New hunter pet abilities
Finally hunters will be able to use all those extra training points. :w00t:

http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/thread.a...er&T=200544&P=1

They probably should have done it at the same time they removed inherant resistances though. :P

Edit: Caydiem has submitted her first draft of "The List" she plans to send to the development team on hunters.
Sir_Die_alot,Mar 25 2005, 07:09 PM Wrote:Finally hunters will be able to use all those extra training points. :w00t:

http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/thread.a...er&T=200544&P=1

They probably should have done it at the same time they removed inherant resistances though. :P
[right][snapback]71927[/snapback][/right]

I am extremely excited about this. While I get attached to my pets there are 2 stable slots and they should be there for a reason. I'm looking forward to making the pet better and I'm hoping that some of these changes will allow the pet to be tougher in the late game, which I still haven't really gotten to.

I wanted to do a beast master from the get go and this will make that work a lot better. :)
---
It's all just zeroes and ones and duct tape in the end.
Gnollguy,Mar 27 2005, 05:11 PM Wrote:I wanted to do a beast master from the get go and this will make that work a lot better.  :)
[right][snapback]72076[/snapback][/right]
Now all they have to do is make the survival tree not a complete joke and you can melee like a beast master too. :P
Sir_Die_alot,Mar 28 2005, 11:06 AM Wrote:Now all they have to do is make the survival tree not a complete joke and you can melee like a beast master too.  :P
[right][snapback]72121[/snapback][/right]

Yeah, right now you just can't seem to get melee DPS up with the ranged DPS. If you could do that the I would quite enjoy a hunter who hangs out up front with the pet even if groups think it a bit odd. Sure with ony leather and mail you'll never be the hard shell like a warrior or paladin but combined with the pet you should do alright if more healer inefficient.

I'm very curious to see just what will be allowed for abilities and how much more taming and learning you may need to do. I'm hoping this will be implemented so that there isn't a "best pet for Molten Core" or "best pet for Scarlet Monestary" is blah blah blah. But that you can have a range or that you can make any pet you want work for anywhere with training builds of the right sort so that you can just go for the style of pet you like best.
---
Gnollguy,Mar 28 2005, 12:12 PM Wrote:  If you could do that the I would quite enjoy a hunter who hangs out up front with the pet even if groups think it a bit odd. 
[right][snapback]72122[/snapback][/right]

I tend to do this, because I like keeping my melee weapons skills to the same level as my bow. Thus I find that in group, I tend to back and forth a lot. I'll be up with my pet for a couple encounters, then back off some to let myself heal for a bit, then back up front again.
~Not all who wander are lost...~
Mirajj,Mar 28 2005, 07:18 PM Wrote:I tend to do this, because I like keeping my melee weapons skills to the same level as my bow. Thus I find that in group, I tend to back and forth a lot. I'll be up with my pet for a couple encounters, then back off some to let myself heal for a bit, then back up front again.
[right][snapback]72191[/snapback][/right]
I've been working on training all the wepons I can use up... so far I only have One and Two-handed swords to 300 (well, and Bows too). Haven't decided whether I'm going to pick up Guns... have sort of a moral objection to 'em... no offense to any gun users out there. :)

And I melee... I prefer to use the bow, of course, but I'll get up front when I can.

Look at it this way... If I our Muurka have more than a few hit points left when whatever it was we were fighting dies, we could have killed something bigger. :)
[Image: Cat_Sig.jpg]
<span style="color:red">Stormrage:
<span style="color:yellow">Catlyn, Level 61 Night Elf Hunter, 300 Miner, 300 Engineer (Goblin)
<span style="color:red">Teneras:
<span style="color:yellow">Urdum, Level 14 Orc Hunter
Catlyn,Mar 29 2005, 09:39 AM Wrote:I've been working on training all the wepons I can use up... so far I only have One and Two-handed swords to 300 (well, and Bows too). Haven't decided whether I'm going to pick up Guns... have sort of a moral objection to 'em... no offense to any gun users out there. :)

And I melee... I prefer to use the bow, of course, but I'll get up front when I can.

