How does raid lock work?
Well, I'm 52 1/2 now, looking up at the endgame (as soon as I get back from this business trip... stupid real life getting in the way of warcraft!)

I still don't really understand how raid locking works though. Is there anyone out there who can give me a clear explanation of it?
oldmandennis,Apr 13 2005, 10:22 PM Wrote:Well, I'm 52 1/2 now, looking up at the endgame (as soon as I get back from this business trip... stupid real life getting in the way of warcraft!)

I still don't really understand how raid locking works though.  Is there anyone out there who can give me a clear explanation of it?
[right][snapback]73854[/snapback][/right]

Whenever you go into a major raid instance, such as Onyxia's Lair or Molten Core, in a raid and either kill a mob/boss or are in a raid with someone who already has, you initiate raidlock. This means that you can neither freelance or boot up a new instance until the raid expires. To see info on any instances you are locked to, type /raidinfo.

Example 1:
Bob's guild walks into Molten Core and kill Lucifurion. Bob now has this instance that he is locked to for the next week. He can leave the raid, go into another raid, and go any other instance, but until the instance lock expires, he'll always go into that particular raid's version of Molten Core.

Example 2:
Dave walks into Molten Core with Bob and six other people to get the rock for the quest Attunement to the Core. But Bob's still locked to his last raid of Molten Core. Now Dave and the other six guys are locked to that instance.
russ,Apr 13 2005, 03:54 PM Wrote:Example 2:
Dave walks into Molten Core with Bob and six other people to get the rock for the quest Attunement to the Core.  But Bob's still locked to his last raid of Molten Core.  Now Dave and the other six guys are locked to that instance.

Or more specifically, they're locked to the raid leader's instance. If the raid leader doesn't have an instance locked to him, then a new instance is formed and everyone who hasn't been locked to an instance will appear in the raid leader's instance. Those who had been previously locked to instances will still appear in their own instances.

Bottom line: If you kill a boss in a major raid instance (Onyxia and Molten Core currently), you can't go in another version of that instance for a certain amount of time (5 or 6 days, respectively).
MongoJerry,Apr 14 2005, 04:55 AM Wrote:Or more specifically, they're locked to the raid leader's instance.  If the raid leader doesn't have an instance locked to him, then a new instance is formed and everyone who hasn't been locked to an instance will appear in the raid leader's instance.  Those who had been previously locked to instances will still appear in their own instances.

Bottom line:  If you kill a boss in a major raid instance (Onyxia and Molten Core currently), you can't go in another version of that instance for a certain amount of time (5 or 6 days, respectively).
[right][snapback]73892[/snapback][/right]

I've personally had a warrior aggro a Core Giant, obviously not kill it, and then had the instance locked. A mage in my guild has entered Molten Core for the first time for the Attunement quest in a Raid whos leader already had an instance saved to him, and this mage was immediately locked to that instance.

It seems raid lock is either a lot more squirrely that it seems, and it seems pretty damn bad, or that it is a lot less forgiving than blue posters on the official forums say.
russ,Apr 13 2005, 11:22 PM Wrote:I've personally had a warrior aggro a Core Giant, obviously not kill it, and then had the instance locked.

I don't know when your instance runs were, but they fixed a lot of things with raid instance locking in the most recent patch. It used to save the moment you entered the instance. Now, it saves after you kill the first boss, which is far better, and I haven't had any wierdnesses with the system since the patch.

Quote:A mage in my guild has entered Molten Core for the first time for the Attunement quest in a Raid whos leader already had an instance saved to him, and this mage was immediately locked to that instance.

Yeah, that sounds like that's working properly. Basically, if you're entering an instance that has had a boss killed already, then you're saved to that instance.
MongoJerry,Apr 14 2005, 06:36 AM Wrote:I don't know when your instance runs were, but they fixed a lot of things with raid instance locking in the most recent patch.  It used to save the moment you entered the instance.  Now, it saves after you kill the first boss, which is far better, and I haven't had any wierdnesses with the system since the patch.
This was actually after the last patch. It's buggy, that's all I can say, or it considers Molten Giants as bosses and aggro as killing them (well, they don't respawn). I'm just warning anyone to be careful whenever they go into a raid instance, as checked ahead of time can be the difference between raiding with your guild and waiting out a week.

