Hey parents, what show is your kid hooked on?
My two year old son has a major thingie for Dora the Explorer. He absolutely loves this show. Any attempt to change channels during Dora is met with severe resistance. He once threw his juice cup at my head when I changed channels. It hit me right in the face. I've learned my lesson.

My son also goes nuts over Thomas the train. He yells "CHOO CHOO!" every 1.3 seconds while this show is on. I must admit I kinda like this show. George Carlin narrates. <3 George Carlin.

Blue's Clues is another favourite. I think Steve is a better host than Joe, but that's just my subjective opinion.

I tried to watch Boobah one day, but I could not for the life of me figure it out, nor do I want to. Boobah is creepy. WAYYY too creepy.

edit: How could I forget about Bob the Builder?
Teen Titans :o Just last year it was Angelina Ballerina, what happened? Spongebob was a family favorite, but I think we've seen every episode about 500 times by now.

Dora was never popular here. Little Gris was scared of Swiper (and still is, I think). She can watch Teen Titans battle the villain of the day with no problem, but not Swiper.

I haven't seen Boobah yet, but we haven't escaped its clutches entirely. She went to a sleepover recently, and apparently the kids decided to stay up late, then set the alarm for very early in the morning so they could get up and watch Boobah. :huh:
Why can't we all just get along

--Pete
Griselda,Sep 25 2004, 12:42 AM Wrote:Teen Titans&nbsp; :o
Same here for my little girl. She also likes Justice League, Justice League Unlimited, Dora the Explorer, Braceface and anything even remotely related to Halloween. *whistles innocently*
Griselda,Sep 25 2004, 01:48 AM Wrote:Dora was never popular here.&nbsp; Little Gris was scared of Swiper (and still is, I think).&nbsp; She can watch Teen Titans battle the villain of the day with no problem, but not Swiper.

Little DeeBye just yells "UH OHH!" when Swiper makes his appearance.

My wife just went out to the flea market today and bought like 10 new Dora, Thomas, Blue's Clues, and Bob the Builder videos (we'll get DVDs when he learns to stop snapping them in half :angry: ), so he should be entertained for the next day or two.

I'm actually enjoying watching all of these kid's shows with Little DeeBye.
My five year old little brother was big on Bob the Builder for a while. We have the plates, cups, drink bottles, and some lego sets. These days, I'm not really sure what he's watching since I'm hardly home, and almost always at the computer when I am.

I will, however, say that Dora the Explorer freaks the hell out of me. Those big, round eyes just staring you down with the permanent grins on their lips... *shudders*

I'd have to agree that Steve seems to be a better host than Joe. Blue's Clues without him just seems off somehow.

And how can I forget Thomas. It was one of my favourite shows as a kid.
YZilla,Sep 26 2004, 05:09 AM Wrote:My five year old little brother was big on Bob the Builder for a while. We have the plates, cups, drink bottles, and some lego sets. These days, I'm not really sure what he's watching since I'm hardly home, and almost always at the computer when I am.

I will, however, say that Dora the Explorer freaks the hell out of me. Those big, round eyes just staring you down with the permanent grins on their lips... *shudders*

I'd have to agree that Steve seems to be a better host than Joe. Blue's Clues without him just seems off somehow.

And how can I forget Thomas. It was one of my favourite shows as a kid.
[right][snapback]56407[/snapback][/right]

My 7 year old cousin lives with my parents. Whenever I babysit I watch Quintin Terinteno (sic?) movies with him. I think censorship among children is just stupid. They're going to see these movies eventually, and as long as they know the difference between right and wrong, I mean wth. Maybe if we stopped making such a big deal about sex, violence, and swearing, everything could be appropriate for kids, and we wouldn't have all this 'when your older' crap.
unrealshadow13,Sep 26 2004, 12:27 AM Wrote:My 7 year old cousin lives with my parents. Whenever I babysit I watch Quintin Terinteno (sic?) movies with him. I think censorship among children is just stupid. They're going to see these movies eventually, and as long as they know the difference between right and wrong, I mean wth. Maybe if we stopped making such a big deal about sex, violence, and swearing, everything could be appropriate for kids, and we wouldn't have all this 'when your older' crap.

Because very few kids have the capacity to always know when that kind of material is appropriate.
My little cousin is enthralled with a show called Caillou(sp?) which, aside from having a weird name, is a run-of-the-mill, "Today's episode is Learning to Share" kind of program.

