--Pete
Sad news. :( Mend, please mend my friend.

Pete and I don't always agree, but he is one of the whetstones in my life that helps to keep me sharp.
”There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

[Image: yVR5oE.png][Image: VKQ0KLG.png]

Van Damned,Feb 28 2005, 12:00 AM Wrote:he and I "met" in 1997 having a flame war over this very issue. Be nice!, I said, they know not what they do; forget it, he said, stupidity is stupidity is stupidity and I [Pete] won't stand for it. We continued to disagree about this, but over the years I started to agree with him[right][snapback]69245[/snapback][/right]

*grins* Oddly enough, I 'met' him the same way. He was castigating one rather pompous post, and I pm'd him to suggest that he could have been a bit less heavy-handed and still got the message across. He disagreed (most politely, to my surprise). I have been forced into the same position as you - dammit, he was right. ;)

Unfortunately my style will never, I fear, come up to his standard. We need the old Pete back. May it be sooner rather than later.
And you may call it righteousness
When civility survives,
But I've had dinner with the Devil and
I know nice from right.

From Dinner with the Devil, by Big Rude Jake

I've spent much more time lurking about this place than I ever have posting, but I've been lurking here for quite a while. Pete's posts have always been a must read in my daily lounge surfing. The place truly will not be the same until he is back.

Best wishes for a speedy recovery Pete. Your insight and bluntness have brightened many a day for me.

-DarkCrown

I hadn't even checked the Lounge for a few months...not a pleasant surprise to come back too.

Pete, get well!

Tibbs

(and here I'd thought I already made my last post as "Virgil Tibbs." heh)
Hey, get well soon, and all my best wishes. Sent mail too! :)
There are three types of people in the world. Those who can count and those who can't.
Sad to hear...
Sorry for the late response. I was trying to think of something witty to say, but Pete knows that I am witless :P
LemmingofGlory,Feb 27 2005, 02:10 PM Wrote:As soon as Pete gets better, we'll have a "Did prayer help Pete weather his hospital visit?" thread ready and waiting for him.

-Lemmy
[right][snapback]69211[/snapback][/right]

Worm Can Opening 101. Three hours of college credit.

Was this an elective or a course requirement? :D

Occhi
Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Men 'O War!
In War, the outcome is never final. --Carl von Clausewitz--
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
John 11:35 - consider why.
In Memory of Pete
Occhidiangela,Mar 3 2005, 10:46 AM Wrote:Worm Can Opening 101.  Three hours of college credit.

Was this an elective or a course requirement?  :D

Occhi
[right][snapback]69638[/snapback][/right]
[Image: canoworms.jpg]

It is a state required class, actually. ;)
get well soon. and kick some doctor butt while you're there.
Pete,Feb 25 2005, 01:52 AM Wrote:Hello Lurkers,

This is actually -Magi- posting for --Pete.

[right][snapback]68976[/snapback][/right]

-Magi- ?? Any public update?? Either about him or about you??

Now for the joke:

Maybe he'll get better if, rather than refer to him as "--Pete", you call him "++Pete++" ...

just a little incremental C humor... isn't that up his alley?

-Van
Where have you gone, Joe DiMaggio
Van Damned,Mar 30 2005, 09:53 PM Wrote:-Magi- ?? Any public update?? Either about him or about you??

Now for the joke:

Maybe he'll get better if, rather than refer to him as "--Pete", you call him "++Pete++" ...

just a little incremental C humor... isn't that up his alley?

-Van
Where have you gone, Joe DiMaggio
[right][snapback]72550[/snapback][/right]

Last note from Magi is that things are better.

Occhi
Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Men 'O War!
In War, the outcome is never final. --Carl von Clausewitz--
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
John 11:35 - consider why.
In Memory of Pete
Any updates?
I may be dead, but I'm not old (source: see lavcat)

The gloves come off, I'm playing hardball. It's fourth and 15 and you're looking at a full-court press. (Frank Drebin in The Naked Gun)

Some people in forums do the next best thing to listening to themselves talk, writing and reading what they write (source, my brother)
Hello to all (and sundry -- you know who you are :) ),

Well, I'm back, more or less. As you can tell, Magi's estimate of a month was a bit on the low side ;)

Thank you all for the good thoughts expressed in these posts and in the e-mails you've sent. They cheered me up at a time I really needed it.

I'm about six months behind in the RW (including building a couple of machines so that Magi and I can play WoW), so I plan to mostly lurk in the near future. Of course, many of you know the buttons to push to get me out of lurk mode :)

--Pete

How big was the aquarium in Noah's ark?

Pete,Aug 1 2005, 04:02 PM Wrote:Hello to all (and sundry -- you know who you are :) ),

Well, I'm back, more or less.  As you can tell, Magi's estimate of a month was a bit on the low side ;)

Thank you all for the good thoughts expressed in these posts and in the e-mails you've sent.  They cheered me up at a time I really needed it.

I'm about six months behind in the RW (including building a couple of machines so that Magi and I can play WoW), so I plan to mostly lurk in the near future.  Of course, many of you know the buttons to push to get me out of lurk mode :)

--Pete
[right][snapback]84770[/snapback][/right]

Welcome back. =)
Pete,Aug 1 2005, 03:02 PM Wrote:Hello to all (and sundry -- you know who you are :) ),

Well, I'm back, more or less.  As you can tell, Magi's estimate of a month was a bit on the low side ;)

Good to have our ol'curmudgeon back again. :w00t:
~Not all who wander are lost...~
Pete,Aug 1 2005, 04:02 PM Wrote:Well, I'm back, more or less.  As you can tell, Magi's estimate of a month was a bit on the low side ;)

Glad to hear it, welcome back!
Trade yourself in for the perfect one. No one needs to know that you feel you've been ruined!
Glad to see you're still very much alive and kickin'. :)
And the days are not full enough
And the nights are not full enough
And life slips by like a field mouse
____________.Not shaking the grass.
-- Ezra Pound, "And the days are not full enough"
Pete! You have missed some very interesting threads....you have some catching up to do! I am glad that you are doing better, and hope to see your posts more often!

Yrrek
WWBBD?
Pete,Aug 1 2005, 03:02 PM Wrote:--Pete

Best post ever. :)
At first I thought, "Mind control satellites? No way!" But now I can't remember how we lived without them.
------
WoW PC's of significance
Vaimadarsa Pavis Hykim Jakaleel Odayla Odayla
Welcome back man. Glad to hear you pulled through just fine.
Roland *The Gunslinger*