The discarded, unused monsters
Hello. It's mostly about mod making here.
This is about the monsters cancelled by Blizzard - Satyr Lord, Invisible Lord, Wyrms, Bone Demons, Incinerators, Unravelers, Devilkin Brute and Arch-Litch (lich?) Malignus.
Does anyone know what Blizzard thought when they designed them? As far as I can tell, the 'lords', Devilkin Brute and Malignus look like bosses (super HP and single level apparition). Incinerators look like fire spirits (afrits). Oh yeah, the Fallen from the manual is in fact a Devilkin Brute! Wyrms and Unravelers are total mysteries; Bone Demons and Malignus can be anything demonic.
However, that's just my speculation. Also know I don't own Hellfire... So please, if anyone knows better... thanks.
Good night.
Ebon,Mar 21 2005, 03:41 PM Wrote:This is about the monsters cancelled by Blizzard - Satyr Lord, Invisible Lord, Wyrms, Bone Demons, Incinerators, Unravelers, Devilkin Brute and Arch-Litch (lich?) Malignus.
Does anyone know what Blizzard thought when they designed them?

Wyrms, Cave Slugs, Devil Wyrms, and Devourers appear to be part of the same monster set. They don't seem terribly interesting since there aren't any unused animations related to them.

Bone Demon, Red Death, Litch Demon, Undead Balrog: Another monster set. They use a giant winged skeleton animation. I don't recall if these animations are incomplete in retail Diablo, but they work fine in Hellfire.

Incinerator, Flame Lord, Doom Fire, Hell Burner: Another monster set. I don't recall if these things use the "fireman" animations, but if they do, part of the reason they aren't enabled is the "fireman" animations are incomplete and don't work correctly.

Given that Malignus has a special name, it's most likely he was a special enemy (much like how Diablo has his own entry in the monster table). My speculation is he was supposed to appaer where "Jim" the Black Knight appears in D's room on dlvl 16. Malignus is configured to "darkmage" animation, which is essentially a Mage Demon with skulls on the staff. I believe it's missing Walk animation.

Unraveler, Hollow One, Pain Master, Reality Weaver: Another monster set. These would've been interesting had they been enabled -- they would've been the only undeads in Hell. I don't recall if their animations are incomplete, but I believe they're somewhat awkward.

Devil Kin Brute: My suspicion is this was supposed to be a generic monster. Its stats are rather similar to that of a Flayed One, so it wouldn't have been unreasonable to allow it to appear throughout a dlvl.

Lord Sayter (sic): Possibly a special boss (a la Butcher). His HPs certainly seem like it. Given the boss associated with this monster base is "Blightstone the Weak" I'm curious as to whether he was an initial choice for Gharbad. Pretty sure this monster's animations are funky too.

Invisible Lord: Given the dlvl of appearance, this was quite possibly a boss as you've guessed. However, I know of no "lost" quests associated with him. A truly invisible monster certainly would've made an interesting one, though I have managed to make monsters invisible in Hellfire. I don't recall what animation Invissy was supposed to use.

-Lemmy
Thanks. But I know what they look and sound like. It's just the fact that if I'd ever make a mod (which is rather tiresome) it would be good to know what each monster was supposed to act like. Wyrms may be snakes, worms or ophidians; Bone Demons may be liches, undead thunder-creeps or simply skeletons etc. Well I think Incinerators look rather cool (blurry and illusory and all...)
Speaking of mods, does Diablo 1 have its source code released? It's hard to keep track of exe hacking. Or a Hellfire.exe to Diablo.exe convertor (tho that may be illegal...hopefully not - you still need the .mpq anyway; just to use the Dark)?
Good night.
Animations for Bone Demon, Red Death, Litch Demon, Undead Balrog (demskel)are complete in retail Diablo.mpq. Including secondary attack. But no sounds or palette files. (well, some palettes are in monsters/monsters directory, but demsklb.pal, demsklw.pal and demskly.pal seems to be same without any changes.)

