@Bolty and all, guild concerns
Apologies if any of this has been covered elsewhere.

We now have an official release date for WoW which is about 2.5 weeks away right now.

I'm getting excited and can't wait to see a bunch of lurkers in a game again. :)

All that being said, I've still got a few questions and I'm guessing others have these same questions as well. Here goes:

1) Are we going to be changing / renaming the current WoW forum as release approaches?

2) Are we on the path to "electing" a leader? Are we even going to have a leader? I guess, what form is this guild going to take on?

3) Server selection. We can't really decide till the names are released.

4) PvP server or PvE or both? Alliance or Horde or both?

Hmm. That seems to cover it. I remember Bolty saying he was not going to be involved in the administrative process of the guild; so, I am just wondering if anyone is working on the administrative side at this time.

Also, I played DAOC as a member of the Amazon Basin, and I would love to be on the same server as those guys (and gals :)). But, being just a lowly lurker, I would feel totally out of place trying to set that up. I know there is some crossover between these two sites, but I'm sure having our two communities on the same server would be beneficial to all.

Again, sorry if this stuff has been covered. I can only plead that I CANNOT wait for WoW to be released.

Smithy - hopefully to be known as Smithy Alliancebreaker :ph34r:

I would avoid the "leader" "officer" concept. You would need a a few responsible, unexcitable people to boot out trouble makers, but it should be low key.

Guilds of friends are more fun to play in than hierarchy guilds unless you are looking for a guild as a way to validate yourself. IMO
More important may be deciding who you want to let in.

I say this with a somewhat removed perspective as I will likely being playing with people from my old DAoC server. but i can see how a guild hierarchy could warp the lounge.
Ghostiger,Nov 5 2004, 07:52 PM Wrote:I would avoid the "leader" "officer" concept. You would need a  a few responsible, unexcitable people to boot out trouble makers, but it should be low key.

Guilds of friends are more fun to play in than hierarchy guilds unless you are looking for a guild as a way to validate yourself. IMO
More important may be deciding who you want to let in.
I say this with a somewhat removed perspective as I will likely being playing with people from my old DAoC server. but i can see how a guild hierarchy could warp the lounge.
[right][snapback]59417[/snapback][/right]

Heh. If I wanted the LL guild to validate me, I'm probably not the kind of person that would be here in the first place.

I was asking because I specifically want to avoid the politics that seem to haunt most guilds. I could always go play with the Amazon Basin, but I was actually looking forward to a more informal approach.

All I'm trying to do is figure out the status of the LL guild for WoW and what form it might take because as of right now all I know is that we are probably going to have a guild in some form and Bolty doesn't want to run it.

Smithy

EDIT: Grammar
Oh I didnt mean to rip at you. I was just addressing the point you mentioned.

Side note: Did you play on Perc? Who were you?
Ghostiger,Nov 5 2004, 09:08 PM Wrote:Oh I didnt mean to rip at you. I was just addressing the point you mentioned.
Side note: Did you play on Perc? Who were you?
[right][snapback]59421[/snapback][/right]

No offense taken.

Hmm.... DAOC is far in the past for me. I just never got into the RvR combat. Too much running through contested zones for me.

I played on Midguard / whichever server the AB was on.

As far as who I was, you are better off asking NVTS or Erikkson over at the AB. I'd throw some other names at you but I honestly can't remember. I got into DAOC as my D2 addiction was dying down a few years ago. I really need to go get my brain examined, I am forgetting so many great people.

Can anyone help me out? Mephista, you there? Who had the damm duriel mule we used? Anyway, I played on whatever server Erikkson played on and he should not be too hard to track down.

I feel like I can't remember a couple years of my life. :)

Leveled a warrior up, tried out a skald (or whatever the bardic class was) and then got really bored.... among other things.

I think the last time I played was probably Summer of '02.

