Problems with my graphics (card?)
Well, I have a problem with my computer and thought someone here might have an idea. Basically, this is what I experience:

I have noticed that some games seems to simply freeze my computer. No big deal I though.

I have started to notice that in the same games (Raise of Nations which I have played mostly but also tried Armies of Exig the other day) seems to have problems with coloured "dots". Basically on the black background (were it is noticable at least, not sure if it is on other places too) I get small 1 pixle dots that are for example green in colour (in Rais of Nations I also get general pixel flicker (like on a TV with nothing on but MUCH less) in the background.

I have also started to notice in in my web browser, small green dots, typically a few in a row (top to bottom), perhaps 5.7 of them spaced out. I saw the same in Media player when looking at a video clip. No it is not the monitor since they follow when I move the window). They can dissapear if I make them go outside the view (of screen or scrolling them outside view area of window).

I have also noticed (in the two games I mentioned since they are the ones I have played) some teaxture problems, that is, suddenly some cliffs did not have the teaxture done in Raise of Nations, just grey flat areas. In the other game, the same, large areas with no teaxture, just colourfull faces (each face its own colour).

I have tried updating my drivers for the card, I have updates for Windows done. I have both anti virus programs and anti ad-ware/spy checkers and so on.

Any ideas? The only thing I can think of is that my graphics card is messed up and broken.

EDIT: Just tried to start the game, it booted my computer and on the very first screen (the one the BIOS shows, it was a lot of colourfull squares :) ).

Thanks in advance for any help.
There are three types of people in the world. Those who can count and those who can't.
Sounds messed up to me. Specs?
Kharohz,Dec 17 2004, 09:15 PM Wrote:Sounds messed up to me. Specs?
[right][snapback]63065[/snapback][/right]

You mean what card?

GeForce 4 Ti 4200. Seems the latest drivers removed a few tabs from the "advanced" tab on the info when you right click on the desktop. I think it is the Nvidia/ASUS tabs. So I can't see the actual card, I think it was 9800 or so.
There are three types of people in the world. Those who can count and those who can't.
I had a GeForce Ti4200 that started to do that. In the end it was a case of the card burning itself out. The fan had been going bad (unknown to me) and eventually the thing overheated on me. It sunk into the ninth level of Hell and took the AGP slot kicking and screaming along for the ride.

Good times.

Just to check, open the case and ensure that the fan on the vid card is running on startup. Then run whichever games have been giving you problems and take a look. Can't hurt.
See you in Town,
-Z
Hmm. If possible, take out the graphics card and check for fine dust in the fan. I do this every few months with my Geforce 4 Ti. It gets very dusty.

While I'm here...

I've been experiencing some power? problems. As a symptom, when I boot up in WinXP, it displays something like: Hardware monitor has detected an error: See power menu for details..

Hitting setup shows the hardware monitor CPU?/Fan temperature. It seems high.

My computer cuts off power after extended use. Presumably after overheating from extended use. Luckily, this hasn't happened often after I gave my computer time to cool, and dusted the innards of my power supply unit. But seeing "error" still bothers me. Anyone familiar?