News from the test server
The test server was up and fairly stable yesterday. I spent a few hours playing with my druid. Here are a few random observations (in no particular order). Keep in mind that all of this is from memory as I didn't take any notes.

In the time I was on I managed to get a few quests. Most led either to Silithius or Dire Maul. Darnassus and Feathermoon Stronghold are the places to get these. I spent a little time in Silithius and then went with a group to Dire Maul. The server went down an hour into Dire Maul, and I went back to my normal server.

So what did I see? The new interface is much like CTMod. Two extra hotbars along the bottom, which can be hotkeyed, and two bars to the right, rather than one left and one right like CTMod. The quest log allows you to shift-click collection quests to add them to a reminder window near the minimap which shows how many of each item you still need to get. You can lock the hotbar buttons. Each buff has a timer, showing how long until it expires. Tab targetting now seems to function correctly.

Silithius (am I spelling this correctly?) has horde and alliance flight paths near the entrance from Un'Goro. The alliance path goes to Gadgetzan. The mobs are itemized, though I mostly saw silver drops. There is a barrier stretching across the entire map from east to west about halfway down the zone. I don't know if this was there before, I'd never spent much time in this region. There is a large gong near the barrier which I assume provides access through some quest.

The meeting stone for Dire Maul is west of the entrance. Only the party leader can click the stone to look for more members. The stones appear to function. What I saw of the instance had ogres, treants and the flower and plant mobs from Un'Goro and Maraudon. There were also satyrs. Lots of herb drops here, in particular wildvine seemed to drop fairly often. This should make leatherworkers happy. The mobs were level 56 and 57. None of what I saw was much challenge for a party of level 60 players. We found at least 3 seperate entrances into the instance, which allow you to bypass the earlier mobs. One entrance requires the Crescent key, which we didn't get far enough to locate.

I was most concerned with druid changes, so I can tell you a little about that. I used DamageWatch to get the DPS numbers I give. This add-on keeps track of how long you are in each battle, how much damage you did in that encounter, and divides to give you DPS. I like this approach, and I understand what it's telling me.

The new druid skills seem well done. Barkskin reduces physical damage by 20% for 15 secs, while slowing casting and attack speed. Spells can't be interrupted by damage taken. This seems to me to be the druid's fade. It gives the tank a chance to come get aggro off the healer. I didn't have a chance to see if channeled spells work well with Barkskin.

The new bear skill allows you to get 20 life for each rage. It's possible to dump a full rage bar with this and get 2000 life. This will be very good for druid tanks. The conversion happens over 10 secs if I recall correctly.

The biggest change is cat damage. The new cat skill gives the druid a direct damage finishing move, and a decent place to dump combo points. It also dumps any extra energy into damage (much like execute for the Warrior). I had a 4 point crit for above 900. I'm quite sure that 5 point 1300 crits will be possible. For fights I started stealthed from behind I was getting at least 100 DPS, and I had several fights where I got 170-200 DPS. This is a very big improvement. My current cat is lucky to get 100 DPS in any fight, now matter how it starts. My cat skills were rusty from disuse; a better button masher might be able to get better numbers. With the group in Dire Maul I spent some time in cat form and was getting at least 80 DPS in every fight.

The Wildheart shoulders have a new, and impressive, graphic. I was styling. :)

I'd be happy to try to answer any questions people might have. I can't think of anything else to tell you all at the moment.

-DC
Very good information, thanks.

Find anything new for the professions?
DarkCrown,Mar 14 2005, 10:03 AM Wrote:Silithius (am I spelling this correctly?) has horde and alliance flight paths near the entrance from Un'Goro. The alliance path goes to Gadgetzan. The mobs are itemized, though I mostly saw silver drops. There is a barrier stretching across the entire map from east to west about halfway down the zone. I don't know if this was there before, I'd never spent much time in this region. There is a large gong near the barrier which I assume provides access through some quest.

The barrier's been there all along. Blizzard has said that there will be some zones that will open up only on the completion of a big epic quest. That is, one character or group might complete the quest, an announcement somehow goes over the system (mechanism to be determined), and all players of that faction can then go into the zone for some time (one Blizzard post mentioned a few days). It was my impression that the southern half of Silithus was reserved to be one of those zones. I haven't heard of thise mechanism being implemented in this patch (I'm sure there would have been some announcement or patch note about it), so it wouldn't surprise me to find that the southern half of Silithus is still not-yet-implemented.

Quote:The meeting stone for Dire Maul is west of the entrance. Only the party leader can click the stone to look for more members. The stones appear to function. What I saw of the instance had ogres, treants and the flower and plant mobs from Un'Goro and Maraudon. There were also satyrs. Lots of herb drops here, in particular wildvine seemed to drop fairly often. This should make leatherworkers happy. The mobs were level 56 and 57. None of what I saw was much challenge for a party of level 60 players. We found at least 3 seperate entrances into the instance, which  allow you to bypass the earlier mobs. One entrance requires the Crescent key, which we didn't get far enough to locate.

I'd be interested to find out how the meeting stones work. So, the party leader actually picks characters out of those who register at the zone? That sounds better than the automated system that had been described before. I wish there was an easy way to register at several meeting stones without flying all over the world. Most high level players aren't picky about whether they go into UBRS, Stratholme, Scholomance, or now Dire Maul.

Thanks for the information. Keep it coming!
I didn't learn anything new about professions. Sorry I can't help you there.

The meeting stones (from what I saw) are automated, and require you to be present to activate them. We had a four member party and were waiting for another guildmate to log on. While we waited we wandered over to the meeting stone. I was the party leader and got the 'gear' icon when I hovered over the stone. The other members couldn't activate the stone. When I right-clicked we got a message saying our party had been queued. There was no other interface, or list of waiting players.

