WoW Fansite Chat Coming on Dec 13th
An official WoW fansite chat will be held on December 13th, and the official fansite handlers are asking each of the sites to come up with three questions to submit by December 8th. That's where you come in! Write your suggested questions here, and try to come up with questions that might have a snowball's-chance-in-hell of being answered. Obviously, things that let them toot their horns will be more likely to be answered. I'm hoping that with the wit and intelligence that Lurkers have, we can come up with a question or two that the Blizzard bigwigs will answer with useful information.
MongoJerry,Dec 3 2004, 05:56 AM Wrote:I'm hoping that with the wit and intelligence that Lurkers have, we can come up with a question or two that the Blizzard bigwigs will answer with useful information.
[right][snapback]61798[/snapback][/right]

Here is an 80% dressed question. Probably needs one more edit to make it more tightly worded, it seems longish. Issue: keeping interest alive on PvP realms.

I see a future when a few power gaming Guilds dominate each of the PvP realms. Power tends to concentrate over time if a Guild can find and squash competitors, nipping them in the bud so to speak.

In order to keep the field of play appealing to new PvP customers, those who are not interested in being Gank chum as the game goes on, do you envision future Blizzard (and/or partners) sponsored official tournaments Ladder / competition on the PvP servers to keep the high end players content to battle one another?
Is it your intent to open more PvP realms as the subscriber base increases -- which it is sure to after the early kudos you have drawn?
Do you sincerely believe that the variations in character build can keep even power gamers content to start anew every so often?

Any help in better focus appreciated.

Occhi
Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Men 'O War!
In War, the outcome is never final. --Carl von Clausewitz--
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
John 11:35 - consider why.
In Memory of Pete
Question:

Should players expect a response when paging a GM or submitting a trouble ticket? In the three times I have used this feature (one for being stuck when mining before the unstuck option was available and two for NPC non-function), I have never got any kind of response. The open ticket message just eventually went away.

[edit]Shortly after I went in tonight, I was back at the same NPC that wasn't working. After waiting a few minutes, I was whispered by not one but two GMs, one shortly after the other. They each told me that the quest (traitor part of defias brotherhood) was broken and they were working on it. I don't know if this was from my open ticket or from them watching the activity on the server. Another good thing, one of them asked if I was enjoying WoW. When I said, "Indeed. I am totally addicted.", he said "hehe, me too". It's good to know they enjoy playing it too and aren't just earning a buck. They can see it from a gamers point of view.[/edit]

As and aside, for those who get stuck when herbing (which may also work for stuck in mining and skinning and ?), if you find another herb to harvest, go to it and do herbalism on it. When you finish the new one, you will unstick from the first. As you glide around looking for a new patch, you are able to be attacked and to attack but I don't think you can loot what you kill.
Lochnar[ITB]
Freshman Diablo

[Image: jsoho8.png][Image: 10gmtrs.png]

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
"You don't know how strong you can be until strong is the only option."
"Think deeply, speak gently, love much, laugh loudly, give freely, be kind."
"Talk, Laugh, Love."
LochnarITB,Dec 3 2004, 05:44 PM Wrote:As and aside, for those who get stuck when herbing (which may also work for stuck in mining and skinning and ?), if you find another herb to harvest, go to it and do herbalism on it.  When you finish the new one, you will unstick from the first.  As you glide around looking for a new patch, you are able to be attacked and to attack but I don't think you can loot what you kill.
[right][snapback]61834[/snapback][/right]

Been there and done that with mining. Almost had the same thing happen with general looting once. Interesting thing on the mining is that the same node did it to my character repeatedly for up to an hour before I was finally able to loot it successfully once.
MongoJerry,Dec 3 2004, 06:56 AM Wrote:An official WoW fansite chat will be held on December 13th, and the official fansite handlers are asking each of the sites to come up with three questions to submit by December 8th.  That's where you come in!  Write your suggested questions here, and try to come up with questions that might have a snowball's-chance-in-hell of being answered.  Obviously, things that let them toot their horns will be more likely to be answered.  I'm hoping that with the wit and intelligence that Lurkers have, we can come up with a question or two that the Blizzard bigwigs will answer with useful information.
[right][snapback]61798[/snapback][/right]
Simply put, when will the PvP honor/reward system go in, so I can start playing, now that it looks like most of the server stability issues are being brought down to a sane level?

Until that's in, I consider this an unfinished game and I don't pay to beta test.

