College
Minionman,Nov 1 2004, 09:52 PM Wrote:University of Illinois Champaign for chemical engineering.  It's my first one and I got in in quickly since I heard the programs fill up fast.  I really hate filling out forms, it gets me really nervous for some reason.  Later I get to do Rensselear Polytechnic and Harvey Mudd.
As for big schools vs. small schools, that i'm not really worried either way.  I go to a small school for high school, and all the colleges are bigger by a lot that I'm applying to, so it looks pretty similar to me.  I'd rather go to a bigger place because of more stuff going on, but even the smaller places seem to have things happening that I looked at.
[right][snapback]58896[/snapback][/right]

From what I can tell the small schools still have quite a lot going on. That might just be the few I have checked into, but most colleges do a good job of organizing student events etc. Good luck getting into UIC! :)
WWBBD?
Minionman,Nov 2 2004, 02:52 AM Wrote:University of Illinois in Champaign-Urbana for chemical engineering.  It's my first one and I got in in quickly since I heard the programs fill up fast.  I really hate filling out forms, it gets me really nervous for some reason.  [right][snapback]58896[/snapback][/right]

Cool, I talked to a prof from the chem.dept from Champaign-Urbana once. I think it is a very good university also research-wise. Are you sure you don't want to try to do just chemistry??? So much more interesting :) On the other hand...if you want to have a job, you can better do chemical engineering.
eppie,Nov 2 2004, 01:53 AM Wrote:Cool, I talked to a prof from the chem.dept from Champaign-Urbana once. I think it is a very good university also research-wise. Are you sure you don't want to try to do just chemistry??? So much more interesting :)  On the other hand...if you want to have a job, you can better do chemical engineering.
[right][snapback]58935[/snapback][/right]

While checking out other colleges I couldn't decide very well between those, but after a litle I picked chemical engineering as what I would apply to. I personally think it sounds more interesting but that's just me I guess.

Mainly I'm worried right now about having goofed up the application somehow.
I may be dead, but I'm not old (source: see lavcat)

The gloves come off, I'm playing hardball. It's fourth and 15 and you're looking at a full-court press. (Frank Drebin in The Naked Gun)

Some people in forums do the next best thing to listening to themselves talk, writing and reading what they write (source, my brother)
Lansing Community College is so cool, because nobody automatically hates you for going here. My entire extended family was polarized when my older brother went to State and my cousin went to U of M.
Creator of "The Corrupted Wish Game": Rules revised 06/15/05
"It was a quiet day...the kind of quiet that happens just before the entire Sioux nation comes up over the ridge."
[Image: cobalt-60.jpg] Click here for a free iPod!
Lady Vashj,Nov 3 2004, 09:30 AM Wrote:Lansing Community College is so cool, because nobody automatically hates you for going here.  My entire extended family was polarized when my older brother went to State and my cousin went to U of M.
[right][snapback]59040[/snapback][/right]

Ouch, what are you taking at LCC?
WWBBD?
Yrrek,Nov 1 2004, 09:36 PM Wrote:From what I can tell the small schools still have quite a lot going on. That might just be the few I have checked into, but most colleges do a good job of organizing student events etc. Good luck getting into UIC! :)
[right][snapback]58915[/snapback][/right]

Congrats. College is like a sewer: what you get out of it depends entirely on what you put into it! ;)

Best of luck, the first semester may seem like a firehose, but once you are nice and wet, you'll adapt and will doubtless do just fine.

I envy you your embarkation on your new adventure.

May you make your saving throw against bad beer and bad decisions on when to party and when to study. There is a balance, as there is in most worthwhile parts of life, to include how much gaming . . . really, even that.

*wonders why everyone here is looking at me like I have a third hand growing out of my forehead . . . *

Occhi
Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Men 'O War!
In War, the outcome is never final. --Carl von Clausewitz--
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
John 11:35 - consider why.
In Memory of Pete
Occhidiangela,Nov 3 2004, 11:16 PM Wrote:Congrats.  College is like a sewer:  what you get out of it depends entirely on what you put into it!  ;)

Best of luck, the first semester may seem like a firehose, but once you are nice and wet, you'll adapt and will doubtless do just fine.

I envy you your embarkation on your new adventure.

