Working on a Zealot (or other type of pally)
Normally I'd scan the Basin, but you know the troubles it's having right now. I got a friend to buy D2, and tonight is going to be his first game. I recommended a zookeeper necro for him since he liked my hoards in Guild Wars and that's the build I started with. I want to build a palladin to support his minions. I figured I'd finally build that Zealot I've been meaning to try again since 1.04. I was thinking to max Sacurfice, Zeal, Fana, and Holy Shield. I'd put a point in a few other auras after the build is done so I could assist in other ways. Is this really something I should be doing? Should I be putting less points into Zeal and it's synergy? Or should I try a Tesladin zealot? Or even an Avenger with high level conviction? This is going to be for softcore ladder. I'm not rich by any means so I should have a build based around a piece of equipment.
If you want an item-independant build, a Fanatic Zealot is one of the most efficient ones. Your skill framework looks good for the most part - but remember to drop the token point into Vengeance for a hedge against physical immunes/stone skin. Your necro friend's Amp Damage won't break all of them.

Basically, a few points in Holy Shield, pumped-up Zeal and Sacrifice, and the aura of your choice will let you cover all of Normal and most of Nightmare. Fanaticism is the classic aura for a Zealer, giving solid bonuses to AR, damage, and attack speed. Holy Shock is also doable, but it's more point-intensive, requiring investments in the aura's synergies as well as the existing skills. Also, it provides no real benefit to the skeleton army, and can end up drawing a lot of extra fire your way.

The Avenger build is painfully mana-dependant for average Joes like you and me. If you want to go that route anyway, keep Holy Shield and inflate Conviction up as high as you can get it. Also, look to the synergies for added damage rather than the skill itself to keep the mana cost down. I'd actually recommend leaving Vengeance at level 1 until you're certain your mana leeching can support more. Don't worry too much about your chance to hit, because the character screen doesn't take into account the huge defense reduction from Conviction.
Avengers used to be very mana intensive *grumbles something about Insight mercs taking the Medic's job*. How many points into Holy Shield is "a few"?
Not everybody has Insight, and even Meditation can't always keep up with high-level Vengeance. (Speaking from experience.)

I usually shoot for level 4-6 Holy Shield at first so I'm not recasting it every time I turn around, then pump it further at the very end once my main skill is built-up enough for my tastes.
Zingydex,Jan 19 2005, 07:15 PM Wrote:Not everybody has Insight, and even Meditation can't always keep up with high-level Vengeance.  (Speaking from experience.)

I usually shoot for level 4-6 Holy Shield at first so I'm not recasting it every time I turn around, then pump it further at the very end once my main skill is built-up enough for my tastes.
[right][snapback]65879[/snapback][/right]

Once zeal/fana/sac/HS have all been accounted for it might eb worth plowing some points into defiance too, just for the extra defence, but it rather depends on how large the number that you'll be increasing is.

I'll get around to editing this with the current equipment list that my guy uses. It's by no means Uber, but it's not scrapyard stuff either (a few exceptional uniques, tops)

-Bob
Zingydex,Jan 18 2005, 07:25 PM Wrote:The Avenger build is painfully mana-dependant for average Joes like you and me.  If you want to go that route anyway, keep Holy Shield and inflate Conviction up as high as you can get it.  Also, look to the synergies for added damage rather than the skill itself to keep the mana cost down.  I'd actually recommend leaving Vengeance at level 1 until you're certain your mana leeching can support more.  Don't worry too much about your chance to hit, because the character screen doesn't take into account the huge defense reduction from Conviction.

I've found that I can usually make it through most fights without much mana trouble using a vengeance/conviction build. The trick for me has been the one point in redemption (I think that's the name I'm looking for). After the baddies fall I take a moment to flash from conviction to redemption and get some of the mana back. I can't be sure that this will continue to work for me since this is the first pally I've played in a long time, and he just turned 30 in normal. I'm actually only using one point in vengeance (+2 from my mace) and spending more points for the synergies from resist fireghtning/cold.

I do have another question about the avenger build though: what merc should I consider? At the moment, my A2 normal defiance merc is doing well, but I'm not sure how much longer he'll be able to hang with me. Any suggestions on what makes a good merc for the 30+ avenger?

edit: clean grammar and spelling a bit
ah bah-bah-bah-bah-bah-bah-bob
dyah ah dah-dah-dah-dah-dah-dah-dah-dth
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
holy freeze is always a nice choice if you nothing else stands out, unless your defense is good and you need every corpse for redemption. In my experiences with holy freeze it leaves plenty of corpses for corpse skills, for you this may be different.
I may be dead, but I'm not old (source: see lavcat)

The gloves come off, I'm playing hardball. It's fourth and 15 and you're looking at a full-court press. (Frank Drebin in The Naked Gun)

Some people in forums do the next best thing to listening to themselves talk, writing and reading what they write (source, my brother)
mageofthesands,Jan 19 2005, 02:53 AM Wrote:Avengers used to be very mana intensive *grumbles something about Insight mercs taking the Medic's job*.  How many points into Holy Shield is "a few"?
[right][snapback]65842[/snapback][/right]
Hi!