-Bolty
Quote:Considering the mods here are generally liberals who seem to have a soft spot for fascism and white supremacy (despite them saying otherwise), me being perma-banned at some point is probably not out of the question.
Bolty,Dec 4 2004, 10:19 AM Wrote:Simply put, when will the PvP honor/reward system go in, so I can start playing, now that it looks like most of the server stability issues are being brought down to a sane level?

Until that's in, I consider this an unfinished game and I don't pay to beta test.

-Bolty
[right][snapback]61896[/snapback][/right]

Considering the PvP thread you linked elsewhere, wherein the dishonour system is not going to be a useful deterrent due to its being absent . . .

How do you intend to appeal to new PvP customers, those not interested in being Gank chum, since your predicted honour system will not come to pass?

Different approach to the same question, and much shorter than my first try.

Occhi
In Memory of Pete
How about a question about hunter pet abilities? As I understand it, there are still only a couple of them in game. I'm not sure what has been announce about them so far, but if its not much then it seems like a reasonable question. Something along the lines of "Can you tell us about some of the new pet abilities that you are planning on adding. Do you have any time table for when they will be added?" Something along those lines. Something short and a little open so that they can choose how much info to give. It also lets them brag a little about how cool the new abilities are and tease a bit about when they will be out.
Occhidiangela,Dec 3 2004, 07:43 AM Wrote:Here is an 80% dressed question.  Probably needs one more edit to make it more tightly worded, it seems longish.  Issue: keeping interest alive on PvP realms.

I see a future when a few power gaming Guilds dominate each of the PvP realms.  Power tends to concentrate over time if a Guild can find and squash competitors, nipping them in the bud so to speak.

In order to keep the field of play appealing to new PvP customers, those who are not interested in being Gank chum as the game goes on, do you envision future Blizzard (and/or partners) sponsored official tournaments Ladder / competition on the PvP servers to keep the high end players content to battle one another? 
Is it your intent to open more PvP realms as the subscriber base increases -- which it is sure to after the early kudos you have drawn? 
Do you sincerely believe that the variations in character build can keep even power gamers content to start anew every so often?

Any help in better focus appreciated.

Occhi
[right][snapback]61811[/snapback][/right]

I'm curious on how you came up with that vision, Occhi.
"AND THEN THE PALADIN TOOK MY EYES!"
Forever oppressed by the GOLs.
Grom Hellscream: [Orcish] kek
Rinnhart,Dec 6 2004, 12:10 AM Wrote:I'm curious on how you came up with that vision, Occhi.
[right][snapback]62021[/snapback][/right]

Easy. Human nature.

In a realm that is set up according to "jungle rules" the natural titration of powerful, harcore, team oriented gaming guilds to the top is a human dynamic that is repeated over and over in human history. See how Mafia or Cripps rise to power and thrive in streets, albeit in different decades. They don't play by anyone's rules but their own. Similar to those exercising monopolistic business practices, snuffing competition early is how to sustain power, not waiting until there is a "fair fight." The craving for power shapes behaviour in some folks.

It's not the game, at that point, it is the people. I wrote the question before I read the 13+ page discussion on bnet forums about where PvP was and was not going, and all that discussion did, besides drive me mad with redundant argument, was reconfirm for me the suspicion that there is only so much one can do to counter griefers.

Perhaps the PvP Realms and a deliberate misdirection in the manual (could that be?), versus the PvE and RP Realms, is Blizzard's attempt to get the griefers' money and then give the griefers their own haven for a while so that the bulk of them get their jollies away from "nice people" when the game starts out.

In that pursuit, die hard and dedicated PvP players will still get a rush for dominating a realm. That too is a people thing, and they won't all necessarily be griefers. What they will be is disciplined, organized, and team focused. Remember RussBarb from D II? The best PvP guild may be a dedicated anti griefer team. The key is focused and dedicated Team effort. The best teams, before the salary cap in the NFL for example, tended to make dynasties who rule a realm. See the Feudalism point above. ;)

Occhi
In Memory of Pete
Question:

When is "Diablo III" coming out? :w00t: :lol: ;)
"Man only plays when in the full meaning of the word he is a man, and he is only completely a man when he plays." -- Friedrich von Schiller
It's not the greatest question in the world, but I'm still curious as to when guild housing will happen and how they see it. Will there be a common vault? Will there be some sort of vendor/auction house so that rarer items can still get in the hands of those who need them within the guild but the supplier can get a least a something out of it? You know selling to other guild mates at what you would get at a regular vendor type of deal. You still get a little bit from it and the guild mate who gets it can provide you with compensation. If you want to donate you can still stick it in the common vault. Good guild housing could really help the game along. 50 gold (or whatever) for a guild house, anothe 50 (or whatever) for a common vault, another money sink for the private auction house/vendor. Modular design you know, let the guilds that want to work that way pay for it and those who don't don't. Just some rambling thoughts really.
---
It's all just zeroes and ones and duct tape in the end.
Bolty, I can answer that question for you already:

