Mercenary Equipment Suggestions?
Assur,Oct 28 2004, 03:35 PM Wrote:All the runewords, except the last 4 work in SP, and you can cube right up to Zod in SP too. Just download ATMA and start working, you'll have highend runes coming out of your ears faster than you can fill out your tax return :D

good karma
[right][snapback]58486[/snapback][/right]

Speaking from experience on ATMA-assisted rune hunting AND tax returns, the tax return takes a day, at most. And believe you me, even Hell Countess runs won't get you anywhere near the high-end runewords before the end of the month.
Munkay,Oct 28 2004, 01:43 PM Wrote:Well aware, I used the example that during the duration of Ladder Season 1 they did not work in SP to prove that Blizzards focus in on multiplayer.  They work in SP now, but that is a moot point, since it was done after the fact.

Cheers,

Munk
[right][snapback]58492[/snapback][/right]

What you're saying is incorrect.

Runewords like Breath of the Dying were enabled in SP since 1.10 was first released. That is, any time they worked on the realms, they also worked in SP. Currently, only the four new known runewords (Splendor, Duress, Wind, and Prudence) and the 23 new unknown runewords don't exist in SP.
[quote=Zingydex,Oct 28 2004, 10:33 PM]
Speaking from experience on ATMA-assisted rune hunting AND tax returns, the tax return takes a day, at most. And believe you me, even Hell Countess runs won't get you anywhere near the high-end runewords before the end of the month.

Hi

You just have to treat ATMA right ^_^

Since ATMA is for SP only you can get highlevel runes very easily without infringing on the LL rules. It's entirely up to you.

good karma
Prophecy of Deimos
“The world doesn’t end with water, fire, or cold. I’ve divined the coming apocalypse. It ends with tentacles!”

"You just have to treat ATMA right ^_^

Since ATMA is for SP only you can get highlevel runes very easily without infringing on the LL rules. It's entirely up to you."

I did not follow this one.

vmxa,Oct 28 2004, 10:23 PM Wrote:"You just have to treat ATMA right ^_^

Since ATMA is for SP only you can get highlevel runes very easily without infringing on the LL rules. It's entirely up to you."

I did not follow this one.
[right][snapback]58564[/snapback][/right]

I'm guessing that he's saying that, since it's SP, you can cheat all you want.
adeyke,Oct 29 2004, 01:30 AM Wrote:I'm guessing that he's saying that, since it's SP, you can cheat all you want.
[right][snapback]58566[/snapback][/right]

And what I'm saying is, if you play honestly, you will see a Zod in SP about as often as you win the lottery, if that.
Zingydex,Oct 29 2004, 09:24 AM Wrote:And what I'm saying is, if you play honestly, you will see a Zod in SP about as often as you win the lottery, if that.
[right][snapback]58606[/snapback][/right]

Ok, I can go with that.
They dont have to be lying lying around. And the only hard runes to find in the runword are the Vex and Zod runes. So there :P
MikethemizJR,Oct 30 2004, 02:59 PM Wrote:They dont have to be lying lying around. And the only hard runes to find in the runword are the Vex and Zod runes. So there  :P
[right][snapback]58674[/snapback][/right]

Vex and Zod. You just shot your own argument down. Maybe one in a hundred thousand legitimate SP players has seen either, let alone both together.
Zingydex,Oct 29 2004, 11:24 AM Wrote:And what I'm saying is, if you play honestly, you will see a Zod in SP about as often as you win the lottery, if that.

For SP I edit the treasureclassex.txt just a little bit to decrease the chance that a high-level rune will be degraded. The standard odds are pretty ridiculous so I change it so something like 1:250 Zod runes will not be degraded and improve the odds as the rune quality decreases (i.e. 1:250, 1:215, 1:, 1:175...). It still takes a good number of rune drops to get the high-end runes but at least it is realistic.
--Lang

Diabolic Psyche - the site with Diablo on the Brain!
it all depends on what you can afford to equip him with. i would say fort archon, BoTD Great Poleaxe, and Dream Death Visage/ something else good :/ but those are kinda scarce at best. i agree though that you should give him the better gear in every situation where there is a choice. right now im two of three in the list i gave you (just missing the BoTD Great Poleaxe) but just keep looking youll be aight. and remember:

a really good solution is to exp in lower areas to get higher level and then go back so your merc can have a little easier time surviving.

SAMMICHEz
"When i lived here, this was a picture of a naked woman holding a very small plant; very tasteful, no bush.... NOT A PICTURE OF YOUR %^*&ING MOTHER!!!!!!!"<!--sizec--><!--/sizec-->
Quote:it all depends on what you can afford to equip him with. i would say fort archon, BoTD Great Poleaxe, and Dream Death Visage/ something else good :/ but those are kinda scarce at best.

