Anybody Own a Dual USB iBook 500?
I found a Dual USB iBook G3 500Mhz with 256 megs of ram, 10 gig hard drive, and a speedy CDRW for 499.99. I am sorely tempted.

Unit is practically brand new. It's a great deal and there are a limited number.

Before I order one though, I am asking around. I know some of the iBooks have had problems. The clamshells and the first icebooks were fairly hardy... But I still wanted to know if anybody here had any experiences with them. How are they holding up? Any problems? I know the clamshells are tanks, how sturdy are the icebooks? Everything I have read has been glowing praise from Apple Zealots... Haven't seen much user experience.

So can anybody tell me anything about their experiences if they have one?
All alone, or in twos,
The ones who really love you
Walk up and down outside the wall.
Some hand in hand
And some gathered together in bands.
The bleeding hearts and artists
Make their stand.

And when they've given you their all
Some stagger and fall, after all it's not easy
Banging your heart against some mad buggers wall.

"Isn't this where...."
Gosh darn I am a stingy bastard.

Thinking I could find a better deal...

I did. iBook 700Mhz with the combo drive. CDRW/DVD drive. Only 128 megs of ram on this model, but, a 5400 rpm 20 gig drive. ATI radeon mobility with 16 megs of vram, and it's in perfect condition. Comes with a full year of coverage. 599.00. And free shipping. Heck, the last deal I found was almost this much with insured shipping.

I realize I could buy one a bit cheaper mayhap on ebay, but there is no coverage on ebay. If I get a lemon, I am stuck with it. I am not fond of lemons. I have the option to buy Applecare on this particular model, which is a great service.

I borrowed a Powerbook for a while while recovering. While I am not fond of how text looks on LCD screens, somebody told me to try OSX Panther with it's Quartz engine and anti-aliasing. Several sources have told me this makes text as crisp as a CRT. Anyhow, after trying a Powerbook, I was hooked. Again. Last Powerbook I actually owned was a Duo 280c, fully loaded, with a dock. I have used many of the little buggers. Always liked them. But I am an unabashed power junkie deep in my heart. That said, having something that is not hooked to the wall is somehow appealing to my power loving stodgy nature.

While I could most likely buy the latest and greatest Apple powerbooks, I don't feel the need. I have looked over the benchmark numbers and the power curve, and frankly, I am not impressed. Apple has been slouching lately. Plus, I am a stingy old skinflint. I love a good deal. (Of course, I spent 10,000 dollars on a brand spanking new Mac IIfx the moment it came out. I am a bad man. I hate my self at times.) For the price, the old iBooks rip. And I dare say the old (But highly upgradeable) Pismo is a good deal better then the current load of tripe Apple is offering in it's pro line. It seems the more recent iBooks and PBooks are plagued with serious problems. Quality control seems to have gone out the window, which is bad.

I wonder how a Pismo would be with a 1ghz G3 upgrade...

I don't know why, but lately I have been wanting to get back to some good old fashioned hardware hacking which I have not sat down and done for ages. Might need to buy a project 'book as well.
All alone, or in twos,
Some hand in hand
Make their stand.

"Isn't this where...."
Do you liek use mac all the time, or is there some other reason you want a mac laptop?
I use a Mac all the time. It allows me to get work done.

A long time ago, I used a Duo 280c. It was a sub notebook, only about 4 pounds and truly portable. I uh, just sort of gave up on laptops after that.

After using a Powerbook during my recovery, I found I liked having the portability. I could go out, sit on a stump, compute, and chat with the animals. I could take all my files, progress reports, etc, with me to meetings. It was nice.

The iBook is truly portable. It's a sub notebook, which I have always loved. And craved.
All alone, or in twos,
Some hand in hand
Make their stand.

"Isn't this where...."