Some time later, and quite a ways from the stone, the stone added a fifth member to our group. This person dropped from the group as soon as they joined.

-DC
I didn't spend all that much time on the test server.

I doubt meeting stones won't be replacing a good guild or dilligent use of /who to find appropriate classes any time soon. I clicked on the stone without a group and got added to a rogue/hunter existing combo. Minutes passes, rogue dropped, new rogue got added, minutes passed, 2nd warrior got added. Rogue left then got added right back - he explained that 2 priests had just clicked the stone and he was hoping to get into their group. I suspect I was observing "if it takes a long time, the meeting stone will become less selective about who it pairs together", but none of us where very primed to try Dire Maul without healing or AoE.

Another interesting difference was when I swapped in Nifty Stopwatch I was presented with a 30 minute cooldown. Further investigation is necessary, but I'm guessing they're trying to discourage frequent trinket swapping (or felt the stopwatch in particular needed nerfing).

Thrall now looks pretty well guarded. Has there always been a 2nd 500+ boss in that room? The stealth detecting patrols in Ogrimmar are elite 60s.

Outside the bank in Org there was a cat woman "ambassador" of some sort.

Anger Management still generates extra rage in combat (still unsure whether that is a bug or an undocumented feature). Thunderclap at 30 seconds duration is now worth the rage for the mitigation debuff (vs. melee at least). Bloodrage now causes a much smaller hit to HP, making me wonder whether the talent is a good value any more (for me it would save 150 health each use - which I make up in around 3 ticks of non-combat regen).

That's all that comes to mind after my brief time there. I was rolled back to early level 58 whereas my toon is 3/4 the way through 59, and the lure of hitting the cap is outweighing my interest in testing.
Olon97,Mar 14 2005, 01:00 PM Wrote:I doubt meeting stones won't be replacing a good guild or dilligent use of /who to find appropriate classes any time soon. I clicked on the stone without a group and got added to a rogue/hunter existing combo. Minutes passes, rogue dropped, new rogue got added, minutes passed, 2nd warrior got added. Rogue left then got added right back - he explained that 2 priests had just clicked the stone and he was hoping to get into their group. I suspect I was observing "if it takes a long time, the meeting stone will become less selective about who it pairs together", but none of us where very primed to try Dire Maul without healing or AoE.

Ugh! Awful! God, if they're going to put so much trouble into making something like this, at least make it useful. A simple way to check off "LFG XXX instances" or outdoor quests in XXXX zone would be far more useful.
Olon97,Mar 14 2005, 02:00 PM Wrote:Anger Management still generates extra rage in combat (still unsure whether that is a bug or an undocumented feature). Thunderclap at 30 seconds duration is now worth the rage for the mitigation debuff (vs. melee at least). Bloodrage now causes a much smaller hit to HP, making me wonder whether the talent is a good value any more (for me it would save 150 health each use - which I make up in around 3 ticks of non-combat regen).
[right][snapback]70718[/snapback][/right]

Since you are mentioning warrior changes, did you notice what the talent Improved Sunder Armor now does? Does it still increase the armor reduction?
Xanthix,Mar 14 2005, 08:23 PM Wrote:Since you are mentioning warrior changes, did you notice what the talent Improved Sunder Armor now does? Does it still increase the armor reduction?
[right][snapback]70770[/snapback][/right]

Improved sunder armor reduces rage cost. No more imp. sunder blocking other warrior's sunders and faster application for those with the talent (assuming rage shortage).

We're allowed to share our invites now (test continues for a week). PM me your mail if you're interested. With the talent thingy mod:
here. (needs version ignoring) - you can see talents @ level 1.
Olon97,Mar 15 2005, 03:17 AM Wrote:With the talent thingy mod:
here. (needs version ignoring) - you can see talents @ level 1.
[right][snapback]70781[/snapback][/right]

A little off topic, but the Forum Name 1.1 there looks nice for cases like the guilds on Stormrage and Terenas.

Edit on second thought with other information that many are putting on that player note, it will likely just make guild chat a mess. I will have to look to see if it can be adjusted to only show that information on the log on/off points.
But you didn't say what is happening with the most important parts of this patch: the fixes to "Kodo Roundup" and salt flat quests!! I NEED to know!!
I was only able to spend about 45 minutes inside Dire Maul until some of the group members had to leave.

We killed 3 or 4 bosses one of which dropped a necklace with +int +spi and +1% spell crit. My first thought is that warlocks will be extremely valuable in here. All of the trash mobs we fought were either trees (elemental) or demons. There are also some pulls where AoE would work nicely although definitely doable without it.
DarkCrown,Mar 14 2005, 01:03 PM Wrote:Silithius (am I spelling this correctly?) has horde and alliance flight paths near the entrance from Un'Goro.

This is great news, not only in regard to getting to Silithus, but getting to the "relevant" portions of Un'Goro. Wonder if a second connection to Feathermoon will appear...

Quote:There is a barrier stretching across the entire map from east to west about halfway down the zone. I don't know if this was there before, I'd never spent much time in this region.

Yep, always been there. There was a specific reference in the patch notes regarding whatever it is which will drop that barrier being implemented.
Darian Redwin - just some dude now
Darian,Mar 17 2005, 07:21 PM Wrote:This is great news, not only in regard to getting to Silithus, but getting to the "relevant" portions of Un'Goro.  Wonder if a second connection to Feathermoon will appear...
For the alliance, at least, Silithus only connects to Gadgetzan.