Pally
I just started after a six month hiatus and found (duh!) that all my chars/mules and suchlike were expired. I am currently thinking about making a Fantacism/Zealot with a couple token points in Veangence.

My ideal setup is:

The Disciple set:
Amulet - Telling of Beads
Gloves - Laying of Hands
Boots - Rite of Passage
Armour - Dark Adherent
Belt - Crenendum

I chose that set because it gives decent bonuses and it leaves the weapon and shield slot open. And rings of course.

Weapon - Nords Tenderizer or Heavens Light
Shield - Not really sure here, maybe a unique pally shield
Rings - Two SoJs

I figure I'll max Zeal, Sacrifice, and Fant by my early 60s and I don't know what I'll do then. Maybe max Holy Shield?

Please give some suggestions as I'm working off of Arreat Summit Info. Particularly suggestions about a weapon.

EDIT: I have some friends who'll give me stuff to trade with so getting the items won't be "that" hard.
I have my own signature. Yay.
All thou I dont have much exp on speedy breed of pal here is a few points you may want to look at. One thing you will probly have problems with is Pysical Immunes. A few points in Vengance should do the trick. You have a choice with holy shield. I would sudjest no less than 10 or 11. You get minimal gains in blocking, ie 4 block for 9 points, but you will about dble your defence (170% to 310%) and if you wanted to go that route, Defiance will give you +15% Defense Per Level. Here is a couple ideas on gear. For your armor you could use Guardian Angel (Exceptional Templar Coat) and Herald Of Zakarum (Gilded Shield)

Sirbub
"Never interrupt an enemy when he is making a mustake"
I totally forgot bout Physical Immunes. Thx guy.
Hi

To enhance Vengeance, and since you have points to spare, investing into Conviction would be good, around 5-8 points should be enough to lay down the smack :rolleyes:

good karma
Prophecy of Deimos
“The world doesn’t end with water, fire, or cold. I’ve divined the coming apocalypse. It ends with tentacles!”
Hi!

Here's what I used to use back in 1.10:

shield: Herald of Zakarum

weapon: Heaven's Light (socket this with whatever you need to get to the next breakpoint)

Holy Shield: lvl 20. It's definitely worth it. (Although I must say that I had Templar's Might as a plate - and with Veil of Steel and/or other high armor items, you get quite a bit defence)
Vengeance: lvl 20. I'd probably not rebuild him this way - very mana intensive.
Fanaticism: lvl 20. Well - it's my main aura...
Zeal: lvl 11. I was on my way to max this one (stopped at lvl 88).
Thorns: lvl 11. This is a rudiment of his experimental period (pre-1.06), but still useful sometimes.
Holy Freeze: lvl 7. Also a rudiment, and useful sometimes, too.
Redemption: lvl 1. A real one-point-wonder to get your mana back.
Salvation: lvl 1. Just in case ;) . Although I wouldn't do it again.
Prerequisities: lvl 1. Well...

I could also imagine you dropping a point in conviction. That would help against PIs, and wouldn't let you become an avenger at once... B) . What I did against PIs was using my maxed vengeance until my mana was out, then redemption, vengeance, redemption. When there were no corpses left, I had to take a potion to keep up my vengeance. If you have enough elemental damage from your equipment (200-400 should be sufficient), don't hesitate to zeal them to death. It's much more mana-extensive.

Greetings, Fragbait
Quote:You cannot pass... I am a servant of the Secret Fire, wielder of the Flame of Anor. The Dark Flame will not avail you, Flame of Udun. Go back to the shadow. You shall not pass.
- Gandalf, speaking to the Balrog

Quote:Empty your mind. Be formless, shapeless, like water. Now you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle. You put it in a teapot, it becomes the teapot. Now water can flow, or it can crash! Be water, my friend...
- Bruce Lee

Quote: There's an old Internet adage which simply states that the first person to resort to personal attacks in an online argument is the loser. Don't be one.
- excerpt from the forum rules

Post content property of Fragbait (member of the lurkerlounge). Do not (hesitate to) quote without permission.
I'll try out the redemption technique. That sounds like it'll work like a charm.
I tend to use a shaeled baranars star for my zealots. The elemental damage is usually enought to handle immunes.

full gear of my last zealot

vampire gaze
maras
baranars star
guardian angel
herald of zakarum
Dracul's Grasp
Nosferatu's Coil
Gore Riders
carrion wind
raven frost

he is at level 85 at the moment

Hope this helps

"When tempest-tossed, embrace Chaos"
- The Book of Counted Sorrows
hi (my first post here),
just want to tell u what pala im using (and getting feedback what you think about the concept):

lvl 20 holy shock
lvl 20 lightning resist aura
lvl 20 salvation
lvl 15 avenge (will get maxed out next)
lvl 1 holy shield

merc: defiance (perhaps a mistake, but i like him:), equiped with kelpie snare etc

i chose this bulid because HS and Avenge share strong synergies
and because i like to kill my enemys precisely
(situation:
a group of monsters with a unique approach. the unique is fire ench/ extra strong, meaning (on hell), whe he dies and you are near, you die too (havent tested that yet, but when i got once hit by a fire ench at nightmare i lost 950 life at 90 % fire resistance.)
your merc is able to kill the unique alone (if he isnt, you are too weak for hell),
but the unique and the minions will be able to beef your merc fast.
so you will have to kill the minions before you can let the merc handle the unique.
when using zeal, its far too easy to accidently kill of the unique)

furthermore, against a avenger, there are no imunities.