"Soon" ;)

But yea, I'd like to see the reply to that as well, at least when they implement Battlegrounds or something. Right now it gives me that same feeling that we had about Guild Halls and Arenas in Diablo 2 - they kept getting postponed until they were scrapped.
Thanks all for the suggestions! I'm going to submit these three questions:
  1. Simply put, when will the PvP honor/reward system and the first Battlegrounds go in?
    <>
  2. How do you intend to appeal to new PvP customers, those not interested in being gank chum, since your previously publicized anti-ganking dishonor system will not come to pass?
    <>
  3. Can you tell us about some of the new hunter pet abilities that you are planning to add? Do you have any time table for when they will be added?"<>
    [st]
    -----------------------------------------------

Notes: I chose not to ask about guild housing, because Blizzard has been consistent about saying that player housing will appear in an explansion pack, which is so far away that I doubt that the question would be answered. I hope the editing of the three questions I am submitting satisfies the original question authors.
Occhidiangela,Dec 6 2004, 07:24 AM Wrote:Easy.&nbsp; Human nature.

In a realm that is set up according to "jungle rules" the natural titration of powerful, harcore, team oriented gaming guilds to the top is a human dynamic that is repeated over and over in human history.&nbsp; See how Mafia or Cripps rise to power and thrive in streets, albeit in different decades. They don't play by anyone's rules but their own.&nbsp; Similar to those exercising monopolistic business practices, snuffing competition early is how to sustain power, not waiting until there is a "fair fight."&nbsp; The craving for power shapes behaviour in some folks.

It's not the game, at that point, it is the people.&nbsp; I wrote the question before I read the 13+ page discussion on bnet forums about where PvP was and was not going, and all that discussion did, besides drive me mad with redundant argument, was reconfirm for me the suspicion that there is only so much one can do to counter griefers.

Perhaps the PvP Realms and a deliberate misdirection in the manual (could that be?), versus the PvE and RP Realms, is Blizzard's attempt to get the griefers' money and then give the griefers their own haven for a while so that the bulk of them get their jollies away from "nice people" when the game starts out.&nbsp;

In that pursuit, die hard and dedicated PvP players will still get a rush for dominating a realm.&nbsp; That too is a people thing, and they won't all necessarily be griefers.&nbsp; What they will be is disciplined, organized, and team focused.&nbsp; Remember RussBarb from D II?&nbsp; The best PvP guild may be a dedicated anti griefer team.&nbsp; The key is focused and dedicated Team effort.&nbsp; The best teams, before the salary cap in the NFL for example, tended to make dynasties who rule a realm.&nbsp; See the Feudalism point above.&nbsp; ;)&nbsp;

Occhi
[right][snapback]62038[/snapback][/right]

Problem is, Occhi, the only behaviors available to people do not impose permanent damage upon other players. All killing someone does is piss them off. That doesn't quash competition, it breeds competition. Do stupid #$%& long enough and you alienate the rest of the server.
Occhidiangela,Dec 6 2004, 07:24 AM Wrote:Easy.&nbsp; Human nature.

In a realm that is set up according to "jungle rules" the natural titration of powerful, harcore, team oriented gaming guilds to the top is a human dynamic that is repeated over and over in human history.&nbsp; See how Mafia or Cripps rise to power and thrive in streets, albeit in different decades. They don't play by anyone's rules but their own.&nbsp; Similar to those exercising monopolistic business practices, snuffing competition early is how to sustain power, not waiting until there is a "fair fight."&nbsp; The craving for power shapes behaviour in some folks.

