Can I have the idiot of the month award?
OMG!!!!

About 30 seconds ago, I tripped over my dog and spilled gatorade all over my laptop. Half the keys on my keyboard no longer work. :(

Guess I have to go buy a wireless keyboard and mouse tomorrow.

Anyone else have any stories about breaking their computers in "interesting" ways to cheer me up?

Smithy
Well, when I was... in elementary, sometime, we had a computer with a second floppy drive, the big one, 5 1/4 or something. Anyways, I wanted to play a game on a CD. I looked at the front of the case, and saw only one hole that would fit the CD. So I put it in. And closed the little flapper flopper thing. I then went running to my dad when I discovered it didn't work.

My dad was eventually able to get it out. Using his keys.

The computer was okay, but that CD never worked again. It's a shame, I remember it being really fun. It was like Bob the Builder or something, except I don't think Bob the Builder was out by then...

I guess it doesn't really compare to gatorading your keyboard on a laptop, but... :huh:

:)
Don't have a computer story, but once I cut my thumb really bad. I was cutting something when the knife slipped and sliced deep down into the side of my thumb just below and to the side of the nail. It went down maybe a quarter or eighth of an inch, but for sure it was below the skin. It didn't hurt, but probably was serious since I got really giddy when it happened, and the cut bled for awhile.

I got this cut by cutting the plastic ring of an orange juice bottle. I had already opened the cap, and was cutting the plastic ring of because that's something I do. Normally I use a short steak knife anbout thumb length, but this time I couldn't find it so I used a longer knife, about as long as the serrated ones used to cut bread. Naturally it splipped.
I may be dead, but I'm not old (source: see lavcat)

The gloves come off, I'm playing hardball. It's fourth and 15 and you're looking at a full-court press. (Frank Drebin in The Naked Gun)

Some people in forums do the next best thing to listening to themselves talk, writing and reading what they write (source, my brother)
Not sure how your laptop's keyboard is put together, but on some it's fairly easy to pop the keys off and clean things out. Have you tried?
See you in Town,
-Z
Ok, this one is rather bad.

When I was first learning how to assemble computers I had a slight problem with my sound card. I had just re-assembled my first computer (just to put it into a new case) and for some reason my speakers wouldn't work. So I re-opened my case and started messing with my card. Because of my inexperience I really didn't know what to do exactly...so I kinda took one of the small 4-input female connectors from the power supply (the ones that hook into 3.5 floppy drives) and sorta thought that I should connect it *to* the sound card via a few prongs on the outer edge. Needless to say, a few moments later my computer completly shut down, and attempts to restart it ended up with absolutly nothing. Seems like the connection had sent a surge through my harddrive and burnt out the control board.

Yeah...from then on I made it a point to not do anything that was risky and/or that I didn't know about while in my computer.
"You can build a perfect machine out of imperfect parts."
-Urza

He's an old-fashioned Amish cyborg with no name. She's a virginal nymphomaniac fairy princess married to the Mob. Together, they fight crime!

The Blizzcon Class Discussion:
Crowd: "Our qq's will blot out the sun"
Warlocks: "Then we will pewpew in the shade"
smithy,Nov 8 2004, 10:09 PM Wrote:OMG!!!!

About 30 seconds ago, I tripped over my dog and spilled gatorade all over my laptop.  Half the keys on my keyboard no longer work.  :(

Anyone else have any stories about breaking their computers in "interesting" ways to cheer me up?

Smithy
[right][snapback]59692[/snapback][/right]
I've come close, but never total Pepsi syndrome yet. My biggest idiot award goes to a co-worker of mine who was shipping me a brand new $5000 Dell server, fully configured from California. He shipped this 100 lb server in just a cardboard box with no packing materials, UPS ground. It got here bent, mangled, and in pieces. Thankfully it was insured, but gawd what an idiot.
”There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

[Image: yVR5oE.png][Image: VKQ0KLG.png]

Zarathustra,Nov 8 2004, 10:43 PM Wrote:Not sure how your laptop's keyboard is put together, but on some it's fairly easy to pop the keys off and clean things out.  Have you tried?
[right][snapback]59696[/snapback][/right]

Yep. To no avail.

I think the liquid messed up the electronics on the keyboard, but only for some of the keys.

Some work, some don't work at all, and others seem to send the computer weird data. My "L" key sends a period to Ultra-edit and my "D" sends timestamps to the end of what line I am on. I have an old keyboard hooked up so I can still get by.

The rest of the computer seems to work fine and performance is the same it was pre-spill.

Smithy
I don't even want to think about how much something that large costed him to ship :blink:
ArrayPaladins were not meant to sit in the back of the raid staring at health bars all day, spamming heals and listening to eight different classes whine about buffs.[/quote]
The original Heavy Metal Cow™. USDA inspected, FDA approved.
smithy,Nov 8 2004, 08:09 PM Wrote:OMG!!!!

