MS wont support IE security except on XP
Clicky! --> http://news.zdnet.com/2100-3513_22-5378366.html

Time to change to Mozilla.
"Man only plays when in the full meaning of the word he is a man, and he is only completely a man when he plays." -- Friedrich von Schiller
The time to change has already been quite a while ago... :)

Internet Explorer is only used on my systems for Windows Update for several months now.

Cheers, Tobias
I made the FireFox switch a while ago and never looked back. FireFox is the best browser out there IMO.
R.I.P. Pete! I can't believe you're gone. Sad
nobbie,Sep 24 2004, 12:43 AM Wrote:Clicky! --> http://news.zdnet.com/2100-3513_22-5378366.html

Time to change to Mozilla.
[right][snapback]56316[/snapback][/right]

They can't do that for long. Not too long ago, they extended support for Windows 98. With so many computers still running that, it will cause MS to look really bad when the next security exploit comes along (in 5 seconds)
And yes, IE is an awful program. If it weren't for those bad website designers that make IE only pages. And no, you do not need to spend extra time to make websites compatible with other browsers if you actualy knew how to properly write one!!
With great power comes the great need to blame other people.
Guild Wars 2: (ArchonWing.9480) 
Battle.net (ArchonWing.1480)
Archon_Wing,Sep 26 2004, 08:04 PM Wrote:They can't do that for long. Not too long ago, they extended support for Windows 98. With so many computers still running that, it will cause MS to look really bad when the next security exploit comes along (in 5 seconds)

Hey Archon Wing,

This was hashed over on Slashdot a couple of days ago. What they appear to be saying is that they will not release security enhancements for anything other that IE on XP. That includes things like the new firewall that was just released.

They should still issue critical updates for IE on older versions of windows as long as they are supported. They almost have to, if they still want to pretend that IE is an integral part of the OS. Stupid US Dept. of Justice - grrr....

That said, I switched to Mozilla several years ago at home (well before Firefox came out), and got all of the general use computers at my lab switched to Firefox over the last couple months. IE gets used for windows update only.

One of these days, I should ugrade my home machines to FireFox - my Mozilla is still v1.2.1, but it keeps plugging along, working better than the newest IE.

-V-
Nomad25055,Sep 25 2004, 07:07 AM Wrote:FireFox is the best browser out there IMO.
[right][snapback]56397[/snapback][/right]
I've been using Firefox for a few weeks now, and I like it pretty well. Before that, I used Opera for several years. So far, I like Firefox very much. Opera still has an edge for me, though, for a few reasons. One, mouse gestures are extremely convenient. Two, it stores pages in cache so when you click Back it doesn't have to refresh the page. This comes in VERY handy when filling out a form. Three, when you restart the browser, you can set it to start up at the same pages you were at when you closed it (especially handy after a crash).

Firefox is probably capable of these things, except for mouse gestures. I think they are proprietary? Not sure.

My gripe with Opera is that it isn't free.
The error occurred on line -1.
Zippyy,Sep 26 2004, 05:55 PM Wrote:Firefox is probably capable of these things, except for mouse gestures.  I think they are proprietary?  Not sure.

http://texturizer.net/firefox/extensions/#mousegest
As XP has a market share of only 52%(in the windows market) this will leave 48% in the cold. On the other hand it will generate a lot of money for poor companies like MS. :)
EyeOfHorus,Sep 26 2004, 11:12 PM Wrote:As XP has a market share of only 52%(in the windows market) this will leave 48% in the cold. On the other hand it will generate a lot of money for poor companies like MS.  :)
[right][snapback]56509[/snapback][/right]

A lot of people don't care and wouldn't bother to pay so much to upgrade. I know I wouldn't. I'd rather switch to Linux or something else. :o
Archon_Wing,Sep 27 2004, 01:09 AM Wrote:A lot of  people don't care and wouldn't bother to pay  so much to upgrade. I know I wouldn't. I'd rather switch to Linux or something else. :o
[right][snapback]56510[/snapback][/right]

The only time I ever upgrade my os is when buying a new computer. :lol:
The Bill of No Rights
The United States has become a place where entertainers and professional athletes are mistaken for people of importance. Robert A. Heinlein
Considering how insanely overpriced that thing that Microsoft has the audacity to call an "operating system," I wouldn't blame you. :D

I mean imagine this:

You buy a car, and three years later the car dealer says the car has a defect that could cause it to explode any moment. However, they will only fix this for cars made for the last year. You can upgrade your car or buy a new one. Would you still trust that company? Oh wait, that's almost about the only type of car you can buy.

Is that a fair comparison? No. Just like the pricing ;)

That being said, I like Xp for it's pretty buttons. And that song plays when you first install Windows (If you don't know what that is, it's located in C:\WINDOWS\system32\oobe\images\title.wma). :o