Trade Skills are now "Professions"
Tal,Sep 10 2004, 01:40 PM Wrote:I've heard this as well and can tell you I'm not looking forward to it in the least. Yes, I realize its Beta, but I have just gotten Sharanna (with the kindly help of Roane) reasonably well outfitted -  garters and all. :rolleyes: I'd hate to have to start back at square one.
The scuttlebutt from a reasonably reliable source is that there will be an item wipe, but that you will get to keep your bags and all equiped items. So, it won't be like last time when people started off naked. I think Blizzard wants to quickly flush out all the raw materials people have stocked up in the bank in order to test out the new trade-skill economy.
Whew...Wait. I lose my tigger? :(
Quote:Does Mind Control still work for getting abilities of the opposite faction?
I didn't even know it worked in the first place! I suppose there would be a language problem with the Wolf trainer... Anyone have a high level mind controller that wants to test this with me?? :)
"Yay! We did it!"
"Who are you?"
"Um, uh... just ... a guy." *flee*
JustAGuy,Sep 10 2004, 06:15 PM Wrote:I didn't even know it worked in the first place! I suppose there would be a language problem with the Wolf trainer... Anyone have a high level mind controller that wants to test this with me?? :)
From the patch notes:
* You can't interact with charmed or possessed NPCs.

This loophole was plugged. The interaction on the trade and skill screens in the past did not require you to know the correct language.
Tal,Sep 10 2004, 07:09 PM Wrote:Whew...Wait. I lose my tigger? :(
Whoops! Sorry for any consternation I caused. One is supposed to be able to keep one's mounts as well.

I suspect there will also be a gold wipe coinciding with the item wipe. However, any skills you learn in the two professions you choose won't be wiped. So, my recommendation is to choose the two professions you want your character to specialize in, sell off all items and raw materials unrelated to those professions, and then spend all your cash purchasing raw materials to skill up the two professions you're keeping. Then, skill up as high as you can and buy any recipes you don't know already from the Auction House. Also, buy any wearable items that might improve your gear in any way, even if the price seems steep to you. There's no sense being a penny-pincher when everyone's pennies are going to be wiped anyway.
Our pennies will be wiped?! I better hurry and get that mount, then.
"Yay! We did it!"
"Who are you?"
I find myself very much against the forthcoming trade skill changes, and I sincerely hope Blizzard will rethink the solution. To my understanding the only real problem is the over competition for limited global resources, spcifically minerals and herbs. I can understand why Blizzard does not wish to simply sow more seeds, but the proposed fix is simplistic and heavy handed.

Skill points should be retained. They are analogous to the traditional apprentice system for acquiring a skilled trade, as opposed to the fee based education model of most modern institutions of higher learning. The latter has its counterpart in the class trainers, who currently pander their professions throughout Kalimdor and the Eastern Kingdoms. Certainly a world as large as Warcraft has room for both.

I am in favor of the proposed change to make the higher level trainers more difficult to find. But rather than impose a fixed limit of two professions and arbitrary level requirements on the profession grades, I suggest a logarithmic progression of the skill point requirements for additional professions. For example, the first journeyperson trade skill grade acquired might take 100 skill points, journeyperson in a second might take 200, and in the third 400. Someone like Mongo might eventually earn all the available skills, but it would be very, very difficuslt to do so. Further I would remove all level restrictions on professions.

Personally I am waiting for them to add prostitution.
"I may be old, but I'm not dead."
Quote:Personally I am waiting for them to add prostitution.

hehe :)
lemekim,Sep 10 2004, 09:32 AM Wrote:http://www.worldofwarcraft.com/thread.aspx...al&T=294407&P=1

No "foo" mules (or not as easy)
Oh, come on. I had a realms ladder hardcore hell game creation mule, and it wasn't even that hard for me to get it, but that's because I had friends who helped. You play alone, you can't do this kind of thing, and for each profession you want to do you have to make a whole new character.
Quote:Oh, come on. I had a realms ladder hardcore hell game creation mule, and it wasn't even that hard for me to get it, but that's because I had friends who helped. You play alone, you can't do this kind of thing, and for each profession you want to do you have to make a whole new character.

Level 35 doesn't seem like a big hurdle to me now that I've played the game a lot more and understand how things work. I take a while to level simply because I like to explore and try out stuff. But if I wanted to power level to 35 to make my mule, it wouldn't take long at all. Probably a few days. That is, if I didn't get bored first.

In my case, I wanted to try out a hunter anyway, so I figure I'll play my hunter a fair amount but have him assigned to professions mostly designed to help my priestess -- I'm thinking tailoring and alchemy. Then, my priestess can send herbs and cloth to my hunter for processing. Seems pretty simple.

And it also seems to make Blizzard's new rule kind of pointless.
1 gold to dance for you.
MongoJerry,Sep 11 2004, 05:24 AM Wrote:And it also seems to make Blizzard's new rule kind of pointless.

Exactly.

Up till now I have led a simple, sheltered life -- aiding damsels in distress and offing magistrates. Always enough gold for what I need and most of what I want (thanks to Blizzard for the free horse). Before the announcement of this new atrocity I had never sullied myself in the auction house!

Now with the enforced separation of related skills it seems the best plan for a beginning hero is to make one's way to Loch Modan and befriend a hapless miner. Team up with, say, a Night Elf druid whose guild has been dissolved, then find a black mask somewhere and start making silver bullets. Someone should tell Blizzard the plot was done in the last century.
If you want a wolf, fight for the Horde :P
ArrayPaladins were not meant to sit in the back of the raid staring at health bars all day, spamming heals and listening to eight different classes whine about buffs.[/quote]
The original Heavy Metal Cow™. USDA inspected, FDA approved.
http://www.worldofwarcraft.com/thread.aspx...&p=1#post300538

Tal is happy. :)
Quote:Tal is happy. :)

And will have to change classes....to streetwalker.... :D
Sith Warriors - They only class that gets a new room added to their ship after leaving Hoth, they get a Brooncloset

Einstein said Everything is Relative.
Heisenberg said Everything is Uncertain.
Therefore, everything is relatively uncertain.
Bah, Filthy Horde. Dwellers in darkness. Mighty Paladins of the Alliance will shine the light of justice upon your evil souls!

Speaking of wolves; I saw a Human Warrior riding a Brown Wolf in Iron Forge. He managed to get one in the last push... Sure did look cool, although I'd rather ride a black one. What would be interesting is if the whole "Hero" concept that Blizzard is exploring allowed Heroes to learn other languages and eventually interact with opposing faction trainers. The idea would be to allow for Humans riding wolves and the like, but only to the most dedicated of players. It would give me something to aim for anyway, instead of just getting 100g like it is now. Now that I've realized what my cash cow is, getting gold won't be all that difficult in the next push/patch/whatever (it's Alchemy. I'm making a killing off of healing and mana potions!).
"Yay! We did it!"
"Who are you?"
I will get modest pants one of these days...oh yes...they will be mine. ;) :D
JustAGuy,Sep 12 2004, 05:38 PM Wrote:Bah, Filthy Horde. Dwellers in darkness. Mighty Paladins of the Alliance will shine the light of justice upon your evil souls!
Like that party we wiped out on our way out of Scarlet Monastery! ;)