Confessions of a WoW addict
It is no secret that I am hopelessly addicted to WoW, even with the warts and frustrations found on close examination. I find myself relating the real world to things I do in the game, both in my daily routine and nightly dreams. I'll out myself a little further with a couple examples and then pose my question.

First, I was listening to the radio today when a commercial came on. The premise was a call-in help desk at a local yard equipment seller.

Caller: "My neighbors lawn ornaments are creeping over into my yard."
Helpdesk: "Ah yes, gnome encroachment. You need our 5 horsepower 16 blade wood chipper."
Caller: "Yes, thank you. There's gnome sawdust everywhere."

My immediate thought? "Gnome persecution! Gnomes of Azeroth unite!"

Second, I often get together with family for cards and chat. Little sisters are little sisters no matter what the age and can still do and say those things that make a big brother cringe. I have been known to mimic my mage's little move for forming and throwing his frostbolt. She knows what I am doing and I get the eye roll that says better than words, "You're pathetic." :blush:

Now, my question. Does anyone else have any examples of how WoW spills over into their interaction with and observance of RealLife™ or am I destined to be King of Pathetic Hill?
Lochnar[ITB]
Freshman Diablo

[Image: jsoho8.png][Image: 10gmtrs.png]

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
"You don't know how strong you can be until strong is the only option."
"Think deeply, speak gently, love much, laugh loudly, give freely, be kind."
"Talk, Laugh, Love."
As per usual my terrible memory precludes me from citing specific examples, but the weirdest result of WoW has actually been the fact that my roommate has started referring to WoW terminology when discussing things. He does not actually have an account but he occasionally plays on my account and watches me play on occasions.

It seems pretty odd to me that despite my obsession and ridiculous hours logged in this game he is the one that seems to be most affected by it outside of the game. Although I must admit that I generally pass the time driving to and from work by ruminating on build stratgies and lining up quests for my characters.

- mjdoom

Edit: One paragraph looked terrible.
Stormrage:
Flyndar (60) - Dwarf Priest - Tailoring (300), Enchanting (300)
Minimagi (60) - Gnome Mage - Herbalism (300), Engineering (301)
Galreth (60) - Human Warrior - Blacksmithing (300), Alchemy (300); Critical Mass by name, Lurker in spirit
ArynWindborn (19) - Human Paladin - Mining/Engineering (121)
So... for me it's the language. I didn't play EQ or any of the MMORPGs out there before WoW (unless you count D/D2). I'm finding "aggro", "mob", "threat", "hate", and similar terms completely redefined in my vocabulary and they're coming out fairly regularly.

At this point, my language is getting so completely localized by work, gaming, 40K, etc. that I fear I shall soon come with subtitles. :o
Umm... the one that comes to mind first is when my brother called and I picked up the phone and said "Hey Flyn" his response "You know, my real name isn't Flyndar." :blush: I'm sure there are plenty of others, besides the withdrawal and constant cravings to log on even before doing essentials like completing a project due the next day.

Edit: Fixed grammatical error
Currently enjoying liberating the land of Sanctuary

[Image: arethor.jpg]
Stormrage - US (Inactive)
I was taking a package of bacon out of the fridge and one of the corners slightly caught underneath a metal bar that makes up the shelves. When it popped free, the noise sounded exactly like a female gnome getting hit.
Intolerant monkey.
Treesh,Mar 4 2005, 10:55 AM Wrote:I was taking a package of bacon out of the fridge and one of the corners slightly caught underneath a metal bar that makes up the shelves.  When it popped free, the noise sounded exactly like a female gnome getting hit.
[right][snapback]69739[/snapback][/right]
You mean boar jerky? Right? :)
”There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

[Image: yVR5oE.png][Image: VKQ0KLG.png]

I work with a web based ticketing system that tracks all the issues that users have submitted or told me about. I'm starting to think of it as my quest log (since it kind looks like it) and I was wishing dearly for a limit of just 20 items the other day when I was looking at 45 of them...
---
It's all just zeroes and ones and duct tape in the end.
kandrathe,Mar 4 2005, 11:12 AM Wrote:You mean boar jerky?  Right?  :)
[right][snapback]69748[/snapback][/right]
Jerky doesn't go in the fridge! That just gets eaten right here, right now. ;) Well, except for the tough jerky. That just gets sold back. ;) :D
Intolerant monkey.
One company I work for requires all documentation to be done in a very specific regimented way in order to meet government requirements. I had a dream last night that they made me reconfigure my WoW hotbars in order to comply with company policy about where spells should be placed, etc.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQtmlWbJ-1vgb3aJmW4DJ7...NntmKgW8Cp]
I have often seen a kind of weed growing by the side of the road that looks a heck of a lot like Silverleaf! I have yet - however - to pull over and pick it.

For years I've referred to feeling tired as having low HPs.

My boss's boys play WoW and asked for my char info. I wrote it all out with servers, names, lvs, trades, etc, and gave it to my boss. She said, "What is this? A foreigh language?" :)

Maybe I'll go sell my cats in Gadgetzan!
[Image: Sabra%20gold%20copy.jpg]

I blame Tal.

Sabramage Authenticated!
I commonly tell undead /silly jokes
Level 60 UD Mage - Spirestone
Level 20 Troll Rogue - Spirestone
LochnarITB,Mar 3 2005, 05:09 PM Wrote:Little sisters are little sisters no matter what the age and can still do and say those things that make a big brother cringe.  I have been known to mimic my mage's little move for forming and throwing his frostbolt. 
[right][snapback]69676[/snapback][/right]

This type of behavior is completely normal...

... for an eight year old. :shuriken:
A friend sent me this link thinking "I" play too much WOW. :)

You need this shirt.

”There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

kandrathe,Mar 24 2005, 11:41 AM Wrote:A friend sent me this link thinking "I" play too much WOW.  :)

You need this shirt.
[right][snapback]71766[/snapback][/right]
Hmm, I've never owned a t-shirt with a slogan/graphic on it, but this might have to be the first. :blush:
Lochnar[ITB]
Freshman Diablo

[Image: jsoho8.png][Image: 10gmtrs.png]

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
"You don't know how strong you can be until strong is the only option."
"Think deeply, speak gently, love much, laugh loudly, give freely, be kind."
"Talk, Laugh, Love."
LochnarITB,Mar 24 2005, 07:04 PM Wrote:Hmm, I've never owned a t-shirt with a slogan/graphic on it, but this might have to be the first.  :blush:
[right][snapback]71800[/snapback][/right]
You can save it for those special all nighters in instance. :)