i entered hell at 78,
i wear zaka, harle, guardian angel, heavens light (i think), ravenfrost, dwarfenstar,
some ik stuff. i soceted three rainbow lightning into my stuff.

my dmg is 2-13k, mostly lightning.

i seem to be able to kill alone, even if i have to use salvation as my main aura, because my resis are far too low.
i hope to change that with shoes/ gloves/ ring/ amu

the char has a problem with hordes(anyone alone and not lightning imune goes down with the first strike), minicreeps alas are easily killed by the aura´s emissions (1-1500).
Double post <_<
And you may call it righteousness
When civility survives,
But I've had dinner with the Devil and
I know nice from right.

From Dinner with the Devil, by Big Rude Jake

phaedi,Feb 10 2005, 04:12 AM Wrote:the unique is fire ench/ extra strong, meaning (on hell), whe he dies and you are near, you die too (havent tested that yet, but when i got once hit by a fire ench at nightmare i lost 950 life at 90 % fire resistance.)
[right][snapback]67738[/snapback][/right]

Welcome to the Lurker Lounge. :)

That death explosion damage by Fire Enchanted Bosses has been nerfed in Hell. (There were a lot of complaints about insta-deaths from melee characters.) It is actually worse in NM than it is in Hell. I am not sure, but I suspect this 'fix' was Realm only.
And you may call it righteousness
When civility survives,
But I've had dinner with the Devil and
I know nice from right.

From Dinner with the Devil, by Big Rude Jake

ShadowHM,Feb 10 2005, 02:14 PM Wrote:Welcome to the Lurker Lounge.&nbsp; :)

That death explosion damage by Fire Enchanted Bosses has been nerfed in Hell.&nbsp; (There were a lot of complaints about insta-deaths from melee characters.)&nbsp; It is actually worse in NM than it is in Hell.&nbsp; I am not sure, but I suspect this 'fix' was Realm only.
[right][snapback]67747[/snapback][/right]

its nice to know, but you sure will understand that i wont be trying to prove it...
anyway, a lightning ench is a similar case: what do you want to have:
one hit, killed, or 6 hits and still around, when the beast is spamming charged bolts?
or IM, which does fairly neclectable dmg against a avenger while easily killing a zealot.
there is one more thing to this: if you really need zeal, you have it anyway.
one point in zeal means about 10 points with equipment. thats enough for speed...
phaedi,Feb 10 2005, 07:44 PM Wrote:or IM, which does fairly neclectable dmg against a avenger while easily killing a zealot.
one point in zeal means about 10 points with equipment. thats enough for speed...
[right][snapback]67782[/snapback][/right]

Considering the elemental damage of Vengeance is based on the physical damage of your weapon, and you need enough physical damage to leech mana decently anyway (unless you want to spend a lot of time running on empty mana-wise), I wouldn't count on that.

Nor would I count on a melee character having +9 or so to skills without godly gear. Melee fighters have far more important things to worry about than +skills - like getting the resists and other defensive mods neccessary for staying alive long enough to do your damage, whatever kind it may be.
Zingydex,Feb 12 2005, 12:49 AM Wrote:Considering the elemental damage of Vengeance is based on the physical damage of your weapon, and you need enough physical damage to leech mana decently anyway (unless you want to spend a lot of time running on empty mana-wise), I wouldn't count on that.&nbsp;

you do as a combined shockadin/avengadin about 1 /10 of your dmg physically.
this means as a absolute maximum! 300-500 dmg will be physical.
even with iron maiden, this does not kill in one hit.
in my expirience, 6-10% manaleech are enough to run long on vengeance.

Quote:Nor would I count on a melee character having +9 or so to skills without godly gear.&nbsp; Melee fighters have far more important things to worry about than +skills - like getting the resists and other defensive mods neccessary for staying alive long enough to do your damage, whatever kind it may be.
[right][snapback]67875[/snapback][/right]

well, i wear +11 and i didnt go for fighting abilities but for off aura as maintree, to
which i got 13 without wearing sojs ( bcause my resis are bad enough with better rings. i have to admit youve got a point here).
but a zaka alone gives +4 to fighting and, socketed with a diamond, +69 to all resi.
+ some amu or szepter, you will easily get your 5 points, which are absolutely enough, too.

i wont refer to my equipment as godly, that would mean to me a infinity (bermalberist) for my merc which would give him lvl 12 conviction...
or griffons eye as an helmet, which would boost my lightning dmg by another 2000
+resi absorb...
phaedi,Feb 12 2005, 02:24 PM Wrote:1 this means as a absolute maximum! 300-500 dmg will be physical.
even with iron maiden, this does not kill in one hit.
2 in my expirience, 6-10% manaleech are enough to run long on vengeance.
[right][snapback]67927[/snapback][/right]

1. Which version of the game are you playing? I know I've offed more than one barb by swinging for that much while IM'ed.