Especially with how many people are starting raids with experts to bring new 60s through a 5man for the Attunement to the Core quest... bleh.

Thanks guys. Couple more quick questions/clarifications..

If you are locked into a MC raid, are you locked out of Oxynia? Does the locking affect the "lesser" raids? (Strath, Scholo, UBRS) (Don't cringe Mongo, I'll 5 man them eventually) If it does, will locking them prevent you from 5 manning them?
Raid locking only applies to green portal instances (of which only Onyxia's Lair and Molten Core exist at the moment. Blackwing Lair will come soon).

Raid locking only locks you in to a specific version of one instance: thus, you can be free for Molten Core, and locked into an Onyxia instance, vice versa, free for both, or locked for both.

Being locked into an instance shouldn't affect anything but your entering that particular instance.
oldmandennis,Apr 14 2005, 12:10 AM Wrote:If you are locked into a MC raid, are you locked out of Oxynia?  Does the locking affect the "lesser" raids? (Strath, Scholo, UBRS) (Don't cringe Mongo, I'll 5 man them eventually)  If it does, will locking them prevent you from 5 manning them?

Those aren't really raid instance, so no, they keep to the same rules as all other instances, basically hanging around for 30 minutes after everyone leaves the instance. Individual players aren't locked in to them, so people can reform their parties outside an instance and reenter the portal and start a brand new instance of the instance.

As far as the major raid instances go, like Onyxia, Molten Core, and soon Blackwing Lair, they're all on separate timers. So, I can kill Onyxia again with Grim Vengeance/Basin tonight (woot!) and then raid with The Offenders in Molten Core this weekend (woot!).
MongoJerry,Apr 14 2005, 03:16 PM Wrote:So, I can kill Onyxia again with Grim Vengeance/Basin tonight (woot!) and then raid with The Offenders in Molten Core this weekend (woot!).
[right][snapback]73971[/snapback][/right]
Spoiler alert?! I haven't read the latest addition to your tale. It sounds like I don't need to now that I know how it ends. :( ;)
Lochnar[ITB]
Freshman Diablo

[Image: jsoho8.png][Image: 10gmtrs.png]

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
"You don't know how strong you can be until strong is the only option."
"Think deeply, speak gently, love much, laugh loudly, give freely, be kind."
"Talk, Laugh, Love."
LochnarITB,Apr 14 2005, 03:35 PM Wrote:Spoiler alert?! I haven't read the latest addition to your tale.  It sounds like I don't need to now that I know how it ends.  :(      ;)

Awww... Sorry!

Like you didn't already know how it'd end. Anyway, it's the journey of the story that matters, not the destination. Plus, you need to know about all the stuff that happens after the battle, too. There's some cool stuff!
LochnarITB,Apr 15 2005, 12:35 AM Wrote:Spoiler alert?! I haven't read the latest addition to your tale.  It sounds like I don't need to now that I know how it ends.  :(      ;)
[right][snapback]73984[/snapback][/right]

:lol: It might be the late hour, but that cracked me up.
Since all my questions have been answered, I feel free to jack my own thread.

Do "party wide" buffs affect the entire raid, or only your subgroup. I'm mainly thinking of totems, but I'm sure there are other things this applies to.
oldmandennis,Apr 16 2005, 02:22 AM Wrote:Since all my questions have been answered, I feel free to jack my own thread.

Do "party wide" buffs affect the entire raid, or only your subgroup.  I'm mainly thinking of totems, but I'm sure there are other things this applies to.
[right][snapback]74144[/snapback][/right]

Gift of the Wild, Prayer of Fortitude, and totem buffs only effect the party in which they are used on. I assume paladin auras are the same.
russ,Apr 15 2005, 09:37 PM Wrote:Gift of the Wild, Prayer of Fortitude, and totem buffs only effect the party in which they are used on.  I assume paladin auras are the same.

Yep, Prayer of Healing's another example. All party-wide, not raid-wide. Those'd be too powerful otherwise. This is why it's nice to have a shaman or paladin for each party within the raid to give totem/aura buffs.