Accounts banned for Real-World Trading
[hijack]
Occhidiangela,Mar 21 2005, 03:33 PM Wrote:You can't buy a better game, IMO, but you can practice your way into a better game (on the range) and investment in professional instruction.
[right][snapback]71404[/snapback][/right]
I would agree if you said "you can't buy a game". If you don't know how to play, money will not buy that skill. However, you can buy a better game. I have a pretty solid swing, once I've grooved it each spring. However, my clubs are at least 15 years old. Clubs such as the Big Bertha were just becoming popular when I made the purchase and were far out of my price range. Even more recent club design has improved distance further and tolerance for off center hits has been greatly improved. In recent broadcasts of tournaments, talk about Tiger has been in regards to succumbing to the lure of the latest designs with faster shafts and massive heads, he being one that had mostly stayed with more conventional design. Even he has bought (or more likely, been given) a better game. I wish I could afford to do the same. :(
[/hijack]
Lochnar[ITB]
Freshman Diablo

[Image: jsoho8.png][Image: 10gmtrs.png]

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
"You don't know how strong you can be until strong is the only option."
"Think deeply, speak gently, love much, laugh loudly, give freely, be kind."
"Talk, Laugh, Love."
Occhidiangela,Mar 21 2005, 03:22 PM Wrote:I also think their best line of attack is on copyright infringement and failure to get a royalty, per a musician, for a for profit use of their copyrighted material.  Not being an attorney, I may be completely wrong about that.

Occhi
[right][snapback]71384[/snapback][/right]

I can't see how copyright can be of an issue. It can at most be an issue of contract and wether one can really make such demands or not in various countries (like your golf analogy, would that be considered "fair" if golf clubs started to do so?) Why no copyright infringement? Well, WHAT copyrigth infringement is done? There is really no activity done in the process that is copyright infringement as far as I can see. Just because someone makes money doesn't turn it into one either. Making money is as far as I know not copyright infringement.
There are three types of people in the world. Those who can count and those who can't.
The most common reason for buying gold in WOW I've heard is to get a mount at level 40. The expectation of obtaining a mount at 40 followed by the realization that you probably won't get one until closer to 45 motivates quite a few people to do this. However now that there are a lot of higher level friends, borrowing is more common than buying.

Perhaps it will turn into buying gold for epic mounts or epic items, to avoid farming gold. That might get expensive though, I don't know.
Less QQ more Pew Pew
Sabra,Mar 21 2005, 06:56 AM Wrote:Interesting that this would come up right now. Last week, just to see how WoW items might be faring on eBay in comparison to D2's former reign, I headed out and found over 3,000 listings for "WoW gold."

Today it's "5178 items found for WoW Gold." Good that Blizzard tries to do something about this, but I think this is a battle they won't win.

My question is ... who would buy this product and why? I really don't get it. Yet there must be a market and a big one with so many vendors.

Clueless as usual.
[right][snapback]71374[/snapback][/right]

Hi,

The economy in WoW is such that you can NOT advance within the Game without farming for gold...at lv 20 I could NOT by all my spells...:angry: as far as a mount my Paladin gets one for free @ lv 40 :D

I'm not going to Buy gold...I cancelled my subscrpition which ends March 31st :P

He can do more for Others, Who has done most with Himself.
King Jim,Mar 28 2005, 06:12 AM Wrote:The economy in WoW is such that you can NOT advance within the Game without farming for gold...at lv 20 I could NOT by all my spells...:angry: as far as a mount my Paladin gets one for free @ lv 40    :D
[right][snapback]72097[/snapback][/right]
Not true. If you save carefully, you never have to farm. The only time I ever farmed was for my first mount, and that was because I used AH beforehand and was wasting my money.
Trade yourself in for the perfect one. No one needs to know that you feel you've been ruined!
King Jim,Mar 28 2005, 07:12 AM Wrote:Hi,

