Wonderful Problems with the Downloader
Just like last time, there are problems with the downloader. They still haven't updated their BitTorrent client to make it not saturate the upstream. Maybe they did, but it just works very poorly, who knows?

For those of you who are having serious downloading problems, like I was, there is hope. I wanted to try this in the last push, but I ended up joining a user-run torrent to get the wow0.9.0.exe file.

As we all know, BitTorrent uploads while it downloads, making it so, in a good implementation, everyone in the torrent benefits from everyone's uploading and downloading. It's a great way to reduce strain on servers and also decrease the overall download time (for the user). In a good implementation, users normally max out their downstream without a problem, leaving the torrent open after they have completed the download, allowing other users to catch up, and add to the total seeds.

The problem with the Blizzard implementation is that, for most unfortunate DSL users (and some Cable I believe), once the BitTorrent client has downloaded a certain amount of data, the client starts uploading that data to everyone and anyone it can find, maxing out the upstream. The DSL lines get saturated by all the uploading, and then can't download, leaving that user with a 1k/s transfer rate and a download that will practically never finish.

Temporary solution? Limit the bandwidth the BitTorrent client has available. Using a third party program, you can limit your bandwidth. This Bandwidth Controller allowed me to enforce a software cap on my line that disallowed BitTorrent from saturating my upstream. Unfortunately, it also limited my downstream, simply because the cap that was being enforced was hitting the maximum.

When you reduce the overall maximum, the DSL line doesn't get saturated. From a software perspective, it still is, but literally, it isn't. For example, I can upload at 88k/s maximum, before my line is overloaded. As I approach 88k/s, latency on all other internet communications increases; web surfing, downloading, whatever. Enforcing a software cap to your bandwidth only partially solves the problem; you will be uploading and downloading at a good rate in BitTorrent, but you probably won't be able to do much more, since the amount of upstream you left yourself with will be completely used, and no acknowledgement packets can go out in a timely manner. They still go out, since they're queued up, but it's not the same as if BitTorrent wasn't chewing up the entire line. The important thing is that they actually DO go out, eventually.

I played with a number of upload rates, and each one I set seemed to match my download rate. For example, I settled on 50k/s upstream, and my downstream for the duration of the BitTorrent client's runtime was 50k/s. This coincides with BitTorrent theory, since all BitTorrent transfers are 1-to-1; someone downloads, and someone uploads. The distribution is uneven in practical situations, but after enforcing a software cap, it just happened to work properly.

So, for those of you having problems with the download, I bet this will help. It's trial-ware, so it'll have to be bought or uninstalled eventually, but for now, it worked well enough for me to recommend it. There are probably better implementations out there. This particular one allows you to enforce bandwidth limitations on a per-port and per-protocol and per-IP basis. I just enforced a broad "all upload traffic cannot exceed 50k/s" rule; I'm sure that limiting uploading on the ports in the 6112 range will greatly inrease BitTorrent speeds.
"Yay! We did it!"
"Who are you?"
"Um, uh... just ... a guy." *flee*
The latest patch downloaded fairly quickly. Unfortunately, just like the last time the patch failed. The first reason given was that I was missing an interface.zip file. I happened to find one which happened to be located in my downloads folder, copied it to the WOW folder and tried installing again. This time the patch failed because the cksum didnt match. ( I do not know what that is and such ignorance limits my troubleshooting capabities) . The next time I tried, the patch failed because I was missing a path (which had the word "uninstall" in it) Again I do not know the significance of that but I do know that I am not able to "uninstall " the game as that term is generally understood. So....I am doing what I had to do last time. I deleted the entire WOW file and am now downloading the 9.1 patch from the site. This presumably includes all of the patches prior to the latest one. After that is complete (and it is going pretty slowly), I will attempt to repatch. This worked last time and I hope it works this time. I am too late in the process of downloading the entire game to try your suggestion, but I certainly will if I have to repeat the process.
Did you have Cosmos installed? I've never used it, and subsequently never had a problem installing a patch. I hear that uninstalling Cosmos is pretty easy, if that's what's causing the problems.
"Yay! We did it!"
"Who are you?"
"Um, uh... just ... a guy." *flee*
I did the first time I tried patching but not the second or third. It is easy to get rid of and normally I do that before each patch. Others I have talked to report that, although Cosmos usually doesn't work following a patch, there are no problems installing over it.
Like a moron, I installed cosmos right before the new patch hit. While I'm excited to try it, I'm having a really hard time playing while my UI is so messed up. Anyway to uninsall it?

Edit: I found this bit of sage advice, but have no way of verifying other than to try it:
Just deleteing the "Interface" folder in your c:/worlds of Warcraft dir will remove it.
-MB
-< You can only be young once, but you can be immature forever >-
Magicbag,Sep 21 2004, 04:48 PM Wrote:Edit: I found this bit of sage advice, but have no way of verifying other than to try it:
Just deleteing the "Interface" folder in your c:/worlds of Warcraft dir will remove it.
-MB
If you feel uncomfortable with jus deleting it, then just rename the folder to something-else and the game willnot see it to use. You could then change the folder name back if you needed to. But just deleting should work fine as the game can regenerate an interface folder if needed later.
When I want to get rid of cosmos I delete the entire interface folder and also send the Cosmos exe to the recycle bin. The latter may not be necessary.
Just confirming that all one need to do get rid of Cosmos is delete the Interface folder. I've done it often.

As a side note, though, my interface problems (mentioned in the other patch related thread) were identical with and without Cosmos installed.
One day, the Champions of the Fierce Bunny will ride again...<!--sizec--><!--/sizec-->
Hi,

Others I have talked to report that, although Cosmos usually doesn't work following a patch, there are no problems installing over it.

I've had Cosmos on almost since I got in. I have never had a problem with Cosmos and a patch -- that would be almost impossible given how patches and UI customization work. Since Blizzard seems to take joy in random unnecessary changes with each patch (a bit of a pisser that each patch has changed the way my characters look -- might just as well have generated them with 'randomize'), Cosmos has to be redone each time. But that's not a problem.

However, if anyone suspects that Cosmos is creating a problem, simply delete the 'Interface' directory and Cosmos will be gone.

--Pete

How big was the aquarium in Noah's ark?