Cheaters in Diablo 2?
Companies use all kinds of cheats when they're testing their games. It makes sense, if they're trying to isolate something specific. The difference is that they're not *playing* the game, they're *testing* a game in development.

In any case, this is not a place where you can discuss whether maphack is legit, or should be legit. That horse has already been beaten to a pulp. If you use maphack, you will need to find another forum, because you are not welcome here. If you don't use maphack but want to debate it, you're welcome to post here, but you'll need to have the debate somewhere else.

Thanks for respecting our wishes.
whathuh,Apr 10 2005, 12:05 PM Wrote:Don't diss all the hackers though. Mods are cheats...

Not true. And in the sense you and I are using the word, mod-makers aren't "hackers".
bigeyedbug,Apr 10 2005, 02:27 PM Wrote:Not true.  And in the sense you and I are using the word, mod-makers aren't "hackers".
[right][snapback]73550[/snapback][/right]

No, they are more accurately termed as script writers.

But by definition, mods ARE cheats. They change the game in such a way to modify monsters, drops, difficulty, playability, and just about everything else. So to be technical, mods are the ULTIMATE cheats.
SetBuilder,Apr 14 2005, 12:13 PM Wrote:No, they are more accurately termed as script writers.

But by definition, mods ARE cheats. They change the game in such a way to modify monsters, drops, difficulty, playability, and just about everything else. So to be technical, mods are the ULTIMATE cheats.
[right][snapback]73956[/snapback][/right]

Absolutely not.

Mods can only be played alone, or with other people playing the same mod. Thus, they can be seen as an entirely different game, using the D2 engine. It's like if I buy a poker deck and play solitaire with it.
adeyke,Apr 14 2005, 11:22 AM Wrote:Absolutely not.

Mods can only be played alone, or with other people playing the same mod.  Thus, they can be seen as an entirely different game, using the D2 engine.  It's like if I buy a poker deck and play solitaire with it.
[right][snapback]73957[/snapback][/right]

I stand corrected. Forgot a modded game can't interact with normal.

I dislike mods though, so no suprise I forgot.
ShadowHM,Apr 9 2005, 01:33 PM Wrote:And this is relevant because ??

Isn't this supposed to be a story line of heroes out facing evil?  Is the playing field supposed to be level?    The victory is sweeter if you face opponents that have an edge on you and you defeat them anyway, no?
[right][snapback]73477[/snapback][/right]

Agreed. The crazy unfair advantage they have makes our victory that much more deliciously sweet. I welcome the terrible lopsidedness of it all.
"Yay! We did it!"
"Who are you?"
"Um, uh... just ... a guy." *flee*
I might as well add something to this conversation.

I believe that Maphack is actually less know on BNet now that it was back in the 1.08 / 1.09 days.
I know pretty much everyone had maphack back then, hell even the Netcafe's had it for there customers, thats just how popular it was.

Nowdays, there are whole games where people are asking how to get Maphack and Baal run game that nobody has it, and ppl are shouting out "Who has MH, please tele to Baal" and no-one can.

These are my thoughts from reading the Readme file on the website. Go Google it if you want as linking to it from here will get thousands of ppl jumping on me.
REMEMBER: These are just my thoughts, not actual accounts of play as I do not want to spend $15 to buy MH.

I think that some of Mousepad's Maphack features should have been in the original game from the start.
Actually showing the windows clock is one that I like. How many times have you said, just one more WP or one more run and then it turns out to be like 2hrs later that you finish because you don't know the time.

Another on is how long you have been in the game for. You need to stay in the game for 5 minutes to make it stay open for another 5 minutes while you are getting another char for a Solo Item Transfer.
There is a counter right by the clock that tells you how long you have been in the game, now you can solo xfer items safely.

Another one is being able to find out what the hell your Iron Golem is made out of.
I do remember I sometimes make my Iron Golem out of Uniques sometimes because I can and it is helpful to me to remember what the hell I made it out of so being able to find out would be awesome.
Back with my 1.09 CE Necro, I had a Minotar Iron Golem that lasted with me for about 6 months or so. That was cool!

By the same token, being able to see what the hell your Valkyrie is wearing is also neat, as sometimes you might not want a Monster Flee on your pike but now you know before leaving town and can re-cast if necessary.