2. I know that range wasn't nearly enough to keep my last Avenger running, even with Meditation thrown in. And I had a much lower-level Vengeance then you're touting.
Zingydex,Feb 14 2005, 02:26 PM Wrote:1. Which version of the game are you playing?&nbsp; I know I've offed more than one barb by swinging for that much while IM'ed.

2. I know that range wasn't nearly enough to keep my last Avenger running, even with Meditation thrown in.&nbsp; And I had a much lower-level Vengeance then you're touting.
[right][snapback]68036[/snapback][/right]

i play 1.10.
well, you have to take smome things into account:
chiefly, barbs have a high "risk" of deadly strike ( methinks), due to their masteries. we could be talking about the numbers doubled.
second, there was a maximum! behind the numbers.
then, how much life had your barb, when you dealt less then 1k physikal?
i got 1300, when one hit IMed did 850 to me. which is still lots, but not deadly.

this is propably due to my aura, which gives me about 10k dmg on top of avenge.
as soon as i have to keep pounding on single targets for a long time, my mana drains, too. but not nearly fast enough that i couldnt keep up with the pots i find.
the question is perhaps, how much mana has your char? mine has about 350,
which is, without any leech, enough for about 25-30 hits (considered small regenaration rates).

i have 2 questions:

1: what means the word "touting" (sry, no native english speaker)

2: what do you people think about the avenger/shockadin combination?
phaedi,Feb 15 2005, 04:51 PM Wrote:1: what means the word "touting" (sry, no native english speaker)

2: what do you people think about the avenger/shockadin combination?
[right][snapback]68124[/snapback][/right]

No weapon mastery investment, hence part of the reason the char's damage was so low. It's been awhile, so I'm not sure how much life I had at the time - but it wasn't enough. The problem is the number of times the reflected damage was mutliplied - IIRC, a higher-level IM (such as that used by monsters in NM/hell) does more damage to you per swing.

What level did you reach to get 350 mana? I can't recall ever having a melee character with that big a blue ball prior to Battle Orders.

1. "Tout" means to sell or advertise.

2. If you can keep Vengeance going, go for it.
I've made many zealots, since I have great fun playing them. :) I tend to put points into conviction, often maxing it since sorcs, trappers, ele druids and sometimes ma sins are in the group. Puddles can make for a fast ride through worldstone keep, the chaos sanctuary, and other fun places. My last ladder pally used nords most of the time, and mine this ladder used it as well. I love its freeze target, and with puddles, against non cold immune pi's, it worked great. He had glimmershreds on weapon switch, and would use them to toss against oblivion knights and dolls. Also came in handy against cold immune pi's. I've tended to go with might mercs, but a holy freeze one works as well. If you give a might merc a weapon that slows target like a woestave, reapers toll, or kelpe snare, it makes life much easier. For a shield, you might consider doing a spirit pally shield-available around level 25, and one can get great resistances. Just my .02 worth.

edited for spleling :shuriken:
Comes a time when you're driftin'
Comes a time when you settle down

Neil Young
Zingydex,Feb 25 2005, 12:13 PM Wrote:1. "Tout" means to sell or advertise.
[right][snapback]69016[/snapback][/right]
Shoot, I'm native english and I've never heard that before. Now "wither shins" on the other hand...
What is the judicial system coming to when child molesters get 5 years and cottage cheese gets 30.
Zingydex,Feb 25 2005, 05:13 PM Wrote:What level did you reach to get 350 mana?&nbsp; I can't recall ever having a melee character with that big a blue ball prior to Battle Orders.

1. "Tout" means to sell or advertise.

2. If you can keep Vengeance going, go for it.
[right][snapback]69016[/snapback][/right]

i´m currently stuck at 82, i never invested a point in energy, but you will understand if i say "harlequins crest", won´t you?

recently, i switched my mercs weapon to insight and now i havent got any mana probs anymore. i cannot even reduce my blue using vengeance, i have to fastcast holy shield...

but i miss the totally stopped dead enemys of my kelpies days.

erm, withering means getting old an crumble and shins are the bones of the legs below your knees, are they not?
whathuh,Feb 25 2005, 10:32 PM Wrote:Shoot, I'm native english and I've never heard that before.&nbsp; Now "wither shins" on the other hand...
[right][snapback]69070[/snapback][/right]

Heh. I assumed that you meant "widdershins"; I didn't know "withershins" was used as an alternative form of it ;-)
You don't know what you're talking about.