Yet Another Realm Down Question
Okay. Realm downs are the slime of Bnet. I sometimes MF for 1-2 hours at a time. Sometimes I get not one realm down, and other times I can get them 2-3 times. I usually spend about 1-2 minutes in a game (IDing, shopping takes up most of the time). The funny part is, about three days ago, when I got my sorceress to full potential I started these runs. I didn't get this many realm downs. Until about 3:00 last night. Same runs, same monsters, same average game time... I just don't get it. I'm thinking Bnet really has to get their stuff together. I'm about ready to just give up on this crap. *Laughs* Any help I can get on this would be appreciated.
Reguards,
Kepp
Keppard,Dec 3 2004, 02:16 AM Wrote:Okay. Realm downs are the slime of Bnet. I sometimes MF for 1-2 hours at a time. Sometimes I get not one realm down, and other times I can get them 2-3 times. I usually spend about 1-2 minutes in a game (IDing, shopping takes up most of the time). The funny part is, about three days ago, when I got my sorceress to full potential I started these runs. I didn't get this many realm downs. Until about 3:00 last night. Same runs, same monsters, same average game time... I just don't get it. I'm thinking Bnet really has to get their stuff together. I'm about ready to just give up on this crap. *Laughs* Any help I can get on this would be appreciated.
[right][snapback]61791[/snapback][/right]

:blink:

Let's run through that again.

Quote:Same runs, same monsters, same average game time... I just don't get it. I'm thinking Bnet really has to get their stuff together. I'm about ready to just give up on this crap. *Laughs* Any help I can get on this would be appreciated.

What kind of help are you expecting? They're doing exactly what they're supposed to be doing: preventing 20,000 games every 1-2 minutes.

It's quite intentional.
"AND THEN THE PALADIN TOOK MY EYES!"
Forever oppressed by the GOLs.
Grom Hellscream: [Orcish] kek
What I meant is, why now and not then? For about 2 1/2 days I had no realm downs at all. And all of a sudden, realm downs comin' out my ears.
Reguards,
Kepp
From what I know, the "Realms Down" is not really Realms being down.

Rather, it's from entering and exiting games consecutively within a span of a few minutes. You're probably doing the runs from game to game quite quickly. (I can force getting the Realm Down message just by clicking each of my 8 characters in the account/character selection screen successively ==> that is, click/select the 1st character, press Esc to exit, select/click next character and continue that up to the 8th character).

Before you click on the 8th character, you'll get a Realms Down message.

Since I'm using a Dial-Up connection, what I do is to disconnect (dial-up modem) from my ISP (Internet Service Provider) and then redial the ISP (which seems to give me a new IP address). That way, I don't have to wait xx minutes before the Realm Down message appears again.
Ah the famous Realm Down...

Realm Down:

This is a very popular temporary ban provided by Blizzard to ensure that long lines do not re-occur. It also successfully stopped all but three of the major botting programs that were out last July.

Specs:

This ban will last from five minutes up to forty-eight hours. Note that this is dependant on your past banning habits and the severity of the reason banned. Multiple logon attempts will worsen your ban. Check after ten minutes, then every half hour afterwards. After 24 hours, hourly checkups are safe.

causes:

There are several factors that come into play here. The first is simple. Transitioning from the login screen to your character selection screen starts a log. Once you choose a character and proceed to the next screen that marks as a one. Reverting to the character screen and back to the next screen will move you up to a two. Do this too many times in a row and you will be thrown out to the login screen.

The second factor is game creation and game joining. Once you leave a game a counter starts up and notes how long it takes for you to join your next game. I believe that if a pattern is caught in this transition, you are kicked out. Joining or creating games too quickly also causes this ban.

The third factor is spam. Spam can mean a various amount of actions done repeatedly without stopping. Listed below are examples of this:

-Overuse of the mouse wheel
-Spamming text three or more times rapidly
-Using a skill over and over again without stopping or moving. (normal game play will not boot you)
-Opening and closing the NPC shop screen over and over again without stopping.
-The use of multiple waypoints, one after the other.
-Constant use of a skill that doesn't have a delay timer. (once again, not in normal game play)
-You should get it by now.

prevention:

-Entering the chat screen between leaving for a new character or a new game.
-Slowing down your leaving and joining/creating of games.
-Avoiding any kind of spam.

It is possible that the realm is really down with this message. This can easily be checked here at the forums. the "Battle.net Status" forum is there for that reason.