. . . In that pursuit, die hard and dedicated PvP players will still get a rush for dominating a realm.&nbsp; That too is a people thing, and they won't all necessarily be griefers.&nbsp; What they will be is disciplined, organized, and team focused.&nbsp; Remember RussBarb from D II?&nbsp; The best PvP guild may be a dedicated anti griefer team.&nbsp; The key is focused and dedicated Team effort.&nbsp; The best teams, before the salary cap in the NFL for example, tended to make dynasties who rule a realm.&nbsp; See the Feudalism point above.&nbsp; ;)

The trouble with taking this idea too far is that one must also take into account the principle of "Balance of Power." That is, whenever one faction gains too much power, other parties will unite to counter the dominant faction, even if those parties are fundamentally opposed to one another. If outside parties are unable to muster enough strength to counter the dominant faction, then forces will rise from within the dominant faction and fracture it. In order to maintain one's dominance, the dominant faction must be ever vigiliant to counter moves against it, and ultimately all such dominant factions are doomed to failure. This is true for empires, monopolies, political parties, or even sports teams.
MongoJerry,Dec 6 2004, 04:20 PM Wrote:That is, whenever one faction gains too much power, other parties will unite to counter the dominant faction, even if those parties are fundamentally opposed to one another. If outside parties are unable to muster enough strength to counter the dominant faction, then forces will rise from within the dominant faction and fracture it. In order to maintain one's dominance, the dominant faction must be ever vigiliant to counter moves against it, and ultimately all such dominant factions are doomed to failure. This is true for empires, monopolies, political parties, or even sports teams.
[right][snapback]62062[/snapback][/right]

True enough in history, (over variable time horizons) however, in the explicitly artificial world of the WoW, I will suggest that your assumption of the great uprising of "other factors" (how, spontaneously?) can, due to server population limitations and the UNequal balance of playing time resources, be called into serious question. Now, if the GM induces such balancing forces, OK, then it is no longer jungle rules, it is the Game Referee imposing a second level of artificiality into the realm/server to "balance" it . . . at the risk of losing the monthly subscribing Gankhound.

What might look to be an appetizing option would be to make PvP servers Hardcore, so that when rivals or balancing forces arise, they put paid to the Gankmasters for good . . . however, given level caps, this is probably a milieu set up to favor the Gankmeisters in the form of an incentive to go forth, seek out nascent uprisings, and put paid to them for good.

Maybe my experiences with the HC world of D II skews my view on this.

EDIT for clarity and a few typos.

Occhi
In Memory of Pete
Rinnhart,Dec 6 2004, 03:35 PM Wrote:Do stupid #$%& long enough and you alienate the rest of the server.

[right][snapback]62060[/snapback][/right]

Yes, but don't you think that alienating the rest of the server matters not one whit to the Gankfiend? I imagine it gives a certain visceral pleasure. :P

Occhi
In Memory of Pete
MongoJerry,Dec 6 2004, 03:47 PM Wrote:Thanks all for the suggestions!&nbsp; I'm going to submit these three questions:

1. <>
  2. Simply put, when will the PvP honor/reward system and the first Battlegrounds go in?

<>
  3. How do you intend to appeal to new PvP customers, those not interested in being gank chum, since your previously publicized anti-ganking dishonor system will not come to pass?

<>
  4. Can you tell us about some of the new hunter pet abilities that you are planning to add? Do you have any time table for when they will be added?"
    <>
    [st]
    -----------------------------------------------

Notes:&nbsp; I chose not to ask about guild housing, because Blizzard has been consistent about saying that player housing will appear in an explansion pack, which is so far away that I doubt that the question would be answered.&nbsp; I hope the editing of the three questions I am submitting satisfies the original question authors.
    [right][snapback]62056[/snapback][/right]

I like them. Direct and to the point. Can't wait to see the acrobatics Blizzard pulls off in dodging that second question :)
ArrayPaladins were not meant to sit in the back of the raid staring at health bars all day, spamming heals and listening to eight different classes whine about buffs.[/quote]
The original Heavy Metal Cow™. USDA inspected, FDA approved.
MongoJerry,Dec 6 2004, 02:47 PM Wrote:Thanks all for the suggestions!&nbsp; I'm going to submit these three questions:

1. <>
  2. Simply put, when will the PvP honor/reward system and the first Battlegrounds go in?<>
    [st]
    [right][snapback]62056[/snapback][/right]

Well, they already answered this, so I think there's no reason to ask it now. Better served with a different question, no?

-Bolty
Quote:Considering the mods here are generally liberals who seem to have a soft spot for fascism and white supremacy (despite them saying otherwise), me being perma-banned at some point is probably not out of the question.
After trying several times to articulate exactly what I'm actually trying to get across, I've given up.

I cannot continue this discussion. Studying for finals has left me at my wits end.

Perhaps in a week.

I think I'll go have another nightmare about Julius Caesar being controlled by the Overmind and attempting to invade Bugger teritory by giving blankets tainted with various mood and personality disorders to that crazy giantcelticladywho'snameIcan'trememberandwhowillcertainlybeonthatdamnessayquestion.