But honestly, I remember when I was a kid...The Mighty Morphin Power Rangers was the coolest thing. The original, now, not these hokey "Dinosaur Ninja Action Force" episodes that are being ejected out of the bowels of ABC family.

Barney and Sesame Street seem to be losing steam as well. Where Have All the Merrymakers Gone? (brownie points if you can name the artist)

And finally, who can forget Mister Roger's Neighborhood?

Aye, those were the glory days.
"Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. At least you'll be a mile away from them and you'll have their shoes." ~?

Stonemaul - Sneakybast, 51 Rogue
Terenas - Sneaksmccoy, 1 Rogue

Sword of Omens, give me sight beyond sight!
I remember the first violent movie with real {fake} blood was Bronco Billy, which I saw at a drive-in theatre when I was 12. After one guy was gunned down with simulated entrance and exit wounds I felt very nauseous.

But, the science indicates that desensitizing a person to an act reduces the inhibitions to commit the act, whether that be language, drug use, violence, or sexuality.

Outside studies/documents on the effects of violence, sex, and language in the media.
”There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

[Image: yVR5oE.png][Image: VKQ0KLG.png]

Griselda,Sep 24 2004, 09:48 PM Wrote:Teen Titans&nbsp; :o&nbsp; Just last year it was Angelina Ballerina, what happened?&nbsp; Spongebob was a family favorite, but I think we've seen every episode about 500 times by now.

Dora was never popular here.&nbsp; Little Gris was scared of Swiper (and still is, I think).&nbsp; She can watch Teen Titans battle the villain of the day with no problem, but not Swiper.

I haven't seen Boobah yet, but we haven't escaped its clutches entirely.&nbsp; She went to a sleepover recently, and apparently the kids decided to stay up late, then set the alarm for very early in the morning so they could get up and watch Boobah.&nbsp; :huh:
[right][snapback]56390[/snapback][/right]

Teen Titans is great! Hell, even I watch it sometimes when it comes on. :)
With great power comes the great need to blame other people.
Guild Wars 2: (ArchonWing.9480) 
Battle.net (ArchonWing.1480)
Glory Days?

The Friendly Giant :)

Quick Draw McGraw and Babalouie :P

Ruff 'n Ready (It took a while for that one to percolate through aging memory :rolleyes: )

As to what my children prefer to watch? The two older ones were fans of Power Rangers and Sesame Street. The younger ones were fans of Rug Rats, and the youngest (now eight) confesses to still liking it the best. And they all watched Mr. Dressup (the Canadian version of Mr. Rogers).

However, they all still love The Simpsons. And, given no TV reception (such as when at the cottage) they will re-watch Monty Python and Fawlty Towers skits on video until I kick them outside.

Edit: This post was intended to be a reply to Premezilla's post, but showed up as a reply to the original post. Oops.
And you may call it righteousness
When civility survives,
But I've had dinner with the Devil and
I know nice from right.

From Dinner with the Devil, by Big Rude Jake

Funny, I've been watching violent films and TV shows for years, and I haven't gunned anyone down.

Yet. :P

Occhi
Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Men 'O War!
In War, the outcome is never final. --Carl von Clausewitz--
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
John 11:35 - consider why.
In Memory of Pete
No children of my own yet, but I do have several nephews and nieces.

Sponge Bob is a huge hit, as is Dora. Caillou(making up the spelling), Barney and Teletubbies are popular with the niece, but not her brother. Thomas is loved by the 4 year old boy, but not so hot with his sister.

They enjoy watching a few older kids shows as well, such as Fairly Odd Parents, but they like Dora/Sponge Bob the best.

Nothing compares to me youngest niece's TV addiction though: She's only 4 months old, yet is entranced by the TV. She'll sit happily in front of it for hours. My sister has been trying to stop her from watching TV, but her husband(among others) keeps using it help calm the baby down.

She will be quite the TV fanatic when she gets older, I suspect.
If you asked my mother that question, she would look at you funny and say, "God, she hardly ever watches TV".
Creator of "The Corrupted Wish Game": Rules revised 06/15/05
"It was a quiet day...the kind of quiet that happens just before the entire Sioux nation comes up over the ridge."
[Image: cobalt-60.jpg] Click here for a free iPod!
But, I bet you apply a filter for the little rogues. For my 2 and 4 year old I have to be careful what I watch when they wander in and jump on my lap, so, yes, I'm looking forward to the day when my sons and I can watch samarai or action films together.