May you make your saving throw against bad beer and bad decisions on when to party and when to study.  There is a balance, as there is in most worthwhile parts of life, to include how much gaming . . . really, even that.

*wonders why everyone here is looking at me like I have a third hand growing out of my forehead . . . *

Occhi
[right][snapback]59156[/snapback][/right]

Hahaha, everyone tells me not to party too much! I don't really "party." If I do anything it's with a small group of friends. I don't drink either..... :o
WWBBD?
Yrrek,Nov 3 2004, 11:15 PM Wrote:Hahaha, everyone tells me not to party too much! I don't really "party." If I do anything it's with a small group of friends. I don't drink either..... :o
[right][snapback]59166[/snapback][/right]

You don't drink . . . yet? :D No need to start, if ever, until you are ready to. No need to start at all, if that is where you gut feel takes you.

Anyway, if you wait until after college to start drinking, you may be better off than some of us who killed a few too many brain cells too close to mid terms . . . at least the testing room was quiet . . .

Occhi
Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Men 'O War!
In War, the outcome is never final. --Carl von Clausewitz--
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
John 11:35 - consider why.
In Memory of Pete
Occhidiangela,Nov 4 2004, 12:28 AM Wrote:You don't drink . . . yet?  :D  No need to start, if ever, until you are ready to.  No need to start at all, if that is where you gut feel takes you.

Anyway, if you wait until after college to start drinking, you may be better off than some of us who killed a few too many brain cells too close to mid terms . . . at least the testing room was quiet . . .

Occhi
[right][snapback]59167[/snapback][/right]

Hahaha! No, I don't plan on drinking...ever. :)
WWBBD?
To bring this thread up since it might apply for other people as well, I'm admitted to UIUC and am now finishing the applications for Rensselaer polytechnic and harvey Mudd. Rensselaer an Illinois are the two main ones I'm interested in.

The gloves come off, I'm playing hardball. It's fourth and 15 and you're looking at a full-court press. (Frank Drebin in The Naked Gun)

Some people in forums do the next best thing to listening to themselves talk, writing and reading what they write (source, my brother)
Minionman,Dec 9 2004, 10:07 PM Wrote:To bring this thread up since it might apply for other people as well, I'm admitted to UIUC and am now finishing the applications for Rensselaer polytechnic and harvey Mudd.  Rensselaer an Illinois are the two main ones I'm interested in.
[right][snapback]62438[/snapback][/right]

Congrats and good luck on those other two! :)
WWBBD?
Yrrek,Dec 9 2004, 09:21 PM Wrote:Congrats and good luck on those other two! :)
[right][snapback]62439[/snapback][/right]

I'm looking forward to college, school is getting really boring right now.

Minionman,Dec 9 2004, 10:35 PM Wrote:I'm looking forward to college, school is getting really boring right now.
[right][snapback]62441[/snapback][/right]

I'm plenty busy, I still have 35% of my grade out in three assignments due within in the next three days, and that is just one class! =)
WWBBD?
Yrrek,Oct 28 2004, 05:59 PM Wrote:Hello All,

I was excited, and thought I should let me second family know: I got accepted into college! So next year I will be attending Champlain College in Burlington, Vermont! Ahh, I feel great!  :)  :D
[right][snapback]58533[/snapback][/right]

Slightly interesting fact. My grandmother lives near Burlington, Vermont. Just felt the need to let everyone know. By the way, the winters out there have *lots* of snow. Lots. Congrats on being accepted. :P
I have my own signature. Yay.
Yrrek,Dec 9 2004, 10:46 PM Wrote:I'm plenty busy, I still have 35% of my grade out in three assignments due within in the next three days, and that is just one class! =)

That's one thing that you'll have to get used to. I had a great time in my freshman writing class where 70% of the grade was from the final paper. My wife had the standard "100% of grade comes from performance on final exam" all through law school.
ah bah-bah-bah-bah-bah-bah-bob
dyah ah dah-dah-dah-dah-dah-dah-dah-dth
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
[quote=Jeunemaitre,Dec 10 2004, 12:15 PM]
That's one thing that you'll have to get used to. I had a great time in my freshman writing class where 70% of the grade was from the final paper. My wife had the standard "100% of grade comes from performance on final exam" all through law school.
[right][snapback]62501[/snapback][/right]
[/qu]

Hooray! I can't wait! *rolls eyes*
WWBBD?