, the other character DB server gave up the ghost. When you sign in, you get a create character option and no characters listed. If you go through the rigormarole of creating a character, when you finally chose to create, you just sit there with a cancel. So, who knows how long this is going to take to come back up since their cluster is now totally hosed.
Sith Warriors - They only class that gets a new room added to their ship after leaving Hoth, they get a Brooncloset

Einstein said Everything is Relative.
Heisenberg said Everything is Uncertain.
Therefore, everything is relatively uncertain.
I see. I was wondering what the heck was going on. That'd be a shame if our characters were lost before the completion of the beta (we all know that we're going to lose them at the end, it'd be nice to not have to re-start so early).

I hope they can recover that database. I was only 30g away from a non-race mount... Many people will be upset if they can't recover it, but after all, this IS a beta. They should keep that in mind, but I know they wont. :)

It appears as though the Blizzard forums are overloaded; if you try and access them, you get the "You've encountered an ERROR!!" message. Not surprising one bit, considering the circumstances.
"Yay! We did it!"
"Who are you?"
"Um, uh... just ... a guy." *flee*
Figures. Just hit 50 with Sharanna. :P
JustAGuy,Sep 5 2004, 08:16 PM Wrote:Many people will be upset if they can't recover it, but after all, this IS a beta. They should keep that in mind, but I know they wont. :)
I can't wait for the howls and screams of people complaining that they should be able to keep their characters from the beta into the final. Even though that makes no logical sense, they'll beg and plead and make stupid "well now I'm not going to buy the game" comments. ;)

-Bolty
Quote:Considering the mods here are generally liberals who seem to have a soft spot for fascism and white supremacy (despite them saying otherwise), me being perma-banned at some point is probably not out of the question.
JustAGuy,Sep 5 2004, 07:16 PM Wrote:I see. I was wondering what the heck was going on. That'd be a shame if our characters were lost before the completion of the beta (we all know that we're going to lose them at the end, it'd be nice to not have to re-start so early).

I hope they can recover that database. I was only 30g away from a non-race mount...
Well if y'all didn't know they managed to recover from the problems and afaik no one was deleted. If you're around this week we should try to hit Scarlet Monastery and Uldaman to get you your gold. :)
Quote:Well if y'all didn't know they managed to recover from the problems and afaik no one was deleted. If you're around this week we should try to hit Scarlet Monastery and Uldaman to get you your gold.
Sounds good to me. Just as we were about to hit those places up, the whole shindig goes kaputsky. I'm collecting some quests to go there, but I can only find two that are applicable:

1. Stormwind Cathedral - Down the Scarlet Path (which turns into -- In The Name Of The Light (Southshore) )
2. Ironforge - Mythology Of The Titans

There's a mage one (Rituals of Power), but I'm no mage.

Here's Bolty's Primer on the Scarlet Monastery. It gives good information on the strategy for killing the bosses, but what about the quests involved in it? Do people just go there for kicks and loot?
"Yay! We did it!"
"Who are you?"
"Um, uh... just ... a guy." *flee*
JustAGuy,Sep 6 2004, 07:25 PM Wrote:It gives good information on the strategy for killing the bosses, but what about the quests involved in it? Do people just go there for kicks and loot?
Yes :)
Thottbot lists a third non-class specific quest (the one collecting basilisk scales in Stonetalon), but the information is wrong or outdated. I did that quest some while ago and there was no connection to the Scarlet Monastery.

For a monastery, I believe the correct term is "pillage".
"I may be old, but I'm not dead."
Tal,Sep 6 2004, 06:46 PM Wrote:Well if y'all didn't know they managed to recover from the problems and afaik no one was deleted. If you're around this week we should try to hit Scarlet Monastery and Uldaman to get you your gold. :)
By the way, there's a relatively new instance called Razorfen Downs in the southern Barrens that's right across the road from Razorfen Kraul. It's a level 35-40 instance, and I found it to be very fun. It has a lot of undead in it (mixed with some non-undead), so priests and paladins should particularly enjoy it. There's one quest in the SW Cathedral for it with some great rewards iirc and one quest inside the instance itself. There's also a special alchemy trainer tucked away inside the instance. Anyway, if you get tired of running the SM over and over, give Razorfen Downs a try!

P.S. When the patch introducing Razorfen Downs came out, the quest in SW required you to be level 37 to get it. It's possible that the level requirement was reduced in the latest patch, though. I certainly sent in some /suggests about that.