Smithy
smithy,Nov 5 2004, 07:31 PM Wrote:All that being said, I've still got a few questions and I'm guessing others have these same questions as well.  Here goes:

1)  Are we going to be changing / renaming the current WoW forum as release approaches?
[right][snapback]59414[/snapback][/right]

I can't answer about the guild stuff (especially since right now it looks like I won't be playing WoW at all), but about the forum: the forum for WoW will only exist if there is a site admin for WoW. Someone who is willing to run the front-end content of the site, and not just for giving it lip service - I'm talking about someone who will RUN the Lurker Lounge for WoW. Daily or semi-daily news updates, strategy guide hosting, the works.

Because of the rushed timetable, I won't have the front-end site ready for a direct administration upon WoW's release, but that wouldn't slow down anyone who is technically oriented and knows HTML basics from starting things off before I have the content management system going.

Anyway, I should put up something more official to see if there is interest. I just don't want anything half-you-know-what'ed here. If the LL goes with WoW, it should go all the way, giving the game the same treatment that Diablo and Diablo 2 got.

A few weeks ago I was recognized by a WoW player in game, and he had said "wow, you know - the LL was THE diablo site." With dedicated people, it could be THE WoW site too.

-Bolty
Quote:Considering the mods here are generally liberals who seem to have a soft spot for fascism and white supremacy (despite them saying otherwise), me being perma-banned at some point is probably not out of the question.
smithy,Nov 5 2004, 08:31 PM Wrote:2)  Are we on the path to "electing" a leader?  Are we even going to have a leader?  I guess, what form is this guild going to take on?

[right][snapback]59414[/snapback][/right]

I'd prefer to keep the hierachy that we have now on the Beta Alliance server - none. :P I'd be happy to organize a Lurker's presence on a Alliance PvE in retail.
The European release will be later than the US one, which I find annoying but understandable. However, more disturbingly, I heard talk that players will be stuck to certain servers, meaning I might only be able to play on the European servers while you play on US servers. There was talk on the beta forums about this, but I don't know the outcome. Has one of you guys heard anyhting about this?
Former www.diablo2.com webmaster.

When in deadly danger,
When beset by doubt,
Run in little circles,
Wave your arms and shout.
Agreed. We are all mature players trying to have a good time. We don't need silly ranks and such. I myself am edging very much toward Alliance PvP server playing, but I will also keep chars on the servers where Tal, Treesh and GG are playing.

When in deadly danger,
When beset by doubt,
Run in little circles,
Tal,Nov 6 2004, 10:09 AM Wrote:I'd prefer to keep the hierachy that we have now on the Beta Alliance server - none.  :P  I'd be happy to organize a Lurker's presence on a Alliance PvE in retail.
[right][snapback]59449[/snapback][/right]

Yes, our present guild structure has worked well. One question, if Bolty's not in, who gets to choose the tabard?
"I may be old, but I'm not dead."
LavCat,Nov 6 2004, 11:54 PM Wrote:Yes, our present guild structure has worked well.  One question, if Bolty's not in, who gets to choose the tabard?
[right][snapback]59487[/snapback][/right]

Just get a few lurkers together and make somthing they can all agree on. Doesn't have to be one person to decide.

When in deadly danger,
When beset by doubt,
Run in little circles,
LavCat,Nov 6 2004, 07:54 PM Wrote:One question, if Bolty's not in, who gets to choose the tabard?

We can always post the color choices and designs here and have a vote. :)
Tal,Nov 6 2004, 07:20 PM Wrote:We can always post the color choices and designs  here and have a vote. :)
[right][snapback]59502[/snapback][/right]

For the love of god, please no onion on a stick for the icon... :blink:
Sith Warriors - They only class that gets a new room added to their ship after leaving Hoth, they get a Brooncloset

Einstein said Everything is Relative.
Heisenberg said Everything is Uncertain.
Therefore, everything is relatively uncertain.
Lissa,Nov 6 2004, 10:42 PM Wrote:For the love of god, please no onion on a stick for the icon...  :blink:
[right][snapback]59505[/snapback][/right]