Look at it this way... If I our Muurka have more than a few hit points left when whatever it was we were fighting dies, we could have killed something bigger. :)
[right][snapback]72251[/snapback][/right]

Oh, I'm not saying I don't melee, I do it frequently as well and I generally keep 2-3 weopon skills (one or 2 one handers depending on what is best, and one 2 hander) up around my ranged weapon of choice skill. However if I could get melee DPS up to ranged levels I would like to make a hunter who pretty much melees all the time and shoots only rarely (to start fights with stings or other special ranged attacks). I know you can still successfully do mostly melee as it is, but it still feels too gimped for me. Could just be my perception.
---
Catlyn,Mar 29 2005, 10:39 AM Wrote:I've been working on training all the wepons I can use up... so far I only have One and Two-handed swords to 300 (well, and Bows too). Haven't decided whether I'm going to pick up Guns... have sort of a moral objection to 'em... no offense to any gun users out there. :)

[right][snapback]72251[/snapback][/right]

Here's the question: is Hunter melee DPS raised by the same stats that raise ranged DPS? I don't have the answer to this, and my hunter's only 11. Anyone know?
--Mav
Gnollguy,Mar 29 2005, 10:44 AM Wrote:Oh, I'm not saying I don't melee, I do it frequently as well and I generally keep 2-3 weopon skills (one or 2 one handers depending on what is best, and one 2 hander) up around my ranged weapon of choice skill.  However if I could get melee DPS up to ranged levels I would like to make a hunter who pretty much melees all the time and shoots only rarely (to start fights with stings or other special ranged attacks).  I know you can still successfully do mostly melee as it is, but it still feels too gimped for me.  Could just be my perception.
[right][snapback]72252[/snapback][/right]
I don't think I'd like it if our melee dps were equivalent to our ranged dps... Hunters are pretty much fine the wa they are, in my biased and immodest opinion, and dorking with them too much will either push them into the clearly overpowered, or gimped categories.

I already get half-serious "Nerf Hunters" comments from Rylea and Stumpy and some of the others of the crew when I do things like solo Brumerian.

<stares into a mirror>
I like me just the way I am.
I'm good enough.
I'm smart enough.
And, gosh darnit, people like me!
<span style="color:yellow">Catlyn, Level 61 Night Elf Hunter, 300 Miner, 300 Engineer (Goblin)
Mavfin,Mar 29 2005, 10:50 AM Wrote:Here's the question: is Hunter melee DPS raised by the same stats that raise ranged DPS? I don't have the answer to this, and my hunter's only 11.&nbsp; Anyone know?
[right][snapback]72253[/snapback][/right]
I believe the answer to this is No.
Mavfin,Mar 29 2005, 09:50 AM Wrote:Here's the question: is Hunter melee DPS raised by the same stats that raise ranged DPS? I don't have the answer to this, and my hunter's only 11.&nbsp; Anyone know?
[right][snapback]72253[/snapback][/right]

The answer is no and even gearing differently won't make up for it. I really wouldn't mind having to gear heavily for melee and sacrificing significant ranged DPS. Also I don't mind it taking a heavy investment in the survival tree to make it work as well. But from what I have read and tried it just doesn't work out that well.

Of course my biggest hunter has all his points in the beast mastery tree at L37 so he is a bit of an oddball to begin with as I understand it. :)

Edit: Dang focus stealing apps....

This bridges into my other concern. If the pet training will pretty much cause points in the Beast Mastery tree to be even more irrelevant, or if it could make pets too powerful if they synergize right.
---
Gnollguy,Mar 29 2005, 11:00 AM Wrote:The answer is no and even gearing differently won't make up for it.&nbsp; I really wouldn't mind having to gear heavily for melee and sacrificing significant ranged DPS.&nbsp; Also I don't mind it taking a heavy investment in the survival tree to make it work as well.&nbsp; But from what I have read and tried it just doesn't work out that well.&nbsp;

Of course my biggest hunter has all his points in the pet tree at L37 so he is a bit of an oddball to begin with as I understand it.&nbsp; :)
[right][snapback]72256[/snapback][/right]
So, your ideal character would be a Warrior with a pet?
Catlyn,Mar 29 2005, 10:02 AM Wrote:So, your ideal character would be a Warrior with a pet?
[right][snapback]72258[/snapback][/right]

See that is my whole problem. I think you're right and I think that is where I'm going. :) Something just feels wrong with the hunters melee abilities but I can't put my finger on it and it seems most of my thoughts throw things way out of wack. I'm just trying to figure out why I have a problem with the melee abilities even though I use them a fair bit. I think it lies with the fact that a lot of the best melee skills want the hunter getting hit and even with the additional DPS of the pet and the ability for it to shift aggro off you the mobs don't seem to die quick enough to make it viable right now.

Maybe I really just need to respec my higher level guy get a more melee oriented gear set and try it out in the mid game. My experiements with it were at lower levels and things are different down there.
---