I've never gotten a flu shot
DeeBye,Oct 21 2004, 10:38 PM Wrote:Why are people freaking out about flu shots?  I've never received a flu shot, and I'm still alive.  Unless you are young enough to be mewling and puking in the nurse's arms, or old enough to do the same, the flu isn't a big deal.

I get the flu once a year, without fail.  I can handle the flu.  I feel lousy for a few days, and maybe I barf a bit.  Big deal.  So why is everyone suddenly concerned about the availability of flu shots?

(I'd rather have the flu instead of getting a needle)
[right][snapback]57917[/snapback][/right]

The sudden concern is because Kerry (or his advisors) decided to make this the flavor of the day, as far as his attempts to discredit Bush. Every year, we throw away millions of unused flu vaccines and no one gives a rat's behind. This year, this has been one of the things that the Kerry campaign has deemed to be a "failure" of the Bush administration. I predict that the next flavor of the day will be our unpreparedness in case of a gas attack. He'll say that the Bush administration has not provided enough dosages of gas masks or Alka-Selser ... or one of those two. I might be wrong on this though.

-A
Ashock,Oct 29 2004, 01:37 AM Wrote:The sudden concern is because Kerry (or his advisors) decided to make this the flavor of the day.[right][snapback]58575[/snapback][/right]

Disagreed. This became a concern when the media found out a major source of the vaccine could not be supplied, leaving us short this season. Call me crazy, but this was made a big deal before the Kerry or Bush used it for mudslinging.b

Cheers,

Munk
Ashock,Oct 29 2004, 02:37 AM Wrote:I might be wrong on this though.
[right][snapback]58575[/snapback][/right]

You are wrong on one score:

Ashock,Oct 29 2004, 02:37 AM Wrote:Every year, we throw away millions of unused flu vaccines and no one gives a rat's behind. I might be wrong on this though.
-A
[right][snapback]58575[/snapback][/right]

Last year demand exceeded supply. As did the year before. And according to a friend who works for the FDA demand has risen in conjunction with the rise in our younger and aging populations. Though you do have to factor in that only recently have their been concentrated campaigns to get the populace aware that they need such a shot.
For those near Seattle, I heard that some people are taking the Victoria Clipper to BC and get the Flu Shot

But it seems that some places like Ontario won't provide flu shots for Americans.
”There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

[Image: yVR5oE.png][Image: VKQ0KLG.png]

Unfortunately, the flu cruise got shut down. Details...

Quote:Seattle-based ferry service ends its scenic flu-shot cruises to Canada
at 10:02 on October 29, 2004, EST.

SEATTLE (AP) - A ferry service that has been offering scenic cruises to Canada plus a flu shot ended the package deal Thursday.

The Canadian clinic that had been providing the vaccine can no longer guarantee a supply, said Darrell Bryan, executive vice-president of Clipper Navigation.

"Clipper understands and respects that Canada's first priority for allocation of the flu vaccine is to its own citizens," Bryan said. "Although we are pleased to have been able to help many American senior citizens and other high-risk people, without a guaranteed supply of vaccine available ... it would be irresponsible for us to continue to sell the flu shots."

The ferry service began offering the "flu cruises" Oct. 21 as a response to the shortage of flu vaccine in the United States.

For $105 US, a discount off the normal round-trip fare of $115, hundreds of people took the 2½-hour ride from Seattle to Victoria, and got a flu shot at the terminal on the Canadian side.
But whate'er I be,
Nor I, nor any man that is,
With nothing shall be pleased till he be eased
With being nothing.
William Shakespeare - Richard II
Chaerophon,Oct 29 2004, 10:43 AM Wrote:Unfortunately, the flu cruise got shut down.  Details...
[right][snapback]58612[/snapback][/right]

This is just my opinion but I think the people in America are going flu-vaccine crazy! I only personally know ("know" as in not customers or friends of friends, but actual friends, family, or coworkers) three people who HAVE gotten the flu-vaccine this year. One is an elderly woman I work with who works her arse off for fear of getting sick and missing work, and the other two are cancer survivors whose bodies are in bad shape (one of the survivors is missing her spleen, a kidney, and has other complications). Yes, these people need the shot because a severe flu would most likely kill them or at least greatly incapacitate them for weeks or even months, but the middle-aged, strong and healthy? I don't think they need it. It seems to me that it’s this media craze that’s fueling everyone’s desire to get the flu-shot!

My question is can't the virus just easily and quickly mutate to a point where the vaccine is useless? I mean, I got vaccinated one year and got very sick so it's hardly foolproof.
"The true value of a human being is determined primarily by the measure and the sense in which he has attained liberation from the self." -Albert Einsetin
MEAT,Oct 30 2004, 03:36 AM Wrote:My question is can't the virus just easily and quickly mutate to a point where the vaccine is useless?  I mean, I got vaccinated one year and got very sick so it's hardly foolproof.
[right][snapback]58658[/snapback][/right]

The virus can change from year to year. Not to mention the fact that the flu vaccine for each year is based on an educated guess by those "in the know" of which flu strain they should be innoculating the population for. Many times they are right, sometimes they are wrong.
The Bill of No Rights
The United States has become a place where entertainers and professional athletes are mistaken for people of importance. Robert A. Heinlein