HOT PINK TABARD PLZ!
Tal,Nov 6 2004, 10:09 AM Wrote:I'd prefer to keep the hierachy that we have now on the Beta Alliance server - none.  :P  I'd be happy to organize a Lurker's presence on a Alliance PvE in retail.
[right][snapback]59449[/snapback][/right]

I'll head up something on a Horde PvP server if someone else more responsible doesn't show up to take the job :)
ArrayPaladins were not meant to sit in the back of the raid staring at health bars all day, spamming heals and listening to eight different classes whine about buffs.[/quote]
The original Heavy Metal Cow™. USDA inspected, FDA approved.
LavCat,Nov 6 2004, 07:54 PM Wrote:Yes, our present guild structure has worked well.  One question, if Bolty's not in, who gets to choose the tabard?

I rather liked the tabard I designed for the Guild Wars extension of our little (not-so-little?) community. Dark blue background with a white chevron and a dark red demon'shead that looked all the world like Diablo's head (and was probably a jab at Blizzard.) Unfortunately, I haven't been able to take a look at the tabard designer thingie since the first Stress Test, so my memory of what's available is pretty fuzzy.

We could always go with DeeBye's suggestion and get a hot pink anything, though :)
ArrayPaladins were not meant to sit in the back of the raid staring at health bars all day, spamming heals and listening to eight different classes whine about buffs.[/quote]
The original Heavy Metal Cow™. USDA inspected, FDA approved.
Oh, just wanted to chime in here and mention that it WOULD be a very good idea to coordinate the server choices with the Basin crowd. I think it boils down to:

What PvE server
What PvP horde server
What PvP alliance server

Having LL-Basin raid groups in the high end game would probably be a real blast.

-Bolty
Quote:Considering the mods here are generally liberals who seem to have a soft spot for fascism and white supremacy (despite them saying otherwise), me being perma-banned at some point is probably not out of the question.
Is the Basin doing AvH? When I talked to one of them a few weeks ago they were considering PvE only.
Ghostiger,Nov 8 2004, 10:23 PM Wrote:Is the Basin doing AvH? When I talked to one of them a few weeks ago they were considering PvE only.
[right][snapback]59693[/snapback][/right]
That's a shame. I've found on my time with the PvP server that it's much more engaging to play there than the PvE server, even with the ganking. If Blizzard ever puts in an anti-griefing system, it would make it all the better. The game is never dull when you have to watch your back while questing. The vigilent will often lay the smack down on the attacker. Boy that's fun.

For those who might knee-jerk knock it, please don't until you try it. If you recall, I initially really raked PvP over the coals, until I tried it out.

It's somewhat like Hardcore mode in D2 - the average "go out and kill x" quest suddenly becomes a lot more interesting in a contested zone. And the comraderie found in your faction on the PvP server is much higher than on PvE.

-Bolty
Bolty,Nov 8 2004, 10:56 PM Wrote:That's a shame.  I've found on my time with the PvP server that it's much more engaging to play there than the PvE server, even with the ganking.  If Blizzard ever puts in an anti-griefing system, it would make it all the better.  The game is never dull when you have to watch your back while questing.  The vigilent will often lay the smack down on the attacker.  Boy that's fun.

For those who might knee-jerk knock it, please don't until you try it.  If you recall, I initially really raked PvP over the coals, until I tried it out.

It's somewhat like Hardcore mode in D2 - the average "go out and kill x" quest suddenly becomes a lot more interesting in a contested zone.  And the comraderie found in your faction on the PvP server is much higher than on PvE.

-Bolty
[right][snapback]59697[/snapback][/right]

I just asked on their forums.

The answer I got was

PvP Horde and Alliance PvE.

http://www.theamazonbasin.com/wow/forums/i...=60&#entry20785

Smithy

EDIT: Sorry, that thread is getting large. The post I am referring to is at the top of page 4.