Forum Skin Status
Skinning Invision Boards is NOT a simple process. In version 1.1, it took a number of hours to do, and from what I saw, it's quite the same in 2.0. This is because you have to set up *every* last thing. It's great for customibility, but the cost is the effort required.

The reason we're looking at this...BLUE...is because on upgrading to 2.0, the old skin (based on the 1.1 forum design) was basically thrashing the forum. The skin featured heavy customization that removed all post count information from the forum, along with css changes, image swaps, the works. In 2.0, it was causing errors - links were missing, drop down boxes were empty, etc.

I will re-make the skins in 2.0 format, but these will not be installed until later this week (perhaps this weekend). Until then, please make do with this bluish one that fits the theme of the site about as much as that glove REALLY fit O.J. Simpson. I just want to qualm any fears that this skin might be a permanent one. It's not.

Between you and me, the Lo-Fi Version beats any skin job anyhow - for browsing, at least. :)

When I get the skin(s) in, please make comments or suggestions here. Also, if there's something cool you see in an IPB skin from another forum (huge flashing .gif pictures notwithstanding) and you'd like me to take a look at it for an idea here, feel free to point it out! Those of you who are familiar with past site jobs know that I thoroughly enjoy ugly color combinations.

-Bolty
Quote:Considering the mods here are generally liberals who seem to have a soft spot for fascism and white supremacy (despite them saying otherwise), me being perma-banned at some point is probably not out of the question.
Thanks again, Bolty!

In the meantime, I'll just wince and mutter everytime I load up something. No harm, really... and it's not as if such a miniscule and trivial fashion detail would keep me from reading the forums, after all.

*wince*

*mutter*

*wince*

*mutter*

Garnered Wisdom --

If it has more than four legs, kill it immediately.
Never hesitate to put another bullet into the skull of the movie's main villain; it'll save time on the denouement.
Eight hours per day of children's TV programming can reduce a grown man to tears -- PM me for details.
I actually rather enjoy the bluish theme. Granted, it's a huge contrast from what the Lounge used to look like, and even though it does feel slighly unnatural, it's still easy on the eye.

I'm using this skin on another board I frequent, so the only downside to The LL having this skin is that I sometimes forget on which board I'm currently posting.

Btw: :lol: vs [Image: lol.gif]... Couldn't we get the moving on? :)
Ask me about Norwegian humour Smile
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTs9SE2sDTw
Hi,

Bolty,Sep 27 2004, 02:57 PM Wrote:Between you and me, the Lo-Fi Version beats any skin job anyhow - for browsing, at least.  :)
[right][snapback]56571[/snapback][/right]

Maybe for those who can read it, but a tiny font, light gray on white and kinda fuzzy is a better means for imparting a headache than it is for imparting information. Might be a browser function -- I'm still running Microsquish IE 6. Whatever it is, the lofi version isn't too kind to.

--Pete

How big was the aquarium in Noah's ark?

I hope I'm doing this right... this is in reply to Angel, for those of you crazy threaded viewers. :)

I say this isn't easy on the eyes. As Maddox would say, "It's like staring into a lightbulb." White background=not good. It's Newton's 3rd law.
Obi2Kenobi,Sep 29 2004, 05:24 AM Wrote:I hope I'm doing this right... this is in reply to Angel, for those of you crazy threaded viewers. :)

I say this isn't easy on the eyes. As Maddox would say, "It's like staring into a lightbulb." White background=not good. It's Newton's 3rd law.
[right][snapback]56663[/snapback][/right]

Ahh but as a tiny great man once said: "Staring into a light bulb will make you illuminated."
:P
Ask me about Norwegian humour Smile
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTs9SE2sDTw
Pete,Sep 28 2004, 09:01 PM Wrote:Might be a browser function -- I'm still running Microsquish IE 6.  Whatever it is, the lofi version isn't too kind to.
[right][snapback]56658[/snapback][/right]

Pete, I'm confused. I thought you always hated my white-text-on-dark-backgrounds setups as well. What on earth would make you happy? :rolleyes:

-Bolty

Note: tongue is thoroughly in cheek.
Quote:Considering the mods here are generally liberals who seem to have a soft spot for fascism and white supremacy (despite them saying otherwise), me being perma-banned at some point is probably not out of the question.
Bolty,Sep 29 2004, 02:57 PM Wrote:Pete, I'm confused.  I thought you always hated my white-text-on-dark-backgrounds setups as well.  What on earth would make you happy?  :rolleyes:

-Bolty

Note: tongue is thoroughly in cheek.
[right][snapback]56709[/snapback][/right]

Hi,

Actually, after you achieved color satori at Anglestar's knees, the Lounge was quite nice :)

RBD is pretty, too, IMHO.

I think the default on IPD is designed to make the webmiester reskin it as fast as humanly possible -- kind along the lines of color schemes in fast food joins :)

--Pete

How big was the aquarium in Noah's ark?

I'll try to have a new skin up Sunday night. This is proving difficult.

Invision Board 1.1 had maybe 30 different elements to skin, define, and choose colors for.

Invision Board 2.0 has around 200 different elements. And no documentation to say what element goes where. Some are obvious, some are not.

-Bolty
Bolty,Sep 27 2004, 05:57 PM Wrote:Between you and me, the Lo-Fi Version beats any skin job anyhow - for browsing, at least.  :)
I certainly came to appreciate the Lo-Fi option when trying to read the lounge this past week from a hotel room with web TV.
"I may be old, but I'm not dead."