Iron Wolves
I have always like Iron Wolves. They are by far (in my own opinion) the most interesting mercenary of the lot. Too bad they aren't more powerful.

I am curious as to what an "ideal" equipment set up would be for a cold Iron Wolf. I am not entirely sure how exactly + skill affect them, so some expert opinions would be greatly appreciated.
US East Hardcore Ladder
Fire iron wolves benefit from +fire skills. All iron wolves benefit from +all skills and +specific skills they already use (for example, from Ormus' Robes). They don't benefit from +sorceress skills or any +skilltab.
I guess the ideal might be

Vamp gaze --> Damage reduction (alternatively Rockstopper for minor damage reduction plus resistances)
heart of the oak --> Faster cast, skills, resistances, etc
Enigma --> Don't really know what the enigma does, but all the kids use them ;)
Lidless --> Faster cast + skill.

(And each item socketed with a unique jewel for the elemtent the merc is using.)
Ask me about Norwegian humour Smile
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTs9SE2sDTw
They can't use Heart of the Oak.
But they do benefit from fast cast and - resistance jewels?
US East Hardcore Ladder
Yes.
if you are really rich, socketing a 6 socket crystal sword with the right facets is probably the best idea to increase mage merc damage. the ideal would be +30% of one element's damage, -30% monster res. additional facets in the helm, armor and shield could get you even more damage. but acquiring perfect facets could get expensive. picking up some bad facets like 3/4 or something might not be too costly.

in the non-uber-expensive column, for a fire merc, hexfire would be pretty easy to get and effective also.

for cold or lightning, culwen's point could be decent. it has +1 skill and also 20% hit recovery and 50% poison reduction, 2 strong survivability mods for mercs.

azurewrath could be potentially useful for a merc, if he is high enough level to use it, and you can afford it. it gives +1 skill and also the sanctuary aura, which could help him prevent being surrounded by undead flayers or other undead nasties.

im pretty sure that there are no swords with fast cast on them. even hexfire, which is a sorc sword, has none. and as mentioned, heart of the oak wont work since it cant be made in swords. im pretty sure that fast cast does help act 3 mercs, so seek fast cast in your 3 armor slots. lidless is a good start with 20%.
How about Spectral shard while he is levelling up , resistances and 50% Faster cast , must be a help .

Take care
Take care
Raven Vale,Sep 10 2004, 11:31 AM Wrote:How about Spectral shard while he is levelling up , resistances and 50% Faster cast , must be a help .

Take care
Sorry, swords only
Shows what I know :P thought a blade would be counted , cheers .

Take care
Take care
Quote:for cold or lightning, culwen's point could be decent. it has +1 skill and also 20% hit recovery and 50% poison reduction, 2 strong survivability mods for mercs.

As silly as it sounds, the unique scimitar makes a decent act3 merc weapon as well: it has +15% all resists, and a small bonus to life(+15).

I have a cold iron wolf on my lvl 85 conviction zealot. The merc uses Blood Crescent scimitar, a rare circlet with 20% fast cast, stealth armor(fast cast), and an ancients pledge sheild. Right now he survives fine in hell, but that probably has alot to do with the conviction my pally is running. I plan on replacing his sheild soon; he is over resisting by a decent amount with both the +15 from the scimitar and the big bonus from ancients pledge.

The pally soloed to gaurdian(untwinked except for the unique ataghan that my poison javelineer found) without too much trouble, and the merc is a major part of his success.