About 30 seconds ago, I tripped over my dog and spilled gatorade all over my laptop.  Half the keys on my keyboard no longer work.  :(

Smithy
[right][snapback]59692[/snapback][/right]

Icky. My grandpa used to have a fridge in his garage stocked solid with gatorade.

I can't drink the stuff. Tastes like... I dunno, seawater with berries?

Back on topic:
Once, I tossed an N64 controller through a rather large picture window.
"AND THEN THE PALADIN TOOK MY EYES!"
Forever oppressed by the GOLs.
Grom Hellscream: [Orcish] kek
This is not a computer story.

My brother is two years older than me, and when we were children he used to urge me on to do dangerous things. He wanted to "test" the danger factor of the proposed feat by sending his little brother in first. If I succeeded without serious injury, he'd try it.

Some neighbourhood kids were jumping ditches with their bikes. They would pedal really fast and use a small incline to jump the ditch. My brother watched them, and thought we should try it. As usual, he sent me first. I was maybe 6 years old at the time.

I was clad only in a bathing suit, and so was my brother. This is important to the story.

I pedalled really fast and jumped the ditch with no problems. My brother pedalled really fast and crashed.

He landed back-first in the ditch, and his bike landed on top of him. His bike's back wheel was spinning incredibly fast when it landed on him, and he was only wearing a bathing suit for crotchal protection. The spokes of his bike's back wheel got caught up in the front part of his bathing suit. It did some damage to the flesh under the front part of his bathing suit.

Long story short, I got to ride in an ambulance and my brother got a lot of stitches.

This has nothing to do with the orginal topic.
Rinnhart,Nov 8 2004, 09:22 PM Wrote:Icky. My grandpa used to have a fridge in his garage stocked solid with gatorade.

I can't drink the stuff. Tastes like... I dunno, seawater with berries?
[right][snapback]59705[/snapback][/right]
But it's specially formulated! By actual sports performance scientists!

Never mind that it's nothing more that just Kool-Aid with a pinch of salt.
Political Correctness is the idea that you can foster tolerance in a diverse world through the intolerance of anything that strays from a clinical standard.
DeeBye wins. QED (NT)
"AND THEN THE PALADIN TOOK MY EYES!"
Forever oppressed by the GOLs.
Grom Hellscream: [Orcish] kek
Rhydderch Hael,Nov 9 2004, 12:52 AM Wrote:But it's specially formulated! By actual sports performance scientists!

Never mind that it's nothing more that just Kool-Aid with a pinch of salt.
[right][snapback]59709[/snapback][/right]

What can I say? I just have a crazing for sucrose syrup.

Smithy
Hail smithy,

had something rather similar happen to me...

It was late, I was sitting at my computer and had a few beers in me... well, more than a few, I guess. Anyway, I feel sleep coming on and lean back in my chair, which is designed to tilt backward to a certain degree.

Some time later, I wake up, wondering where I am, jumping forward in my seat and spilling a nice large glass of beer onto my wireless keyboard.

Thing I don't know is if being drunk at the time makes this better or worse than your case...

Good luck on the clean-up!

Take care,

Lord_Olf
"I don't like to brag, I don't like to boast, but I like hot butter on my breakfast toast!" - Flea
Lord_Olf,Nov 9 2004, 03:20 AM Wrote:It was late, I was sitting at my computer and had a few beers in me... Lord_Olf
[right][snapback]59723[/snapback][/right]

Ah yes, and if only we could do that at work, we'd get better ideas as different areas of the brain would be put to work as the brain cells died.

Also makes playing Diablo I left handed much funnier.

Occhi
Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Men 'O War!
In War, the outcome is never final. --Carl von Clausewitz--
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
John 11:35 - consider why.
In Memory of Pete
Hail Occhi,

Occhidiangela,Nov 9 2004, 05:46 PM Wrote:Ah yes, and if only we could do that at work, we'd get better ideas as different areas of the brain would be put to work as the brain cells died.
Occhi
[right][snapback]59749[/snapback][/right]

as far as I can remeber, I was having strange ideas... but let's not get into that *g*

Take care,

Lord_Olf
"I don't like to brag, I don't like to boast, but I like hot butter on my breakfast toast!" - Flea
Minionman,Nov 8 2004, 11:30 PM Wrote:I got this cut by cutting the plastic ring of an orange juice bottle.  I had already opened the cap, and was cutting the plastic ring of because that's something I do.

One of my homies used to wear them as rings. Just one at a time.

He would often take them from my orange juice containers, too.

Currently I have a container of Donald Duck orange juice.
-degrak
Using more than one question mark does not make it anymore of a question.
degrak.com
degrak youtube
Rinnhart,Nov 9 2004, 12:04 AM Wrote:DeeBye wins. QED (NT)
[right][snapback]59711[/snapback][/right]

No kidding. That's a big ow.
I may be dead, but I'm not old (source: see lavcat)

The gloves come off, I'm playing hardball. It's fourth and 15 and you're looking at a full-court press. (Frank Drebin in The Naked Gun)

Some people in forums do the next best thing to listening to themselves talk, writing and reading what they write (source, my brother)