Crushing Blow and Deadly Strike
Well, I am trying to make char with the highest possible ds and cb. If I add my % to do each it is over 100%. Maybe 60+ ds and 40ish cb. I wanted to know in what order these are calculated. Could I have a chance of doing quadruple damage when cb and ds are both used? Say I do 100 damage then cb doubles it to 200 then ds doubles it to 400? or is it more like 100 then plus 100 from cb and ds so doing 300 damage total? A little clarification about the mechanics of either of these would be appreceated. Thanks

lol sorry if I can't spell for some reason.
Dynomite,Dec 2 2004, 07:10 PM Wrote:Well, I am trying to make char with the highest possible ds and cb.  If I add my % to do each it is over 100%.  Maybe 60+ ds and 40ish cb.  I wanted to know in what order these are calculated.  Could I have a chance of doing quadruple damage when cb and ds are both used? Say I do 100 damage then cb doubles it to 200 then ds doubles it to 400? or is it more like 100 then plus 100 from cb and ds so doing 300 damage total?  A little clarification about the mechanics of either of these would be appreceated. Thanks
lol sorry if I can't spell for some reason.
[right][snapback]61751[/snapback][/right]

From the Arreat Summit

Quote:Deadly Strike
This is a chance of doing double damage. This bonus is applied after skills such as Critical Strike and any other damage bonuses. Critical Strike (CS) and Deadly Strike (DS) exclude each other.
If you have a 33% Deadly Strike item, and 68% Critical Strike Skill the complete chance to get double damage is:

=CS + (DS/100)*(100-CS)
=68% + (33/100)*32%
=68% + 10.56%
=78.56%

Crushing Blow
This is a chance of reducing a monster's health by X% in a single blow.

-Default: 1/4th
-vs. Players: 1/10th
-vs. Hirelings: 1/10th
-vs. Champions, Uniques, Bosses: 1/8th
-with missile weapons, default: 1/8th
-with missile weapons, vs. Players: 1/20th
-with missile weapons, vs Hirelings: 1/20th
-with missile weapons, vs Champions, Uniques, Bosses: 1/16th
-The life removed is also scaled with number of players. So that if a monster has 450% more life due to 8 players (or whatever the value is) the life removed is further reduced by the same amount (450% would equal multiplying by 4.5 so the life removed by Crushing Blow is divided by 4.5).
Physical resistance does apply to Crushing Blow damage, but only if the resistance is positive. Crushing Blow Items stack in most cases. In 1.10 Crushing Blow is calculated before your normal damage. So, before doing the damage that you would normally do, there is a chance you will reduce the health of the monster by X% then normal damage apply to the resulting lower life. If you have more than one item with Crushing Blow, the probabilities will be added together. There will be one random check for a Crushing Blow. There is no check for each separate item, so one can not get multiple Crushing Blows in one attack.

I'm pretty sure this information is still accurate but you never know with Blizzard. ;)
Crushing blow doesn't do double damage. You may be confusing it with Critical Strike, which is a chance to do double damage. However, you can't achieve both a critical strike and a deadly strike with the same attack; if you score a critical strike, then no check is made for deadly strike.

Crushing blow is a chance to reduce a monster's hitpoints by a percentage; the reduction is 25% normally, but is reduced to 10% versus players and hirelings, and to 12.5% against champions, (super)uniques and bosses. Furthermore, the reduction is halved again if it is applied at range.

Edit: too slow. Damn you, Tal. :D
You don't know what you're talking about.
Hmm, been a while since I checked, but you can't CS/DS the CB damage right? Can you DS/CS the damage done after the CB(previously damage came before CB, making it less useful) though?
AtomicKitKat,Dec 2 2004, 08:29 PM Wrote:Hmm, been a while since I checked, but you can't CS/DS the CB damage right? Can you DS/CS the damage done after the CB(previously damage came before CB, making it less useful) though?
[right][snapback]61774[/snapback][/right]

You can't CS/DS the CB damage, but you can CS/DS the physical damage from your attack, regardless of whether or not that attack triggers CB.
Thanks, I couldn't seem to find the info on the website. All I remember is it says that dealy strike was chance to do double damage. lol. Now what if I had over 100% deadly strike? Is that just a waste and just fun to look at or is it different from 100% ds?
Dynomite,Dec 2 2004, 10:03 PM Wrote:Thanks, I couldn't seem to find the info on the website.  All I remember is it says that dealy strike was chance to do double damage.  lol. Now what if I had over 100% deadly strike?  Is that just a waste and just fun to look at or is it different from 100% ds?
[right][snapback]61784[/snapback][/right]

Anything over 100% is wasted.
I think the Headstriker (unique battle sword) has 148% DS at lvl 99, that means before you reach lvl 99, that item already can have 100% DS and thus always does double damage, right?

~~~~~~~~

some questions on DS:

Does DS and CS double (or quadruple, if both chances applied) only the physical part of the damage? Eg. you're a zeal-paladin using Baranar's Star and equip with some DS items. Only the physical damage part of Baranar's Star will get doubled if the DS is applied.

What if you use Vengeance, does that double the physical damage of Vengeance (part of which is then converted to elemental damage?) but the elemental damages are not doubled?

What if Barbarian's Berserk ==> converts 100% physical dmg to magic dmg? Does DS double the magic damage of Berserk?

I think certain unique items have 100% deadly strike, does that mean that item always does double the physical dmg part of that unique item or are the other elemental damages (properties of the weapon) get doubled too?

~~~~~~

Some questions on CB:

it is applied/checked per blow. Does each hit of Zeal or Strafe consider as one "blow"? That is, if your Zeal/Strafe had 5 hits, is the check for CB done 5 times or only once and then applied to the 5 attacks?
dta,Dec 8 2004, 09:50 AM Wrote:I think the Headstriker (unique battle sword) has 148% DS at lvl 99, that means before you reach lvl 99, that item already can have 100% DS and thus always does double damage, right?

Yes.

Quote:some questions on DS:

Does DS and CS double (or quadruple, if both chances applied) only the physical part of the damage? Eg. you're a zeal-paladin using Baranar's Star and equip with some DS items. Only the physical damage part of Baranar's Star will get doubled if the DS is applied.

Only physical damage.

Quote:What if you use Vengeance, does that double the physical damage of Vengeance (part of which is then converted to elemental damage?) but the elemental damages are not doubled?

No. Vengeance doesn't convert any damage. It just adds a percentage of your weapon damage in the form of elemental damage. Deadly/critical strike doesn't affect your weapon damage, so it won't affect vengeance elemental damage.

Quote:What if Barbarian's Berserk ==> converts 100% physical dmg to magic dmg? Does DS double the magic damage of Berserk?

Yes. The doubling occurs before the conversion to magic damage. The same applies to other skills that convert damage (lightning bolt, fire arrow, magic arrow, etc.).

Quote:I think certain unique items have 100% deadly strike, does that mean that item always does double the physical dmg part of that unique item or are the other elemental damages (properties of the weapon) get doubled too?

Deadly strike applies only to physical damage.

Quote:Some questions on CB:

it is applied/checked per blow. Does each hit of Zeal or Strafe consider as one "blow"? That is, if your Zeal/Strafe had 5 hits, is the check for CB done 5 times or only once and then applied to the 5 attacks?
[right][snapback]62207[/snapback][/right]

The check is done per hit.