Teleport - What's the Deal?
Much to my surprise, thottbot tells me that a (I presume human) Mage may acquire a skill at lv 20 called Teleport: Stormwind. I've never been offered this by a mage trainer. So clearly I'm missing a trick. What is that trick please?

At 27 silver to learn the skill and with the need for a Rune of Teleportation, which seems to run another 9-10 silver per cast, is this worth the cost IYO? Seems like it could save some serious time in certain situations and time is money.

Final question is whether or not it has any application in combat?

Anything else I ought to know about this elusive little trick that I suppose I ought to put up my sleeve?
[Image: Sabra%20gold%20copy.jpg]

I blame Tal.

Sabramage Authenticated!
Quote:Much to my surprise, thottbot tells me that a (I presume human) Mage may acquire a skill at lv 20 called Teleport: Stormwind. I've never been offered this by a mage trainer. So clearly I'm missing a trick. What is that trick please?
Talk to a portal trainer near the mage trainers in any capitol city, except in Darnassus, since there are no mage trainers there. The Darnassus portal trainer is in the Temple of the Moon with the priest trainers.

Quote:At 27 silver to learn the skill and with the need for a Rune of Teleportation, which seems to run another 9-10 silver per cast, is this worth the cost IYO? Seems like it could save some serious time in certain situations and time is money.
When I first learned Teleport, I never used it since it was cheaper and generally didn't take too long just to fly back to a capitol city. By the time you're in your 30s, 9 silver isn't that much, and it can save you quite a bit of time. For some combinations of flight paths, it's actually cheaper to burn a Rune of Teleportation than to take the multiple flights required. And, of course, it's much faster.

Trust me, in 10 levels, you'll love Teleport. As gimpy as my mage seems sometimes, I'm always glad that I have a very fast means of transportation. And being able to make portals at 40 and above is really nice for helping out your friend or parties.

Quote:Final question is whether or not it has any application in combat?
It can't be used in combat, so no, not really.

Quote:Anything else I ought to know about this elusive little trick that I suppose I ought to put up my sleeve?
It has a 10-second cast time, but a negligible mana cost. You can't learn to teleport to Darnassus/Thunder Bluff until level 30 (portal to Darnassus/Thunder Bluff at 50).
Well I'll be picking this up at my first opportunity. Thanks so much.
[Image: Sabra%20gold%20copy.jpg]

I blame Tal.

Sabramage Authenticated!
Just a quick note, the Darnassus teleport/portal requires levels 30/50 instead of 20/40. I can understand why, given the history of the Night Elves, but it was a little annoying when I turned 20 in Darkshore and the first place I went to was Darnassus :)
Trade yourself in for the perfect one. No one needs to know that you feel you've been ruined!
To me it seems extremely worth it. I know if I had a Teleport: Orgrimmar spell I could set my hearthstone to Kargath and be extremely happy for the rest of my days.
Runes of teleportation? Was this implemented after the Us beta or something? I can't recall teleporting costing anything at all?
Former www.diablo2.com webmaster.

When in deadly danger,
When beset by doubt,
Run in little circles,
Wave your arms and shout.
Crusader,Feb 11 2005, 10:05 PM Wrote:Runes of teleportation? Was this implemented after the Us beta or something?  I can't recall teleporting costing anything at all?
[right][snapback]67885[/snapback][/right]

The reagents for many spells including the ones for the mage teleports was put into the game about week prior to the start of the open stress test of the beta.
Boutros,Feb 4 2005, 05:38 PM Wrote:To me it seems extremely worth it. I know if I had a Teleport: Orgrimmar spell I could set my hearthstone to Kargath and be extremely happy for the rest of my days.

If you're teleporting to Orgrimmar to sell things in the auction house, consider making a dummy character who sits in Orgrimmar. Then, your main character can mail items to be sold at the auction house to the dummy character using the mailbox in Kargath.
MongoJerry,Feb 13 2005, 02:58 PM Wrote:If you're teleporting to Orgrimmar to sell things in the auction house, consider making a dummy character who sits in Orgrimmar.  Then, your main character can mail items to be sold at the auction house to the dummy character using the mailbox in Kargath.
[right][snapback]67998[/snapback][/right]

I don't consider it worth the effort. It takes an hour for items to be mailed to the alt, and you have to keep the alt supplied with enough gold to cover auction fees, and then you have to send that gold back to your main to be able to actually use it. I generally just try to stay on one continent at a time, whenever possible. I find that Thunder Bluff is the best homepoint for Kalimdor; when the other linked AHs are introduced, I'll never again set foot in OG. TB is prettier, has better music, and has a MUCH better layout (for smiths, anyway :) )
ArrayPaladins were not meant to sit in the back of the raid staring at health bars all day, spamming heals and listening to eight different classes whine about buffs.[/quote]
The original Heavy Metal Cow™. USDA inspected, FDA approved.
MongoJerry,Feb 13 2005, 12:58 PM Wrote:If you're teleporting to Orgrimmar to sell things in the auction house, consider making a dummy character who sits in Orgrimmar.  Then, your main character can mail items to be sold at the auction house to the dummy character using the mailbox in Kargath.
I have to vouch for the usefulness of having an AH mule. In the end, it's a lot less work than making long trips back to an AH city, then returning to where I need to grind or quest. The hour wait for mail isn't a problem if you just log on your mule once every few days. Unless you need money immediately, you can just let the money pile up on the mule over time until one of your mains needs it. I find the saved inventory space on my mains to be very beneficial. This tactic is especially helpful for my night elf character questing over on Kalimdor.

I'm not going to hold my breath on linked auction houses -- or any major game improvements at this rate.
Artega,Feb 13 2005, 03:45 PM Wrote:I don't consider it worth the effort.  It takes an hour for items to be mailed to the alt, and you have to keep the alt supplied with enough gold to cover auction fees, and then you have to send that gold back to your main to be able to actually use it.  I generally just try to stay on one continent at a time, whenever possible.  I find that Thunder Bluff is the best homepoint for Kalimdor; when the other linked AHs are introduced, I'll never again set foot in OG.  TB is prettier, has better music, and has a MUCH better layout (for smiths, anyway :) )

But think of all the travel time you save. It's like having the Auction House as close as any mailbox. It saves so much time so that you can go out an adventure and it also means it's a lot easier and faster to clear out inventory so that you don't end up having to throw out so much stuff. Then, at the end of your play session, you can log on to your mule, take care of any AH business, and log off. Oh, and if your main character really needs the money, there's no wait time on cash mail deliveries.
MongoJerry,Feb 13 2005, 09:03 PM Wrote:But think of all the travel time you save.  It's like having the Auction House as close as any mailbox.  It saves so much time so that you can go out an adventure and it also means it's a lot easier and faster to clear out inventory so that you don't end up having to throw out so much stuff.  Then, at the end of your play session, you can log on to your mule, take care of any AH business, and log off.  Oh, and if your main character really needs the money, there's no wait time on cash mail deliveries.
[right][snapback]68017[/snapback][/right]

That's interesting...so you're saying objects have to be shipped, which takes time, but money can be wired, which is quick..... :shuriken:
--Mav
Mavfin,Feb 18 2005, 01:03 PM Wrote:That's interesting...so you're saying objects have to be shipped, which takes time, but money can be wired, which is quick..... :shuriken:
[right][snapback]68380[/snapback][/right]

Yes that is the way that the mail system works. I have been using this method since the beta to redistribute items and materials to my various characters depending on who uses what.