My 4 yr old is enthralled with Pokemon, Digimon and Yu-Gi-Oh. But, he likes the more age appropriate shows that he and the 2yr old can watch, like Dora, Magic School Bus, Rollie Pollie Ollie, or Blues Clues. He went thru a phase with Thomas, but he really is in love with dinosaurs and dragons. We have used e-bay to build up a library of age appropriate videos, rather than rely on the whims of "whats on". They are both limited to watching 1hr of TV per day, and 1hr of computer time per day. The computer games are developmental and educational, like Reader Rabbit. Developmentally, my kids are at an age where they need to be using their imaginations in creative play, rather than being zombies in front of the boob tube.

I think some books and films are good way to take advantage of media to communicate good values in helping my sons to learn how to be good friends, good men, and good citizens.
”There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

Oops, I'm dazed and confused. See below. I cannot wait for the old skin to be back.

I used to watch Nova a lot back around 3rd or 4th grade, also general stuff on PBS. Now I barely ever watch T.V.
I may be dead, but I'm not old (source: see lavcat)

The gloves come off, I'm playing hardball. It's fourth and 15 and you're looking at a full-court press. (Frank Drebin in The Naked Gun)

Some people in forums do the next best thing to listening to themselves talk, writing and reading what they write (source, my brother)
Well, Im a huge cartoon fanatic, though there are quite a few shows that are just too dumb to watch.

My 12 year old cousin is realling into Yu-Gi-Oh (Or as I call it "Exposition Theater") Supposidly he plays the card game as well...but after years of playing Magic: the Gathering myself, I think the game is completly lacking in any strategy whatsoever.

Lemme see...went on a bit of a tanget there...oh! A little off topic, but if anyone is interested in seeing all if your CN and some Nick characters in an online doujinshi manga, Here is something you'll absolutly love. (link starts at the 1st page).
"You can build a perfect machine out of imperfect parts."
-Urza

He's an old-fashioned Amish cyborg with no name. She's a virginal nymphomaniac fairy princess married to the Mob. Together, they fight crime!

The Blizzcon Class Discussion:
Crowd: "Our qq's will blot out the sun"
Warlocks: "Then we will pewpew in the shade"
Urza-DSF,Sep 27 2004, 03: Wrote:...but after years of playing Magic: the Gathering myself

The sons spent an utterly amazing number of hours playing that game this summer. The card piles grew to unmanageable levels, what with all the "I need to make a new deck to try this combination out."

It was hard on newcomers to the cottage. :o They were relegated to bystander status while the 'regulars' carried on. Every now and again I would have to boot them all outside, only to find the game played out on the deck instead.

But any game that can hold the rapt attention of an age range from 8 to 18 is a good thing. :D

And they scorn Yu-Gi-Oh too! The only games that could rival Magic: The Gathering were crokinole and a very few standard card games.
And you may call it righteousness
When civility survives,
But I've had dinner with the Devil and
I know nice from right.

From Dinner with the Devil, by Big Rude Jake

ShadowHM,Sep 27 2004, 03:20 PM Wrote:The sons spent an utterly amazing number of hours playing that game this summer.&nbsp; The card piles grew to unmanageable levels, what with all the "I need to make a new deck to try this combination out."

It was hard on newcomers to the cottage.&nbsp; :o&nbsp; &nbsp; They were relegated to bystander status while the 'regulars' carried on.&nbsp; Every now and again I would have to boot them all outside, only to find the game played out on the deck instead.&nbsp;

But any game that can hold the rapt attention of an age range from 8 to 18 is a good thing.&nbsp; :D

And they scorn Yu-Gi-Oh too!&nbsp; The only games that could rival Magic: The Gathering were crokinole and a very few standard card games.
[right][snapback]56576[/snapback][/right]

I'm hooked on Fillmore myself. Some ABC show about a "Safety patroller". I really shouldn't like it but I do. :D I play MTG also, and scorn Yu-gi- that other thing.
[Image: KenyaSig.png]

[wcip Wrote:Angel,Jul 2 2004, 11:19 AM]
unrealshadow13,Jul 2 2004, 11:02 AM Wrote:I find that a sorceress serves me better when doing MF runs. I have yet to find a useful niche for werewolves... They are a slow killer (imo) and my old werewolf always got owned in pvp.
Does that mean someone else owns your werewolf? How is that possible? He's on *your* account, isn't he?