recycled content
As this is my first MMORPG, I have a question regarding the genre. Even at my low level and limited range of exploration, I have already seen recycled cave layouts. Then, of course, there are the baddies. A lot of the quests call for killing x number of y monsters. When you go to find them, they appear to all be the same until you mouse over them to get their name. They are all the same model. They just have different stats and abilities. Is this normal for this type of game or does WoW use this to a greater extent than usual?

This in no way changes the fun I am having. It also does nothing to break the horrible addiction I have for WoW. It is simply an observation that I am curious about.
Lochnar[ITB]
Freshman Diablo

[Image: jsoho8.png][Image: 10gmtrs.png]

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
"You don't know how strong you can be until strong is the only option."
"Think deeply, speak gently, love much, laugh loudly, give freely, be kind."
"Talk, Laugh, Love."
LochnarITB,Dec 12 2004, 11:51 PM Wrote:[question about repeated mobs and dungeon layouts][right][snapback]62686[/snapback][/right]

I know about at least two games that do this: Diablo & Diablo II.

:)

-Arnulf

Edit: spelled dungeon wrong...
Old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm!
LochnarITB,Dec 12 2004, 02:51 PM Wrote:As this is my first MMORPG, I have a question regarding the genre.  Even at my low level and limited range of exploration, I have already seen recycled cave layouts.  Then, of course, there are the baddies.  A lot of the quests call for killing x number of y monsters.  When you go to find them, they appear to all be the same until you mouse over them to get their name.  They are all the same model.  They just have different stats and abilities.  Is this normal for this type of game or does WoW use this to a greater extent than usual?

This in no way changes the fun I am having.  It also does nothing to break the horrible addiction I have for WoW.  It is simply an observation that I am curious about.
[right][snapback]62686[/snapback][/right]

All MMOs recycle monster models. Most recycle at least parts of their dungeons. Or areas feel identical due to recycled textures.

I was a little annoyed by how much some of the music pieces are used; finding Westfall music in the Durotar was a bit disheartening. At least the main cities seem to have their own unique sounds.
"AND THEN THE PALADIN TOOK MY EYES!"
Forever oppressed by the GOLs.
Grom Hellscream: [Orcish] kek
Rinnhart,Dec 14 2004, 02:04 AM Wrote:I was a little annoyed by how much some of the music pieces are used; finding Westfall music in the Durotar was a bit disheartening. At least the main cities seem to have their own unique sounds.
[right][snapback]62785[/snapback][/right]
I had to just shut off all my music because of the overly dramatic music in much of the Alliance territory and the abrupt cutting in and out of the music. It's a shame that the only blizzard game where I don't have to always shut off the music is D1.
Intolerant monkey.