And finally, one of the most best things I have seen is the counter that tells you how much EXP you have gained in that game!
Holy crap, I know in WoW you have that listing with all of the exp earned and in other games as well this exists but in something that is so focused on gaining levels like Diablo II is, to not have this counter there to help show where you are getting the best exp from is something I feel, that Blizzard overlooked.

Anyway, there is a list of features that I like that are in MH but I think should have most definitely been put in by Blizzard from the start like the Necro knowing what he made his IG out of, or the actually timer to show how long you have been playing in that game for... and perhaps a warning to pop up after something like 4 - 5 hours to say "Go Outside!" or "Game is shutting down while you get some sun" or something like that would have been great.

Anyway, if you feel the need to flame or whatever, thats cool but please understand, I did not mention how I love MH and use it everyday, I only read the Readme file and made my opinions up based on that.
Blood for the Blood God!
Skulls for the Throne of Khorne!
- Warcry of Khorne's Champions.
All I have to say is that if the game developer Blizzard felt that those features should be part of the gaming experience, then they would have been included them in the game.

On the other (and single player only orientated) hand, if you are interested in changing the gameplay on a single player level, there are plenty of mods out there that can tailor the game to how you want it to be. Not to mention amazing people out there (like our very own Roland) who have organized and hosted servers specifically for mods!

Cheers,

Munk
Munkay,Jul 14 2005, 01:17 PM Wrote:All I have to say is that if the game developer Blizzard felt that those features should be part of the gaming experience, then they would have been included them in the game.

On the other (and single player only orientated) hand, if you are interested in changing the gameplay on a single player level, there are plenty of mods out there that can tailor the game to how you want it to be.  Not to mention amazing people out there (like our very own Roland) who have organized and hosted servers specifically for mods!

Cheers,

Munk
[right][snapback]83404[/snapback][/right]

The Phrozen Keep has plenty of Plugins that change the Single Player game to be as good or hard, or whatever as you want it to be.

However, do I need to mention Guild Halls or Arenas?
Both of these are things that Blizzard wanted in the game but could never implement them, so yes the majority of things that went into the game was what they (Blizz) wanted but some were compromises as well, and something things had to be dropped.
However, not everything that can be thought of, can be included in the Brainstorming sessions that create the game and because it is such a small thing to create a clock, maybe thats why Blizz never thought of it in the first place as even back in the beta, there was never any mention of anything like that existing.

I just think having a clock there on the screen is neat compared to me timing with my wristwatch as I hardly ever am online at the same time as everyone else as I am in a different country and will always have to Mule solo.
Thats why I love ATMA and things in that stead, that make difficult things easy to achieve.
I mean, the other way of transfering items in Single was to try to get it working in OPEN BNet! :angry:
Blood for the Blood God!
Quote:I believe that Maphack is actually less know on BNet now that it was back in the 1.08 / 1.09 days.

Really? I didn't play bNet then, strictly SP and LAN. Only recently did I join bNet (which sucks, as I have nearly every Unique and Rune, and all classic sets and all but one item in every expansion set and two full expansion sets on lan). But rarely have I been in a game wherre someone did not have MH, if it was more than just me and people on my friends list in the game. Hell, even one of the people on my friends list has MH, although, he's an ass, so I may take off my friends list at some point.
Baal,Jul 13 2005, 05:45 PM Wrote:I just think having a clock there on the screen is neat...
If you haven't figured out a good solution on your own, This will help. Should boost your frame rate as well when you play on Realms.
bigeyedbug,Jul 15 2005, 08:41 AM Wrote:If you haven't figured out a good solution on your own, This will help. Should boost your frame rate as well when you play on Realms.
[right][snapback]83471[/snapback][/right]

Actually I tried that except the version I d/l was a later one, version D.
It cause tremendous lag on my machine and I think it even crashed the game and that was in Single Player.
It was months ago so the details are a little fuzzy but I know that it utterly sucked.

That version B file worked well on my old PC but this new PC really doesn't like that file.
Blood for the Blood God!
Griselda, Apr 10 2005, 05:04 PM Wrote:Companies use all kinds of cheats when they're testing their games. It makes sense, if they're trying to isolate something specific. The difference is that they're not *playing* the game, they're *testing* a game in development.