Back in 1.10 I had a lvl 88 pally that relied on fanaticism. He had the skill maxed and also vengeance. Since the mana cost was really quite annoying then, I used exactly the same method as Munkay: 1 point in redemption. (1 point wonder that got of course upped by the +5 or so to all skills) Since you're mainly gonna use this skill for physical immunes, that should be enough to solve your mana problems. Overmore, this skill also helps you against the leech penalty of some monsters, especially in hell (since it's not affected by it when the foes are dead IIRC). Further skills have been
Holy Shield (20)
Salvation(1)
Holy Freeze(~8)
Thorns(~10)
Zeal(~10)

I don't recall the exact numbers for all skills, though. Just know that I already maxed Vengeance, Fanaticism and Holy Shield, and was working on Zeal for the damage bonus. The Holy Freeze and the Thorns are rudiments from his pre-1.10 days, and are sometimes fairly useful.
My equipment was quite good, I had no elite rune words, though:
Heaven's Light
Herald Of Zakarum
Templar's Might
Veil of Steel/Andariel's Visage
Mara's Kaleidoscope
Raven Frost
Bul-Kathos' Wedding Band
several charms that I thought were good.

He was doing quite well, of course since I played him singleplayer I mostly didn't have to cope with the lag monster.
Anyways, good luck!

Greetings, Fragbait
Quote:You cannot pass... I am a servant of the Secret Fire, wielder of the Flame of Anor. The Dark Flame will not avail you, Flame of Udun. Go back to the shadow. You shall not pass.
- Gandalf, speaking to the Balrog

Quote:Empty your mind. Be formless, shapeless, like water. Now you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle. You put it in a teapot, it becomes the teapot. Now water can flow, or it can crash! Be water, my friend...
- Bruce Lee

Quote: There's an old Internet adage which simply states that the first person to resort to personal attacks in an online argument is the loser. Don't be one.
- excerpt from the forum rules

Post content property of Fragbait (member of the lurkerlounge). Do not (hesitate to) quote without permission.
mageofthesands,Jan 18 2005, 02:40 PM Wrote:Normally I'd scan the Basin, but you know the troubles it's having right now.  I got a friend to buy D2, and tonight is going to be his first game.  I recommended a zookeeper necro for him since he liked my hoards in Guild Wars and that's the build I started with.  I want to build a palladin to support his minions.  I figured I'd finally build that Zealot I've been meaning to try again since 1.04.  I was thinking to max Sacurfice, Zeal, Fana, and Holy Shield.  I'd put a point in a few other auras after the build is done so I could assist in other ways.  Is this really something I should be doing?  Should I be putting less points into Zeal and it's synergy?  Or should I try a Tesladin zealot?  Or even an Avenger with high level conviction?  This is going to be for softcore ladder.  I'm not rich by any means so I should have a build based around a piece of equipment.
[right][snapback]65799[/snapback][/right]

If your aim is to be his support Paladin . . . Consider two paths.

1. Physical support. Fanatacism damage bonus for your minions/party is cut in half. Concentration's radius expands with each skill point, and loses not bonus. For what it's worth, you still want high AR.

A Rogue Mercenary's Inner Sight, at high levels, really works down the DR of foes, which removes some of the AR burden.

His zoo can approach 90%+ to hit if one of you uses a Rogue Merc. Down side is that you have to rely on the AI to cast Inner Sight, and you may want more control than that.

Stack Might on top of Concentration, so all minions are always "on" with no damage reduction, (talking 5-700 % increasae in damage, depending on + skills luck) or go ahead and use Fanaticism. His minions will probably not notice the loss of damage. This brings you to Mercs. Might merc for one of you, the other either a Rogue or Blessed Aim. You don't want to miss with Vengeance, when you have to use it. The closer you come to ITD, the faster you will kill stuff.

2. Spells.

Completely change your focus. Vengeance and Conviction. His Spell Mages will benefit from conviction. IIRC, Conviciton and Lower Resist stack. Conviction's DR reduction will put you in high % to hit. One Might Merc, and one either Thorns for the horde so that IM is not a requirement. Or, Prayer to keep the minions juiced up . . . lots of choices. BA won't hurt, though it won't help as much.

I'd guess killing speed would probably be a bit less if you go for magic emphasis, but it would work. Drink a blue here and there, or sit for a few moments with Meditation to recharge you both. Plenty of fun to fear no Immunity.

My Two Lire.

Occhi
Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Men 'O War!
In War, the outcome is never final. --Carl von Clausewitz--
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
John 11:35 - consider why.
In Memory of Pete