Game wont run , techie help please
OK , awaiting the Euro release of WoW I console myself by creating yet more characters in LoD , now everything has been fine , well , since forever with this game . Last night I turned off the PC , today turned it on and fired up the game , all I get is a black screen . I click the shortcut and get a black screen , causing me to reset the computer , nothing else can get me out of this . Putting in the disc and clicking on the run game I end up with a black screen , I have no idea what is going on , any ideas wold be helpfull cheers . The funny thing is I bought my 2 oldest daughters a PC last christmas 2003 and thought of putting LoD on there , I tried with exactly the same results as I am getting here , a black screen and no further , eventually giving up and not bothering , now I am getting the problem , weird .

edit : Just updated the new NVidia drivers , only 2 months newer than my old , still nothing , still hangs when I try to start .
Take care
run the vid test and see if it will work in 2D, 3D or glide.

i got a black screen a few times when i had my refresh rate set wrong (toofast) for 800x600
-Tempus-
Only play PoE now.
Hiya , at this point I had uninstalled and reinstalled Diablo and ran the vid test with no problems . I thought that was it till I tried running again , but no go . I have no idea what caused this , atm I am busy backing up stuff to cd then I am going to reformat , if that does'nt work , I think I may just give the accounts up , WoW is around the corner and that will keep me busy for quite some time .
Take care
Raven Vale,Dec 29 2004, 11:13 AM Wrote:Hiya , at this point I had uninstalled and reinstalled Diablo and ran the vid test with no problems . I thought that was it till I tried running again , but no go . I have no idea what caused this , atm I am busy backing up stuff to cd then I am going to reformat , if that does'nt work , I think I may just give the accounts up , WoW is around the corner and that will keep me busy for quite some time .
[right][snapback]63799[/snapback][/right]

At what point does the screen go black?

You could *try* creating a shortcut to "diablo ii.exe" and adding "-skiptobnet" and "-ns" to the end of the path; these will skip the opening cinematics and disable sound respectively. I have vague memories of sound problems causing lockups on startup. Other than that, the only thing that might be of use is pasting the contents of the log file from your d2 directory: it'll be called D2YYMMDD.txt, where YYMMDD represents the current date.
You don't know what you're talking about.
When I click on either the shortcut or on the CD "play diablo" it immediately goes to a black screen , which is the usual start , but instead of going further now it just hangs there .
I just tried the video test again , but this time went 2d and it works ? this has me confused now , is this my graphics card playing up ?
Take care
you chance the properties of the shortcut to look like this
"C:\Diablo II\Diablo II.exe" -skiptobnet

but if it is working now run with it

you may want to try the low lag patch or the glide wraper and see if they help. both can be found here in some thread.
-Tempus-
Only play PoE now.
Thanks -Tempus- , I'll try that anyway for a bit of speed . Had some weirdness last night with windows , some sound errors etc where being deleted on one of my startups , anyway , long story short , I shoved the windows disc in , did a repair job and everything is fine , also Diablo is now running in 3d again . But I like that shortcut so will try that , cheers .
Take care
Raven Vale,Dec 29 2004, 12:15 PM Wrote:When I click on either the shortcut or on the CD "play diablo" it immediately goes to a black screen , which is the usual start , but instead of going further now it just hangs there .
I just tried the video test again , but this time went 2d and it works ? this has me confused now , is this my graphics card playing up ?
[right][snapback]63804[/snapback][/right]

No, this is you changing your base video settings to one that D2 couldn't recognize, so when you ran the vidtest again, it changed the game's initialization startup to compensate for the changes you had made. If it works now, don't break it... :)