In any case, this is not a place where you can discuss whether maphack is legit, or should be legit. That horse has already been beaten to a pulp. If you use maphack, you will need to find another forum, because you are not welcome here. If you don't use maphack but want to debate it, you're welcome to post here, but you'll need to have the debate somewhere else.

Thanks for respecting our wishes.
[right][snapback]83398[/snapback][/right]

I believe I already got the beatdown for this. Twice actually. Maybe thrice. It gets so hard to remember.
What is the judicial system coming to when child molesters get 5 years and cottage cheese gets 30.
JustAGuy,Apr 16 2005, 09:14 PM Wrote:Agreed. The crazy unfair advantage they have makes our victory that much more deliciously sweet. I welcome the terrible lopsidedness of it all.
[right][snapback]74195[/snapback][/right]

Says a guy who probably hasn't logged many deaths because of skeleton hordes that won't stay dead for more than half a second thanks to a Horadric Ancient or two that happens to be standing well off the screen and out of your attack range. Or the traditional Black Soul snipe-slaughter.

While maphack is still an unfair advantage (and let me reiterate that I do NOT support its use), tell me how the insane sight range and reaction time of 1.10 monsters is even marginally balanced. Yes, a human is smarter than a computer, unless you're talking about Deep Blue. But when you can die before you even have a chance to figure out what you're dealing with, how does that help?

I don't condone the maphack people, but I can see their side of the argument nonetheless.
whathuh,Jul 16 2005, 08:42 PM Wrote:I believe I already got the beatdown for this.  Twice actually.  Maybe thrice.  It gets so hard to remember.
[right][snapback]83634[/snapback][/right]

One of the times you're remembering was probably my post. I posted that months ago, and it was only recently brought back by thread necromancy.
Why can't we all just get along

--Pete
Zingydex,Jul 20 2005, 04:43 PM Wrote:While maphack is still an unfair advantage (and let me reiterate that I do NOT support its use), tell me how the insane sight range and reaction time of 1.10 monsters is even marginally balanced.  Yes, a human is smarter than a computer, unless you're talking about Deep Blue.  But when you can die before you even have a chance to figure out what you're dealing with, how does that help?
1.10 is not that hard. I'm not arguing that 1.10 is exactly balanced, but a challenge is just that: a bit of lopsided battle! Otherwise, where's the challenge (and fun)? :P

At the end I'll appeal to what I've said many times before: If Blizzard wanted the game to be played with the features of maphack, it'd be in the game.

Cheers,

Munk
Zingydex,Jul 20 2005, 01:43 PM Wrote:Says a guy who probably hasn't logged many deaths because of skeleton hordes that won't stay dead for more than half a second thanks to a Horadric Ancient or two that happens to be standing well off the screen and out of your attack range.  Or the traditional Black Soul snipe-slaughter.

While maphack is still an unfair advantage (and let me reiterate that I do NOT support its use), tell me how the insane sight range and reaction time of 1.10 monsters is even marginally balanced.  Yes, a human is smarter than a computer, unless you're talking about Deep Blue.  But when you can die before you even have a chance to figure out what you're dealing with, how does that help?

I don't condone the maphack people, but I can see their side of the argument nonetheless.
[right][snapback]83955[/snapback][/right]

Blizzard did have the forethought to put multiple difficulty settings in the game. I've made builds I didn't plan on playing in Hell.

Personally, I wish the overall level of danger was a little higher, especially for ranged characters. If the worst bugs--FE and its combos, Gloam damage, and Nihl Viper poison--could be fixed at the same time, I'd be ecstatic. But even without the bugfixes, I'd be pretty happy. Since I've yet to have a hc loss that I couldn't ascribe mostly to my own sloppy play, I think the most common cause of character death is the same as it always has been: hubris.

When Diablo 2 CD came out, I bought it and used it.
Later, when Diablo 2 was served on Battlenet, I purchased it formally.
That's one hell of a necro.
"What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch?"

-W.C. Fields
Ouch, yes. I was going to say that it's the biggest necropost I've ever seen, but then, for as long as forums will exist, I guess that a new record will be beaten every day...
Still, that's pretty great to see what was the "meta" back when Diablo II was still a more or less recent game, and to see that I still agree with things said 16 years ago: I wouldn't run some of my builds in Hell! But then, that's part of the fun, you can do less than optimal builds at lower difficulties and still be able to beat the game with as much of a challenge as if you were running an optimal build on max difficulty.