File fiddling on D2
Im an old hand at D2 who just decided to rejoin battlenet.

Last time, I recall, by copying music.mpq from the playdisk, it was a good move as the disk wasnt needed after starting play.

1) With LOD (which Ive just got recently), which files should I copy over to the D2 folder?

2) what do I do again to get rid of duriel's sound as you enter his tomb? (Im hardcore, I recall if you didnt do this move, duriels voice greeting would cause lag and kill you)

3) any other file moves I should do?

4) is there a no-cd hack avail?

thanks a great deal for your help

my old D2 hardcore barb was 'callofthewild'
Copy ALL the .dll files from the CD to your installation directory ... click "no" for each time it pops up asking if you want to overwrite a file...

Can't get rid of duriel's voice ... can do what I just mentioned to put it on your hard drive so that it plays much much faster...

See #1.

Hacks are a bad thing ... Hacks are always a bad thing ... That having been said, there are good programs out there called Virtual CD-ROM drives. Several of the better ones are Alcohol 120% and Deamon Tools. These can allow you to mount an ISO of your LoD disk as an image file on your hard drive ... essentially giving you a 150x cd-rom drive that never has to spin up. Use of the proper security emulation is neccessary, with D2/LoD (Securom version 4.x, specifically).

[nit] Technically, programs that let you play without the CD fall into the category of cracks, not hacks. [/nit]

Duriel death via lag often functions much the same way as most stair traps do - the automatic slowdown when you enter a new area gives the monsters a head start in doing whatever they have planned. Best advice I can give is have a throwaway minion/merc handy to absorb the initial charge.

I believe there actually are gimmicks you can add to the startup process to make the game run without sound effects and/or music, but you'd need someone more familiar with that sort of thing to get it to work.