Fireman graphic seems cool, but attack animation is not correct for use.
There is also bad walking animation for unraveler class (and as Lemmy said, for Darkmage too)
This was just to remainding, because Im sure, that for you is not problem look at that animation again :-)

Now the second thing:
I wonder, where you gain information about concrete names and classes of these monsters. When I scan diablo.exe with hexa editor I can see only "text informations", like speeches (including deleted quests), name of items, name of properties and meaning of their effect, names of unike monsters (including monsters that cannot appear in game) and a little more. But i cannot see "values". Im not able to read what DMG weapons does, their durability, qlvl, properties of unique items and so on (that means I cant read most important things :-) ). The names of deleted creatures arent in text form in diablo.exe.
So tell me pls, how can I look at monsters and items data?

BTW: One unused shrine message has text "That which cannot be held cannot be harmed". Have you got idea what shrine used it and what effect it made? Invisibility?
Sekel,Mar 22 2005, 05:41 PM Wrote:So tell me pls, how can I look at monsters and items data?
[right][snapback]71459[/snapback][/right]
Jarulf's DVIEW, what else? ;)
Anyhoo, this seems to get nowhere. Does anyone know where to find Diablo.exe's source code?
Good night.
Ebon,Mar 22 2005, 10:59 AM Wrote:Does anyone know where to find Diablo.exe's source code?
[right][snapback]71469[/snapback][/right]

It's probably in a landfill somewhere in California. As far as I know, Blizzard has never released the source codes to Diablo or any of their other games. And judging by the bugfixes Blizzard made in the patches, one has to wonder whether they actually had a source code to begin with. ;)
Ebon,Mar 22 2005, 03:59 PM Wrote:Jarulf's DVIEW, what else? ;)

Hmm, only Diablo viewer I know is simple mpq viewer made by Lucifer. And my searching about Jarulfs one around Net wasnt succesful. Can you give me link, where I can download it, or send it to me by mail to adress Rebelx@seznam.cz please?
Sekel,Mar 23 2005, 03:36 PM Wrote:Can you give me link, where I can download it, or send it to me by mail to adress Rebelx@seznam.cz please?
[right][snapback]71625[/snapback][/right]
IIRC, I downloaded DView somewhere from lurkerlounge, but right now it seems to be disabled. Check 'Community'.
Good night.
Sekel,Mar 22 2005, 08:41 AM Wrote:Animations for Bone Demon, Red Death, Litch Demon, Undead Balrog (demskel)are complete in retail Diablo.mpq. Including secondary attack. But no sounds or palette files. (well, some palettes are in monsters/monsters directory, but demsklb.pal, demsklw.pal and demskly.pal seems to be same without any changes.)
Very usable, just not complete in the sound department. Easy to change though.

Sekel,Mar 22 2005, 08:41 AM Wrote:Fireman graphic seems cool, but attack animation is not correct for use.
This is fixable.

Sekel,Mar 22 2005, 08:41 AM Wrote:There is also bad walking animation for unraveler class (and as Lemmy said, for Darkmage too)
As is this.

The Satyr lord base monster type is usable as well, but it's death animation\location is not finished and causes all sorts of weird drop locations for the monster when it dies. More of an annoyance than a hindrance.

Sekel,Mar 22 2005, 08:41 AM Wrote:This was just to remainding, because Im sure, that for you is not problem look at that animation again :-)
The problem is the unraveler class is missing something like the final cell animation for it's attack. It's been a long time since I've looked at it.

Sekel,Mar 22 2005, 08:41 AM Wrote:Now the second thing:
I wonder, where you gain information about concrete names and classes of these monsters.
Funny thing about back in the olden days of modding was you had to know these sorts of things by reading the hex codes and following addresses. After a while it almost becomes second nature to read the hex output and determine what is going where. I'd say pathetic, but it was such an interesting time. Of course Jarulf's DView and things like ModMaker, and the endless programs that came out for a similar purpose changed this for the average layman ;-)
Ebon,Mar 22 2005, 05:59 PM Wrote:Jarulf's DVIEW, what else? ;)
Anyhoo, this seems to get nowhere. Does anyone know where to find Diablo.exe's source code?

There is also DRead, you can get it from Lenny Land.

Here is a Diablo Pseudo-Source Code that UHOLOGA decompiled. ;)
It is a myth that the hair and nails grow after death! The skin shrinks, giving the illusion of their growth.

When J.F.K. was assassinated in 1963, it was not a federal felony to kill a U.S. President.

The leading cause of death to military personnel in peace time is drunk driving.

It would take more than 2.5 minutes to fall from the top of Mt. Everest.

