Let's get together on a Test server
Here is my situation. Due to a somewhat stormy sommer in my private life, I have not played much WoW at all since about May (although I did play a bit up until august). So both me, and my characters are a bit old so to speak (forgot to pick tradeskills for example, so I guess they were randomly picked for them. Should I start a new character or still try to old ones? Had a level 30 warrior that could be used to see something else than the starting areas (again). Also, seems pretty much have changed in the game, any major important things to keep in mind?
There are three types of people in the world. Those who can count and those who can't.
Howdy,

I was going to wait for the open beta to try out WoW (trying to decide between WoW and GuildWars looks tough). However, when FilePlanet's registration server got overloaded from people paying to get into the stress test I wondered if there were really going to be any spaces left for the open beta. I've grudginly forked over the dough and am downloading now.

Having to pay to play in beta is a poor move IMO. I know, I know. This is the stress test and the open beta will be free but, with people paying to jump the line and take the limited number of open beta slots ... is there really a difference? Should be joining in by tonight so I'll post a character name when I get it.

Edit: My first character of Test 1 is called Tharan. Race: Dwarf, Class: Paladin

-Mentat
MentatAssassin,Nov 4 2004, 11:42 AM Wrote:Howdy,

I was going to wait for the open beta to try out WoW (trying to decide between WoW and GuildWars looks tough). However, when FilePlanet's registration server got overloaded from people paying to get into the stress test I wondered if there were really going to be any spaces left for the open beta.  I've grudginly forked over the dough and am downloading now.

Having to pay to play in beta is a poor move IMO.  I know, I know.  This is the stress test and the open beta will be free but, with people paying to jump the line and take the limited number of open beta slots ...  is there really a difference?  Should be joining in by tonight so I'll post a character name when I get it.

-Mentat
[right][snapback]59189[/snapback][/right]

Fileplanet charges people for it's service. Beats blizzard's bittorent client (which has the tendency to go max upload and choke your download, took me 3 days to download).
Former www.diablo2.com webmaster.

When in deadly danger,
When beset by doubt,
Run in little circles,
Wave your arms and shout.
Crusader,Nov 4 2004, 07:33 AM Wrote:Fileplanet charges people for it's service. Beats blizzard's bittorent client (which has the tendency to go max upload and choke your download, took me 3 days to download).
[right][snapback]59193[/snapback][/right]

Complain to your service provider about your upload and download bandwidth coming from the same pipe size. They can put seperate limiters on them. My 256K up doesn't touch my 768k down. Of course when the up is saturated you control information that needs to go out can get slowed down, but not that significantly. The issue seems to be where you have a "single" up/down pipe for most people. People with seperate limits don't have an issue, yeah I still only have the one pipe, but the way it is limited makes it effectively two.
---
It's all just zeroes and ones and duct tape in the end.
Gnollguy,Nov 4 2004, 06:39 AM Wrote:Complain to your service provider about your upload and download bandwidth coming from the same pipe size.  They can put seperate limiters on them.  My 256K up doesn't touch my 768k down.  Of course when the up is saturated you control information that needs to go out can get slowed down, but not that significantly.  The issue seems to be where you have a "single" up/down pipe for most people.  People with seperate limits don't have an issue, yeah I still only have the one pipe, but the way it is limited makes it effectively two.
[right][snapback]59194[/snapback][/right]

I think this is an oversimplification. My service provider has two separate limits, about 30K up and 3.0 M down. When using blizz's torrent client, it is painfully slow to do anything, even though the combined pipe is probably only 60 K/s, and it really does test out at just under 3.0 M down.

Even though the data sizes for requests send up (for things like surfing) are small, the latency is bad when your upload pipe is totally saturated. Other torrents didn't do this to me. Plus the last time I downloaded this it was much much faster. I got it in about 8 hours--this time it took me nearly 24.