Can we set all users default view to Outline?
Since I'm not seeing a good way to permanently change the view to Outline in the Controls and since the Outline view will show all the parents of a child when clicked (much less clicking than the old threaded hack though I think I like VBulletins hybrid view better) I think it would be advantageous to go with the Outline view as the forum default view for everyone if possible.

I know there is a lot more tweaking and work to be done, but with things being left in linear view you're just going to encourage the linear view style of posting and I like my threading. :)
---
It's all just zeroes and ones and duct tape in the end.
Can you tell me if there is a way to set MY default viewing option to Linear? I like my Linear :)

Greetings

Nuur
"I'm a cynical optimistic realist. I have hopes. I suspect they are all in vain. I find a lot of humor in that." -Pete

I'll remember you.
NuurAbSaal,Sep 26 2004, 11:27 AM Wrote:Can you tell me if there is a way to set MY default viewing option to Linear? I like my Linear :)

Greetings

Nuur
[right][snapback]56455[/snapback][/right]
Even on the other invision boards I visit, there's nothing in the control panel that allows each individual user to set the viewing. However, at the TES official forums (that use the same software or else a very similar version to this) if you select the standard view for one thread, it will have it be that way for all threads until you select another viewing style (the same with manually selecting linear+ or outline). I'm hoping that Bolty (or some helpful little elves) will figure out how the TES boards did it. I do like the outline better personally, but to each his own. :)
Intolerant monkey.
Treesh,Sep 26 2004, 01:25 PM Wrote:I'm hoping that Bolty (or some helpful little elves) will figure out how the TES boards did it.  I do like the outline better personally, but to each his own. :)
[right][snapback]56462[/snapback][/right]

Are these "TES Boards" also running Invision 2.0?

-Bolty
Quote:Considering the mods here are generally liberals who seem to have a soft spot for fascism and white supremacy (despite them saying otherwise), me being perma-banned at some point is probably not out of the question.
This has been moved over to The Lounge where Bolty requested problems posts
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Wouldn't this be a cookie issue? Since other cookies don't seem to be sticking, I think that this is another manifestation of the same problem.

Problems I've noticed so far (besides no longer having our nice, homey, old world skin to greet our visits):

- login doesn't stick, even just going between forums/threads (haven't pinned down when it gets lost - only sometimes sticks within a forum but not between forums)

- view option doesn't stick

- individual post icons in threaded view list don't indicate new vs read posts - don't know if they ever did - I never liked threaded view but if new/read was indicated per post, it would be liveable - the only time I ever used it was when I had to make sense of a post that seemed inconsistent

- reply auto-quotes - it seems that the quote button is a toggle to turn this off or on (hence the +/-) but setting it to -/red still gives an auto-quote (mostly just an extra step to clear it if you don't want a quote but still something that seems borked)

- maybe my old eyes are missing it but there doesn't seem to be a title option for replies (eliminating title replies with an NT body)

- this is a test, this is only a test <_< :( :) :D :P :angry: :blink: :huh: :lol: :o :ph34r: :rolleyes: :unsure: ;) B)

[edit] - oops just found another one - sometimes the outline/standard links get reveresed - sometimes clicking on standard will still show me the outline(threaded) view and clicking standard again does nothing to change it - in this case, ckicking on outline then switches to standard as if the links are toggles rather than selections

BTW, good work so far Bolty, just getting things up and running this soon. If you are still coherent, you are probably thinking "are we having fun yet?" Hey, someone should make a web site with that title! Arewehavingfunyet.com - I like the sound of that. Whoever got hold of that would probably be too lazy to do anything useful with it though.

[edit 2] What is Linear+ supposed to do and how does it differ from standard and/or threaded? It seems to be some kind of hybrid but I am not sure if that is the real function or just some byproduct of the other view problems.

[edit 3] - if a topic has multiple pages, the page numbers listed next to the title, on the forum topic list, don't work - for example, nobbies mod topic has 7 pages shown - clicking on 2 or 3 or 7 all give nobbie's topic starting post - of note is that, even though the posts are all the same, the number in the upper right corner changes (1 shows #1, 2 shows #21, 3 shows #41)
Lochnar[ITB]
Freshman Diablo

[Image: jsoho8.png][Image: 10gmtrs.png]

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
"You don't know how strong you can be until strong is the only option."
"Think deeply, speak gently, love much, laugh loudly, give freely, be kind."
"Talk, Laugh, Love."
I like to be able to run over long winded topics realitively quickly, such as the case was in the Gay Marriage debate. So as much as I agree that threading is better, I find a use for linear as well.

The only issue with the forum default being threaded is when you click on the 2nd (or higher) page in linear view, it automatically reverts back into threaded. Making the 2+ pages impossible to read in Linear.

Maybe this is a bug? Is this fixable?

It may also be a result of my setting firefox to automatically deny outside cookies, though I have set a hole in that for anything lurkerlounge.com/. Hrm.