The economy in WoW is such that you can NOT advance within the Game without farming for gold...at lv 20 I could NOT by all my spells...:angry: as far as a mount my Paladin gets one for free @ lv 40    :D

I'm not going to Buy gold...I cancelled my subscrpition which ends March 31st  :P

I'm sure you have all heard before that gold is much easier to come by post level 40 - I'm here to tell you that its true. Just by questing, doing the odd instance run, and selling items on the AH I had 150 gold on Sharanna prior to loaning out mount money and purchasing my 60 skills. I'm sure if I put my mind to it I could get back to that level fairly quickly.
King Jim,Mar 28 2005, 05:12 AM Wrote:The economy in WoW is such that you can NOT advance within the Game without farming for gold...at lv 20 I could NOT by all my spells...:angry: as far as a mount my Paladin gets one for free @ lv 40    :D
Even with my most broke character (poor little Etheramwen. All skills+alchemy+poisons=broke when you give away your pots rather than sell anything at the Auction House), I never had to farm for gold with her. I had to go farm wool because of some silliness, but never gold. Were there levels where she couldn't get all her skills at that time? You bet. I quested, went back and trained when I got enough money and soon she was finally caught up with her skills and still had small amounts of money left over. IIRC, it was level 24 or 26 where she finally got all of her skills caught up.

Farming for gold in order to advance is NOT required for this game, even at lower levels. You aren't even required to play with the Auction House if you don't want to. Will you have less money than others who do play the AH? Yep, but it's still not a requirement. You just have to learn how to budget (what skills will I absolutely need this level and what skills can I wait to buy. Should I really spend the money to train more in my professions or should I hold off a bit? Is this new whatchamajigger at the AH really worth blowing my savings on or should I wait to see what training I need coming up soon) and accept the fact that you probably won't be able to buy everything you want whenever you want it. If that's a problem for someone, then yes, I could see the claims of gold-farming being supposedly required. For that person, they may feel obligated to do so, but the game doesn't require it.
Intolerant monkey.
You cant judge a game economy by anything other than max level. Or in cases with unattainable caps you have to judge by the range most people settle into.

Unless the devs use artificial props the lower levels will be warped.
Treesh,Mar 28 2005, 09:19 AM Wrote:Even with my most broke character (poor little Etheramwen.  All skills+alchemy+poisons=broke when you give away your pots rather than sell anything at the Auction House), I never had to farm for gold with her.  I had to go farm wool because of some silliness, but never gold.  Were there levels where she couldn't get all her skills at that time? You bet.  I quested, went back and trained when I got enough money and soon she was finally caught up with her skills and still had small amounts of money left over.  IIRC, it was level 24 or 26 where she finally got all of her skills caught up. 

Farming for gold in order to advance is NOT required for this game, even at lower levels.  You aren't even required to play with the Auction House if you don't want to.  Will you have less money than others who do play the AH?  Yep, but it's still not a requirement.  You just have to learn how to budget (what skills will I absolutely need this level and what skills can I wait to buy.  Should I really spend the money to train more in my professions or should I hold off a bit?  Is this new whatchamajigger at the AH really worth blowing my savings on or should I wait to see what training I need coming up soon) and accept the fact that you probably won't be able to buy everything you want whenever you want it.  If that's a problem for someone, then yes, I could see the claims of gold-farming being supposedly required.  For that person, they may feel obligated to do so, but the game doesn't require it.
[right][snapback]72105[/snapback][/right]

I agree. For me there were times around level 20ish where the conjunction of trying to buy skills, and work on trade skills, along with not being high enough to run instances where gold ran low. But, after that once you start dropping mobs that drop nicer items and silvers, the money starts to flow and you quickly catch up. My highest char Celethirian is in her low 30's and now I'm focused on saving, and selling items at AH to have enough by 40 to get that mount.
”There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

[Image: yVR5oE.png][Image: VKQ0KLG.png]