Patch 1.08 walking patterns
Hi,

I can not for the life of me remember what was the deal with that and am curious about it. Might just be that I did not play much between 1.07-1.09. Anyone care to shed some light for me?

Thanks!

BTW - Interesting how this place seems to be getting more action than the DII forums as of late!

-D
Quote:Hi,

I can not for the life of me remember what was the deal with that and am curious about it. Might just be that I did not play much between 1.07-1.09. Anyone care to shed some light for me?

Thanks!

BTW - Interesting how this place seems to be getting more action than the DII forums as of late!

-D
Quoting from an old Nystul post:
Here's the best way I can describe the walking thing. Since Diablo uses large tiles for positioning (kind of like a chess board tilted on an angle), there are only 8 directions you can walk in a straight line. To go any other direction than in these eight straight lines, the game has to make a decision on what route to take the character. In all version of Diablo except 1.08, the character will move diagonally first and then orthagonally to get to the spot (I'm speaking with regards to the game tiles and walls, not the computer screen). In 1.08, the character moves orthagonally and then diagonally.

Now, both of these options get the character to the same spot in the same number of steps, so it's not a case where one system is really superior to the other. However, the 1.08 system caused 2 problems from a practical standpoint. The first problem is, some of us had been walking characters through this game for many years and thousands of gaming hours before 1.08 came out. The original way of walking had become intuitive, and 1.08 just seemed very awkward in general. The other problem is kind of a specific example of this awkwardness. In 1.08 if you want to make a quick diagonal move, you have to click on a square that is exactly diagonal from your character. This is not as easy as making an exactly orthagonal move, because you can't use the walls or lava rivers as guides. The result is that people trying to run around a monster often got sent on a path than ran them right into the monster instead.
Quote:Quoting from an old Nystul post:
Here's the best way I can describe the walking thing. Since Diablo uses large tiles for positioning (kind of like a chess board tilted on an angle), there are only 8 directions you can walk in a straight line. To go any other direction than in these eight straight lines, the game has to make a decision on what route to take the character. In all version of Diablo except 1.08, the character will move diagonally first and then orthagonally to get to the spot (I'm speaking with regards to the game tiles and walls, not the computer screen). In 1.08, the character moves orthagonally and then diagonally.

Now, both of these options get the character to the same spot in the same number of steps, so it's not a case where one system is really superior to the other. However, the 1.08 system caused 2 problems from a practical standpoint. The first problem is, some of us had been walking characters through this game for many years and thousands of gaming hours before 1.08 came out. The original way of walking had become intuitive, and 1.08 just seemed very awkward in general. The other problem is kind of a specific example of this awkwardness. In 1.08 if you want to make a quick diagonal move, you have to click on a square that is exactly diagonal from your character. This is not as easy as making an exactly orthagonal move, because you can't use the walls or lava rivers as guides. The result is that people trying to run around a monster often got sent on a path than ran them right into the monster instead.

Yeah, I see how that would be awkward. Thanks for the info!

-D
Quote:Quoting from an old Nystul post:

Interestingly enough, that patch was rolled out right around the release of D2. It broke all the mods that could no longer be played on Bnet as a result and of course made walking very annoying. Coincidence?
Maybe.

Here's a walk down memory lane. Kind of fun to read this stuff now... 1.08 related and much much more.

http://www.network54.com/Forum/31101/page-341

ps. If you go to the last page, you can actually view the semi-secret The Thread :shuriken:
Quote:Interestingly enough, that patch was rolled out right around the release of D2. It broke all the mods that could no longer be played on Bnet as a result and of course made walking very annoying. Coincidence?
Maybe.

Here's a walk down memory lane. Kind of fun to read this stuff now... 1.08 related and much much more.

http://www.network54.com/Forum/31101/page-341

ps. If you go to the last page, you can actually view the semi-secret The Thread :shuriken:

I tried to print the thread overview, but I forgot to buy 40 feet wide paper for my printer....

-D
Quote:I tried to print the thread overview, but I forgot to buy 40 feet wide paper for my printer....

-D

The Thread is never at fault, remember that.
Quote:The Thread is never at fault, remember that.

Never would I dare imply such nonsense! :lol:

-D