Price and qlvl cap changes
What I know about version 1.09 from Jarulf's Guide:

Griswold:
- Qlvl cap of 30
- Price cap of 140 000

Wirt:
- Qlvl cap of 60 (since there are no greater)
- Price cap of 135 000 (after the 150% modifier)

Dungeons:
- Qlvl cap of 34 (from a unique monster), 30 from non-monster.
- JG states that this has always been so.

Have the vendor caps always been like this or has Blizzard changed them in any patch, like stated in this AB thread?
"My doctor says that I have a malformed public-duty gland and a natural deficiency in moral fibre, and that I am therefore excused from saving Universes."
-- Ford Prefect
Yogi_Baar,Feb 7 2005, 11:39 AM Wrote:What I know about version 1.09 from Jarulf's Guide:

Griswold:
- Qlvl cap of 30
- Price cap of 140 000

Wirt:
- Qlvl cap of 60 (since there are no greater)
- Price cap of 135 000 (after the 150% modifier)

Dungeons:
- Qlvl cap of 34 (from a unique monster), 30 from non-monster.
- JG states that this has always been so.

Have the vendor caps always been like this or has Blizzard changed them in any patch, like stated in this AB thread?
[right][snapback]67440[/snapback][/right]

They should always have existed. I made a very quick check (search) for those values in the code and although the layout was quite different in 1.00, they exist there in the same code structure as in 1.07 (which I know for sure are those caps). Admitedly I did not look at the code close enough to be 100% sure it is the price cap but I would say it is and that the caps has always been the same since 1.00 (no idea of beta).

EDIT: Also, I have a small memory of checking out item generation for such thing such as price caps, level caps and such in version 1.00 (and all early versions pre my guide) specifically to rule out odd item generation in early versions allowing for, for example, a GPOW. I think others looked too. The conclusion was that there had never been any differences in any version that allowed any item that was not allowed by a later version of the game.
There are three types of people in the world. Those who can count and those who can't.
Yogi_Baar,Feb 7 2005, 02:39 AM Wrote:Have the vendor caps always been like this or has Blizzard changed them in any patch?
[right][snapback]67440[/snapback][/right]

There were quite a few claims at the time that the original version of Diablo dropped items that could not be obtained in later patches -- all with absolutely zero substantiation. I defer to Jarulf on the code reading, and everything else, but at one time I reinstalled the original version of Diablo and went on a ridiculous number of Sir Gorash runs to see if he could drop GPOWs or anything else, with no success. If you have an original disk, you can check this, and the vendor inventories, yourself. IMO, it is certain that there were no changes in the drop rules, and the orginal version generated exactly the same items as the later versions, with the same limits on the dungeon drop/Griswold qlvls and Wirt's price cap.
Thecla,Feb 8 2005, 10:32 AM Wrote:There were quite a few claims at the time that  the original version of Diablo dropped items that could not be obtained in later patches -- all with absolutely zero substantiation. I defer to Jarulf on the code reading, and everything else, but at one time I reinstalled the original version of Diablo and went on a ridiculous number of Sir Gorash runs to see if he could drop GPOWs or anything else, with no success. If you have an original disk, you can check this, and the vendor inventories, yourself. IMO, it is certain that there were no changes in the drop rules, and the orginal version generated exactly the same items as the later versions, with the same limits on the dungeon drop/Griswold qlvls and Wirt's price cap.
[right][snapback]67530[/snapback][/right]

Yes, when reading this post my memory actually cleared a bit and I remember the debate, and also that I specifically looked at 1.00 to see if there were any differences in item generation to allow such items considered "not possible" and it turned out as you said, 1.00 used the exact same mechanism, caps and so on for item generation.
There are three types of people in the world. Those who can count and those who can't.