0xDECAFBAD is a hex oddity, a coincidence of hexadecimal digits which just happens to hold some incidental semantic content to weird humans.
Sekel,Mar 22 2005, 04:41 PM Wrote:Fireman graphic seems cool, but attack animation is not correct for use.
[right][snapback]71459[/snapback][/right]

The people at The Dark Forums have found the correct one.
It is a myth that the hair and nails grow after death! The skin shrinks, giving the illusion of their growth.

When J.F.K. was assassinated in 1963, it was not a federal felony to kill a U.S. President.

The leading cause of death to military personnel in peace time is drunk driving.

It would take more than 2.5 minutes to fall from the top of Mt. Everest.

0xDECAFBAD is a hex oddity, a coincidence of hexadecimal digits which just happens to hold some incidental semantic content to weird humans.
Selby,Mar 26 2005, 09:53 PM Wrote:The Satyr lord base monster type is usable as well, but it's death animation\location is not finished and causes all sorts of weird drop locations for the monster when it dies.  More of an annoyance than a hindrance.
[right][snapback]71998[/snapback][/right]
I think its not so big problem. Ive met them in Abysmal for the first time with my Rog and I was very happy for every wrong death animation :-) (and for my skill, Telekinesis spell and -Light Radius items too ;) )

Selby,Mar 26 2005, 09:53 PM Wrote:Funny thing about back in the olden days of modding was you had to know these sorts of things by reading the hex codes and following addresses. After a while it almost becomes second nature to read the hex output and determine what is going where.
I'd say pathetic, but it was such an interesting time.  Of course Jarulf's DView and things like ModMaker, and the endless programs that came out for a similar purpose changed this for the average layman ;-)
[right][snapback]71998[/snapback][/right]
Yes, I was prepared for reply in style
"Hi, items data starts on adresse 0xXXXXX
For instance on adress 0xYYYYY you can see data for Short Bow in order Qlvl, Dur, Damage, AC....."
Jarulfs Dview made all this work instead of me (Many thanx for link Ebon) but maybe Ill try to find where are these information in pure code.

maniajk,Mar 29 2005, 03:51 AM Wrote:The people at The Dark Forums have found the correct one.
[right][snapback]72216[/snapback][/right]
I made many attemps to look at Dark forum in last months, but it was allways offline. Even last week. Maybe it was my mistake, because I tryed links for concrete topics which was deleted/removed or I entered bad links.
Sekel,Mar 30 2005, 11:14 AM Wrote:I think its not so big problem. Ive met them in Abysmal for the first time with my Rog and I was very happy for every wrong death animation :-) (and for my skill, Telekinesis spell and -Light Radius items too  ;) ) 
Yes, I was prepared for reply in style
"Hi, items data starts on adresse 0xXXXXX
For instance on adress 0xYYYYY you can see data for Short Bow in order Qlvl, Dur, Damage, AC....."
Jarulfs Dview made all this work instead of me (Many thanx for link Ebon) but maybe Ill try to find where are these information in pure code.
I made many attemps to look at Dark forum in last months, but it was allways offline. Even last week. Maybe it was my mistake, because I tryed links for concrete topics which was deleted/removed or I entered bad links.
[right][snapback]72413[/snapback][/right]

It was offline last week. Zamal hosts it on his home system, and every time he goes on vacation his house has a power outage, which kills the forum. It's back now.
Ebon,Mar 21 2005, 03:41 PM Wrote:Hello. It's mostly about mod making here.
This is about the monsters cancelled by Blizzard - Satyr Lord, Invisible Lord, Wyrms, Bone Demons, Incinerators, Unravelers, Devilkin Brute and Arch-Litch (lich?) Malignus.
Does anyone know what Blizzard thought when they designed them? As far as I can tell, the 'lords', Devilkin Brute and Malignus look like bosses (super HP and single level apparition). Incinerators look like fire spirits (afrits). Oh yeah, the Fallen from the manual is in fact a Devilkin Brute! Wyrms and Unravelers are total mysteries; Bone Demons and Malignus can be anything demonic.
However, that's just my speculation. Also know I don't own Hellfire... So please, if anyone knows better... thanks.
[right][snapback]71397[/snapback][/right]

Blizzard originally had a lot of other quests, one of them involving a super powered up diablo. The quest was later discarded. These godly monsters may be from that very quest.