(Yeah I know it's technically thread necromancy, but I could not resist.)

Scarce is an understatement. Outside of SP testing situation, chances are almost any BotD weapon (or anything else involving some high runes) found in online realms are non-kosher.

The higher the runes (IMO almost anything above IST or so starts getting iffy), the higher the chances of them being duped or duping was involved in it's creation.

Aside from that, personally I find BoTD to be a bit over-rated. Yeah yeah uber damage omglolkthxbai. The poison nova is annoying. Some of the mods on it are useless on a merc. There's other weapons that can do well without the need for a ridicilously rare component, or contributes to cheaters and dupers online.

Like say, Crescent Moon, or Obedience runeword.

Despite what some people say on b.net and elsewhere, it -is- possible to build a decent setup without the use of questionable items.

Quote:(Yeah I know it's technically thread necromancy, but I could not resist.)
Scarce is an understatement. Outside of SP testing situation, chances are almost any BotD weapon (or anything else involving some high runes) found in online realms are non-kosher.

The higher the runes (IMO almost anything above IST or so starts getting iffy), the higher the chances of them being duped or duping was involved in it's creation.

Aside from that, personally I find BoTD to be a bit over-rated. Yeah yeah uber damage omglolkthxbai. The poison nova is annoying. Some of the mods on it are useless on a merc. There's other weapons that can do well without the need for a ridicilously rare component, or contributes to cheaters and dupers online.

Like say, Crescent Moon, or Obedience runeword.

Despite what some people say on b.net and elsewhere, it -is- possible to build a decent setup without the use of questionable items.
i totally agree and as i posted that i was hesitant... ive been playing for god knows how long... i can assure you i do not mod hack or whatever... im not smart enough to know how even if i wanted to. granted most of that stuff is non legit i totally agree but i was just saying my opinion. and that being said ive been playing since "jump street" and im ONLY partially there.... trust me i know that scarce was an understatement :lol:
"When i lived here, this was a picture of a naked woman holding a very small plant; very tasteful, no bush.... NOT A PICTURE OF YOUR %^*&ING MOTHER!!!!!!!"<!--sizec--><!--/sizec-->
No love for hone sudan? Big crushing blow and maybe amn sockets. Not too rare and you can even upgrade it for more oomph. And Kelpie snare, though damage is weak the slows target helps a lot. I find that a defiance merc tends to last a lot longer with that weapon. Insight, of course is a good generic merc weapon. Combine with a prayer merc for some good healing for caster characters. The best weapon ever would probably be infinity, due to its crushing blow and conviction reducing defense to nil. Of course, you probaly won't find a legit one for a long while... However, the other options are more than viable in hell mode, even left as their exceptional versions.

For armors griswold's armor is very good for it's decent defense and you can socket more amyphests to give your merc more str to wear the heavier polearms.
Boneflesh is pretty good for a common armor-- leech and open wounds. You may even try upgrading it to exceptional. It's exceptional cousin toothrow doesn't have leech but it does have str and better defense.

Helm, you want some good leech circlet. Or tal's mask. Gullamine's face would be nice and not impossible to be find as well. The list here goes on as unique and set helms are ridiculously good for the most part. But gambling for circlets usually is a good idea and your best bet. . So in summary leech, leech, and more leech.
With great power comes the great need to blame other people.
Guild Wars 2: (ArchonWing.9480) 
Battle.net (ArchonWing.1480)
Quote:No love for hone sudan? Big crushing blow and maybe amn sockets. Not too rare and you can even upgrade it for more oomph. And Kelpie snare, though damage is weak the slows target helps a lot. I find that a defiance merc tends to last a lot longer with that weapon. Insight, of course is a good generic merc weapon. Combine with a prayer merc for some good healing for caster characters.

A big ole hell yeah to all those really, and another hell yeah to Woestave. My merc 'pwn3d' all of nightmare with it, and even the act boss part in Hell mode. Even though that merc now has a CMoon ogre axe as his endgame weapon, Woestave is still in my stash.

Quote:Helm, you want some good leech circlet. Or tal's mask. Gullamine's face would be nice and not impossible to be find as well. The list here goes on as unique and set helms are ridiculously good for the most part. But gambling for circlets usually is a good idea and your best bet. . So in summary leech, leech, and more leech.

A blood crafted helm is another contender for a source of life leech, and has Deadly Strike chance to boot. (my luck with gambling circlets is mostly pretty bad, so I usually just go for the blood craft.)