Where in the world is...
I saw this in another forum I frequent, and I though this would be a neat little thing to do here in the LL.

http://www.world66.com/myworld66

Where have you been? Here's my map:

[Image: worldmap.gif]

I have to get myself to Australia and New Zeland soon, I've wanted to go there for years (although I've not had the chance).
Walkiry,Nov 10 2004, 02:22 AM Wrote:I saw this in another forum I frequent, and I though this would be a neat little thing to do here in the LL.

http://www.world66.com/myworld66

Where have you been? Here's my map:

[Image: worldmap.gif]

I have to get myself to Australia and New Zeland soon, I've wanted to go there for years (although I've not had the chance).
[right][snapback]59855[/snapback][/right]

I found that the generated map is not really of much use, as it really does not differentiate countries too well, only continents. However, we can just list the countries we've been to.

-A
Ashock,Nov 10 2004, 02:49 PM Wrote:I found that the generated map is not really of much use, as it really does not differentiate countries too well, only continents. -A
[right][snapback]59882[/snapback][/right]

Not just that....

Call me parochial, but my exploration desires are focussed on my own country at the moment. There is so damn much of it that I have yet to see.

I want enter the NorthWest Passage ! Maybe even traverse it. :P I want to see Tuktoyaktuk before it gets drowned by the sea. :ph34r: I want to see the mountains of Labrador, with their knife edges. :o I want to white water canoe on the Nahanni River. The Badlands of Alberta. The immensity of Great Bear Lake. The list is long .... too long.

Until I get to do some of those things, I will rest content with watching Michael Palin's travelogues for the rest of the world. B)
And you may call it righteousness
When civility survives,
But I've had dinner with the Devil and
I know nice from right.

From Dinner with the Devil, by Big Rude Jake

The onlt place I have been in Canada is the boundary waters right on the minnesota border. However, I would like to go see the Athabasca Tar Sands. I don't get out of the country much, and I have only been to a total of 16 states with Colorado being my favorite where I went hiking in the mountains. However, I could give hours upon hours of tours of my hometown Chicago :P. I love that city.
The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation - Henry David Thoreau

Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger, and at the rate I'm going, I'm going to be invincible.

Chicago wargaming club
Ashock,Nov 10 2004, 08:49 PM Wrote:I found that the generated map is not really of much use, as it really does not differentiate countries too well, only continents. However, we can just list the countries we've been to.
-A
[right][snapback]59882[/snapback][/right]

Well, I wasn't really aiming for "usefulness" as much as "this is a neat little thing, I wonder what other lurkers would show here". Guess it wasn't as neat as I though *shrug*
Walkiry,Nov 10 2004, 01:57 PM Wrote:Well, I wasn't really aiming for "usefulness" as much as "this is a neat little thing, I wonder what other lurkers would show here". Guess it wasn't as neat as I though *shrug*
[right][snapback]59897[/snapback][/right]

Bleh, c'mon this was not meant as criticism of the topic, just the map :-)

-A
Ashock,Nov 10 2004, 02:49 PM Wrote:I found that the generated map is not really of much use, as it really does not differentiate countries too well, only continents. However, we can just list the countries we've been to.
-A

The thing that I have trouble with is that generalization that goes into the map:
I went to San Francisco once, but I wouldn't say I've really seen California. Likewise, I went to Dallas once, but I didn't see much else of Texas.

I think it's more accurate to put a pin in a map in each city you've visited, as that's a better representation of what you've seen, and what you haven't.
ah bah-bah-bah-bah-bah-bah-bob
dyah ah dah-dah-dah-dah-dah-dah-dah-dth
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Only been in the U.S. and some driving through Canada from Niagra falls to Detroit. In the U.S. I've mainly been in the Chicago area, some other places in the great lakes/Ohio river area, Boston, Atlanta once, some parts of California a few times, and the part of New York state around I-90. I'd really like to see some more areas in the western part, since I saw some cool stuff going through on a train once. Hopefully when it's cool depending if I go southwest.

Not really anywhere in the rest of the world I'm interested in going.
I may be dead, but I'm not old (source: see lavcat)

The gloves come off, I'm playing hardball. It's fourth and 15 and you're looking at a full-court press. (Frank Drebin in The Naked Gun)

Some people in forums do the next best thing to listening to themselves talk, writing and reading what they write (source, my brother)
Short list.
I've been to New Zealand.
I suppose that counts as about half a state? :P