Cheers,

Munk
Bolty,Sep 26 2004, 04:05 PM Wrote:Are these "TES Boards" also running Invision 2.0?

-Bolty
[right][snapback]56482[/snapback][/right]

Yes. They're running Invision Power Board v2.0.0 PF 3, according to the info at the bottom of their forums.
Intolerant monkey.
Gnollguy,Sep 26 2004, 05:52 AM Wrote:Since I'm not seeing a good way to permanently change the view to Outline in the Controls and since the Outline view will show all the parents of a child when clicked (much less clicking than the old threaded hack though I think I like VBulletins hybrid view better) I think it would be advantageous to go with the Outline view as the forum default view for everyone if possible.

I know there is a lot more tweaking and work to be done, but with things being left in linear view you're just going to encourage the linear view style of posting and I like my threading.&nbsp; :)
[right][snapback]56425[/snapback][/right]

Yeah, I'm having problems with this too. Dangit, ah well, I gues some extra clicks aren't too bad. <_<
[Image: KenyaSig.png]

[wcip Wrote:Angel,Jul 2 2004, 11:19 AM]
unrealshadow13,Jul 2 2004, 11:02 AM Wrote:I find that a sorceress serves me better when doing MF runs. I have yet to find a useful niche for werewolves... They are a slow killer (imo) and my old werewolf always got owned in pvp.
Does that mean someone else owns your werewolf? How is that possible? He's on *your* account, isn't he?
Nantuko_Primus,Sep 26 2004, 10:37 PM Wrote:Yeah, I'm having problems with this too. Dangit, ah well, I gues some extra clicks aren't too bad.&nbsp; <_<
[right][snapback]56504[/snapback][/right]

Many of the problems should now be fixed since Bolty has fixed the cookie issues that were causing many of the problems.

The view type that you select should now stay that way until you select a different one.
---
It's all just zeroes and ones and duct tape in the end.
Gnollguy,Sep 27 2004, 10:31 AM Wrote:The view type that you select should now stay that way until you select a different one.
[right][snapback]56524[/snapback][/right]

Which I am most thankful for as well, since I prefer Linear views. :-)

If anyone finds any other problems with the board or doesn't like how something is working, please let me know!

-Bolty
Quote:Considering the mods here are generally liberals who seem to have a soft spot for fascism and white supremacy (despite them saying otherwise), me being perma-banned at some point is probably not out of the question.
Bolty,Sep 27 2004, 05:00 PM Wrote:If anyone finds any other problems with the board or doesn't like how something is working, please let me know!
[right][snapback]56573[/snapback][/right]
Oh my, Bolty, please don't ban me for life, but I seem to have found another problem. :unsure: Nobbie's classic style mod post in Atma's Tavern seems to be a good stress test. I saw that there was a new post by Zingydex. If you click on the last post link, you will be taken to it. If you use linear view, you will find it as the last post on the last page (all pages of which we can now get to). However, if you are in outline view, look at the post tree at the bottom. The first page of the tree shows 100 posts. There is a link in the lower left corner to get to page 2 of the tree. If you try to see page 2 of the tree, however, the only post that shows is Nobbie's first post. There should be 40 more posts on that second page but are not to be found. This means that outline view users can't get to posts past #100 with the exception of the last post as linked on the topic page.

Also, care to share any details on the cookie fix? I see that the cookie path and expiration have both been changed. Was it the expiration that needed to be fixed? I also noticed that the cookie expires in 1 year. Does that mean we are going to have to log in and reset our views next year? Man you ask a lot of us! ;)

Also note my self-appointed member title. :lol:
Lochnar[ITB]
Freshman Diablo

[Image: jsoho8.png][Image: 10gmtrs.png]

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
"You don't know how strong you can be until strong is the only option."
"Think deeply, speak gently, love much, laugh loudly, give freely, be kind."
"Talk, Laugh, Love."
LochnarITB,Sep 27 2004, 07:40 PM Wrote:...
This means that outline view users can't get to posts past #100 with the exception of the last post as linked on the topic page.

Also, care to share any details on the cookie fix?
[right][snapback]56583[/snapback][/right]

Lochnar, it smells like a bug in 2.0 with outline view not handling huge threads well. First of all, why should outline view even HAVE more than one page? Getting information out of Invision will be tough because this is the free version and access to all support is only given to those who aren't cheap like me.

As for the cookies, changing the path for the cookies seems to have solved the problem, handling the expirations at the same time. Go figure.

-Bolty
Also, where are the "rules" and "netiquette" sections? I fear going too long without the backbone of the Lounge, will cause it to crumble.
Ask me about Norwegian humour Smile
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTs9SE2sDTw
[wcip]Angel,Sep 29 2004, Wrote:Also, where are the "rules" and "netiquette" sections? I fear going too long without the backbone of the Lounge, will cause it to crumble.
[right][snapback]56678[/snapback][/right]

Coming with the skin(s).

-Bolty