OH NO ducks!
[Image: ducks1.jpg]

(apologies abound if you have seen this before)
:o :lol: :( I never did like those grate thingies :ph34r:

NoMaD
R.I.P. Pete! I can't believe you're gone. Sad
Nomad25055,Sep 30 2004, 11:46 PM Wrote::o  :lol:  :(  I never did like those grate thingies  :ph34r:
[right][snapback]56813[/snapback][/right]

There was a case locally a few years back where some guy went around pulling up some of the grates around the downtown area. He did it as a prank I suppose. Well, a lady pedestrian turned a corner and failed to notice the ungrated hole in the ground and promptly fell to her death.

I believe the "prankster" was charged and convicted of homicide. But that doesn't bring back the POOR POOR DUCKLINGS!
Note to self: Never go near grates without scanning the area first. Back on topic, I wonder what the poor mother was thinking? She has such a sad yet utterly confused look.
It sickens me that somebody took pictures of this happening...

Yay fast replay owns.
:(
For the sake of future ducklings, fix that!
With great power comes the great need to blame other people.
Guild Wars 2: (ArchonWing.9480) 
Battle.net (ArchonWing.1480)
Ducks aparently do have a need for binocular vision. :P
Nomad25055,Sep 30 2004, 11:08 PM Wrote:I wonder what the poor mother was thinking? She has such a sad yet utterly confused look.
[right][snapback]56819[/snapback][/right]
She certainly does and doesn't the remaining duckling have a smug look. "Hah! I made it!"

unrealshadow13,Sep 30 2004, 11:13 PM Wrote:It sickens me that somebody took pictures of this happening...
[right][snapback]56820[/snapback][/right]
For the public's peace of mind, there should have been two more pictures in the series - the guy pulling the grate and then one of him lifting the babies out. Now I'll have to go to bed and have nightmares of peeping echoing out of the grate getting louder and louder with me not being able to do anything. :unsure:

In defense (or further condemnation?) of the photographer, if he was actually as close to the toddlers as the picture appears, it probably wouldn't have happened because they would have been scared off. But then we would probably be seeing a picture of a string of duckling pancakes. :(
Lochnar[ITB]
Freshman Diablo

[Image: jsoho8.png][Image: 10gmtrs.png]

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
"You don't know how strong you can be until strong is the only option."
"Think deeply, speak gently, love much, laugh loudly, give freely, be kind."
"Talk, Laugh, Love."
Quote:She certainly does and doesn't the remaining duckling have a smug look. "Hah! I made it!"

Lol yeah, I can just imagine the grate saying "All your ducklings are belong to me! Erm...DAMMIT." :P

NoMaD
LochnarITB,Oct 1 2004, 04:55 AM Wrote:For the public's peace of mind, there should have been two more pictures in the series - the guy pulling the grate and then one of him lifting the babies out.  Now I'll have to go to bed and have nightmares of peeping echoing out of the grate getting louder and louder with me not being able to do anything.  :unsure:[right][snapback]56828[/snapback][/right]

Is this a personal wish or did this in fact happen? (The guy pulling up the grate, I mean.)

It sucks to be those ducklings. :(
UPDATE: Spamblaster.
As far as I can tell this might be the incident around July 11, 2000, but a similiar case also happened in Milwaukee. The problem is we can have empathy here, but how many natural horror stories do we not see when a large snapping turtle or foxes get a hold of a nest full of fluffy ducklings. Growing up on a farm, I've seen some things done by animals to other animals that would make Charles Manson look like a baptist preacher. I would assume that since this event was documented, some attempt at rescue was attempted.

Quote:Ducklings in danger
Mother duck calls police

It started with a tug on officer Ray Peterson's trousers. While on routine foot patrol in downtown Vancouver, a female duck approached the officer and grabbed his pant leg until he followed her to a sewer grate.

Through the opening, the officer could see her eight small ducklings that had fallen into the water below.

July 13 -- When a family of ducklings fell down a Vancouver sewer grate their mother did what any parent would do. She got help from a passing police officer.

Vancouver police officer Ray Peterson admitted he was not sure what to make of the duck that grabbed him by the pant leg while he was on foot patrol on Wednesday evening in a neighborhood near the city's downtown.

"I though it was a bit goofy, so I shoved it away," Peterson told the Vancouver Sun newspaper.

The mother duck persisted, grabbing Peterson's leg again when he tried to leave, and then waddling to a nearby sewer grate where she sat down and waited for him to follow and investigate.

"I went up to where the duck was lying and saw eight little babies in the water below," he said.

Police said they removed the heavy metal grate with the help of a tow truck and used a vegetable strainer to lift the ducklings to safety.

Mother and offspring then departed for a nearby pond.
”There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

[Image: yVR5oE.png][Image: VKQ0KLG.png]

For some reason, I can't shake the feeling that this whole thing is Photoshopped up the wazoo. The ducks seem to be in an entirely different focus to the background, even the non-fuzzy features such as the feet and beaks.

Looks kinda suspicious to me.
When in mortal danger,
When beset by doubt,
Run in little circles,
Wave your arms and shout.

BattleTag: Schrau#2386
NiteFox,Oct 1 2004, 04:57 PM Wrote:For some reason, I can't shake the feeling that this whole thing is Photoshopped up the wazoo.  The ducks seem to be in an entirely different focus to the background, even the non-fuzzy features such as the feet and beaks.

Looks kinda suspicious to me.
[right][snapback]56881[/snapback][/right]

It's not photoshopped.
Glad they're safe! :D (nt)
It looks suspicious.

1 There are 6 ducklings in the first picture and only 5 in the second picture yet given the spacing the ducklings were keeping its unlikely one fell through that fast.

2 If one had fallen throughthat fast it would have made noise and the mother would have looked. I know that much from growing on a farm.

3 The light on the ducking feet is odd. Though I wont say its definetly wrong.

4 Its seems like I should be able to see the mothers head in the reflextion, although once again I am not sure.

5 Why did the photgrapher move in close/zoom for the last pic?

6 The photographer would have to be an asshole.
LochnarITB,Sep 30 2004, 09:55 PM Wrote:She certainly does and doesn't the remaining duckling have a smug look.  "Hah!  I made it!"

For the public's peace of mind, there should have been two more pictures in the series - the guy pulling the grate and then one of him lifting the babies out.  Now I'll have to go to bed and have nightmares of peeping echoing out of the grate getting louder and louder with me not being able to do anything.  :unsure:

In defense (or further condemnation?) of the photographer, if he was actually as close to the toddlers as the picture appears, it probably wouldn't have happened because they would have been scared off.  But then we would probably be seeing a picture of a string of duckling pancakes.  :(
[right][snapback]56828[/snapback][/right]

Ducks are terrible mothers. Not to mention how flat out stupid they are.

They're not as bad as geese, though.
"AND THEN THE PALADIN TOOK MY EYES!"
Forever oppressed by the GOLs.
Grom Hellscream: [Orcish] kek