PvP blocking speed
A question: as I was told by a player called Rudra[llh], it seems that characters block alot slower in PvP than they do in MvP. I did not know that so far. Is this actually 'old news', or is it a new discovery?

Update: I was wrong. The blocking is not slower in PvP. It is *always* slower than the values JG gives. For example: a mage without fast block cannot block a single lava maw's melee attack. Any explanations for this? Am I just missing something?
Moldran,Jan 29 2005, 01:15 PM Wrote:A question: as I was told by a player called Rudra[llh], it seems that characters block alot slower in PvP than they do in MvP. I did not know that so far. Is this actually 'old news', or is it a new discovery?

Update: I was wrong. The blocking is not slower in PvP. It is *always* slower than the values JG gives. For example: a mage without fast block cannot block a single lava maw's melee attack. Any explanations for this? Am I just missing something?
[right][snapback]66680[/snapback][/right]

It's been a long, long time since I worried about this kind of thing, but I believe the blocking time is double the value in Jarulf's Guide for all cases. I don't recall why that would be. Perhaps the game uses x frames to raise shield, and plays them in reverse to lower, rather than having a full animation?
Moldran,Jan 29 2005, 07:15 PM Wrote:A question: as I was told by a player called Rudra[llh], it seems that characters block alot slower in PvP than they do in MvP. I did not know that so far. Is this actually 'old news', or is it a new discovery?

[right][snapback]66680[/snapback][/right]

Is it specific to just Lava Maws or to any monster? Spitting dogs are a bit special in their ToHit and such and to be honest I never really looked at in such details as to understand it.
There are three types of people in the world. Those who can count and those who can't.
It does not seem to be specific to Lava Maws. At the least, it is the same in PvP. I will test it under more conditions when I find the time to, but so far, I think it is always the case.

If Rudra[llh]'s findings so far are correct, the blocking time is even more than double the value in JG. I verified this at least for PvP.
Moldran,Jan 31 2005, 06:16 PM Wrote:It does not seem to be specific to Lava Maws. At the least, it is the same in PvP. I will test it under more conditions when I find the time to, but so far, I think it is always the case.

If Rudra[llh]'s findings so far are correct, the blocking time is even more than double the value in JG. I verified this at least for PvP.
[right][snapback]66828[/snapback][/right]

Examples?
Aye, the real Blocking Speed seems to be 0.50s for the Rogue and 0.80 for the Sorc in all cases. I've tested that intensively in PvP and MvP.
The Lava Maw's Melee Attack Speed is given as 0.60s and the Sorc reacts with block-stun-block-stun to it's attack without Fast Block, but perfect Block Chance. He does not properly block any attack faster than 0.80s.
Rudra,Feb 1 2005, 08:51 PM Wrote:Aye, the real Blocking Speed seems to be 0.50s for the Rogue and 0.80 for the Sorc in all cases. I've tested that intensively in PvP and MvP.
The Lava Maw's Melee Attack Speed is given as 0.60s and the Sorc reacts with block-stun-block-stun to it's attack without Fast Block, but perfect Block Chance. He does not properly block any attack faster than 0.80s.
[right][snapback]66890[/snapback][/right]

I have not looked it now, nor thought much about it or the values, but remember that if it is not only the block time but the hit recovery time you have to take into account as well. If we look at attacking back, if someone puts you into hit recovery, your hit recovery PLUS the time before your attack hits (if I recall correctly 1 frame shorter than full attack time, right?) must be shorter than the one you fight you will be hit again before that. No? Could it be something similar you see here? Block is slightly different of course, but still. Again, just a quick thought, have not thought it through much.
There are three types of people in the world. Those who can count and those who can't.