Number of monster types per area
Hi

I was under the impression that there would be three monster types per area. However, a recent trip through the Glacial Trail of Hell yielded only Bone Mages and Bone Warriors, and no other monster type at all (well, except for the minions of Bonesaw Breaker).

It was a rather convenient draw, so I cleared the entire area to make absolutely sure before checking out the Drifter Cavern.

A Bnet oddity? Or can this happen more frequently?
And you may call it righteousness
When civility survives,
But I've had dinner with the Devil and
I know nice from right.

From Dinner with the Devil, by Big Rude Jake

ShadowHM,Jan 8 2005, 04:31 PM Wrote:I was under the impression that there would be three monster types per area.  However, a recent trip through the Glacial Trail of Hell yielded only Bone Mages and Bone Warriors, and no other monster type at all (well, except for the minions of Bonesaw Breaker).
[right][snapback]64791[/snapback][/right]

(begin handwaving)

I guess that when the game adds the monsters to the map, it randomly picks what type they're going to be from its chosen "possible monsters" list; therefore, there's nothing to stop it accidentally failing to pick one of the types purely by chance. I've certainly had maps before where there have been only one or two or a given monster type.

(end handwaving)

You can get more than three non-boss/champion types if a monster type always spawns with monsters of a different type (e.g. oblivion knights/abyss knights), or if they're built into the map.
You don't know what you're talking about.