My main UD Warrior has been renamed!
Greetings!

This morning, my main char on the German RP server "Cenarion Circle" ("Zirkel des Cenarius") - the level 54 Undead Warrior named "Parzival" - was missing. He has been renamed without my knowledge, a warning message or post by a GM to the random name "Shyold", that I absolutely DON'T like at all! Who wants a name like "Shy Old"?? :angry:

What must I do to have him renamed to a name that I like?
"Man only plays when in the full meaning of the word he is a man, and he is only completely a man when he plays." -- Friedrich von Schiller
Send a ticket to a GM explaining things , you should at least get to talk to one . I have heard they can do it for you , have a few suggestions ready in case some are taken , hopefully you will get sorted . I have no idea why it was changed in the first place , maybe somebody got out of bed the wrong side that morning :(
Take care
I've just sent a ticket to a GM. You know, what bothers me most is not the loss of the name - "Parzival" (or "Perceval" in English) was a bit risky anyway, because it is a well-known knight in the King Arthur saga with the Holy Grail and such. No, what bothers me is the fact that they enforce their naming convention rules THREE months after I had started that char (EU release in February 11, 2005). The reason seems obvious: They didn't want to p*ss off potential paying customers/subscribers during the game's starting phase, and they wanted to wait until the customer has invested so much time into his/her char ("Parzival" is level 54) that cancelling the account seems unlikely. That is what bothers me here enormously.
"Man only plays when in the full meaning of the word he is a man, and he is only completely a man when he plays." -- Friedrich von Schiller
nobbie,May 3 2005, 06:37 AM Wrote:I've just sent a ticket to a GM. You know, what bothers me most is not the loss of the name - "Parzival" (or "Perceval" in English) was a bit risky anyway, because it is a well-known knight in the King Arthur saga with the Holy Grail and such. No, what bothers me is the fact that they enforce their naming convention rules THREE months after I had started that char (EU release in February 11, 2005). The reason seems obvious: They didn't want to p*ss off potential paying customers/subscribers during the game's starting phase, and they wanted to wait until the customer has invested so much time into his/her char ("Parzival" is level 54) that cancelling the account seems unlikely. That is what bothers me here enormously.
[right][snapback]76129[/snapback][/right]

Err ... nope. They only change names after getting a ticket from someone else, then looking into it. So somebody reported you, probably because they were ticked off at you for some reason.
Trade yourself in for the perfect one. No one needs to know that you feel you've been ruined!
nobbie,May 3 2005, 04:36 AM Wrote:He has been renamed without my knowledge, a warning message or post by a GM
[right][snapback]76124[/snapback][/right]
Have you checked your email (including any folders where "spam" is automatically sent to)? The NA GMs are supposed to send an email out giving a reason for the name change and requesting a list of 5 names to replace the temp name the GM gave you. The EU GMs may be required to send out an email as well.

I hate to say "I told you so", but well, I did warn you back at the start that if people get angry with you about something, they'll just report your name if they can come up with any rule that was broken that sounds even remotely plausible to the GM. And Quark is correct about why the name was OK for so long, but gets changed now. They don't look at names at creation. They only look into names after someone reports it.
Intolerant monkey.
No, there was no "spam" filtered mail yet.
Quark,May 3 2005, 12:19 PM Wrote:Err ... nope.  They only change names after getting a ticket from someone else, then looking into it.  So somebody reported you, probably because they were ticked off at you for some reason.
[right][snapback]76131[/snapback][/right]
I see the point, but now I'm even more p*ssed about such practices by the Blizzard GM's. I wish I knew the name of the person that has reported me.
One other thing I would try is make a character and see if the name is still avalible. If by chance the person who reported you did it to steal the name you might be able to get some payback by reporting them. :lol: If it was a simple name theif that might be a good enough reason to get a GM to give your name back as well.
Quote:Popular Culture and Media Figures
This category includes both clear and masked names which:

* Are references to very well known people, characters, places, or icons from popular culture and media (i.e. Sangoku, Corum, Jabbathehutt)

If a player is found to have such a name for their character, guild, or pet, he/she may:

* Be assigned a randomly generated temporary name, to be changed via the online ticket system
    * Be given a warning
    * Be temporarily or permanently suspended from the game

Very well known names from pop culture and media. And I don't even know two of the three examples they name. I wonder how far they intend to take this. What if you make up a name and it turns out some guy in a book or TV show has the same name? How obscure does a name have to be to be safe?

Frankly, it's a dumb rule, because there's no clear limits, and unless you mash on the keys making up a name like Gurnsgleo or Venhulingres, you'll probably end up with a name from somewhere.
Sir_Die_alot,May 3 2005, 02:56 PM Wrote:One other thing I would try is make a character and see if the name is still avalible. If by chance the person who reported you did it to steal the name you might be able to get some payback by reporting them. :lol: If it was a simple name theif that might be a good enough reason to get a GM to give your name back as well.
[right][snapback]76153[/snapback][/right]
Good idea, and I've just created a Dwarven Paladin with the old name of my now renamed Undead Warrior "Parzival". And guess what? I now have a Level 1 Dwarven Paladin with the name "Parzival". Isn't that great?
Phoenix,May 3 2005, 05:46 PM Wrote:Very well known names from pop culture and media. And I don't even know two of the three examples they name. I wonder how far they intend to take this. What if you make up a name and it turns out some guy in a book or TV show has the same name? How obscure does a name have to be to be safe?

Frankly, it's a dumb rule, because there's no clear limits, and unless you mash on the keys making up a name like Gurnsgleo or Venhulingres, you'll probably end up with a name from somewhere.
[right][snapback]76158[/snapback][/right]

Parzival and popular culture? My mind reels!

It's Blizzard's world of course. And they are king, and whatever interpretation of their rules is possible, they still can do whatever they want...

But surely here is something amiss. When I hear Parzival I have to think of the Wagner opera Lohengrin. Why would this be not appropriate for a fantasy role-playing game with obviously a medieval background? (I did a google and found an interesting link by the way: Wolfram v. Eschbach: Parzival.)

I second Quark's notion that someone is trying to grief nobbie in a very special way: by reporting the name to the GMs. Being that it is a German server the name was maybe deemed too Third Reich or something...

And I see people running around with names like Jp...

-Arnulf
Old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm!
nobbie,May 3 2005, 08:25 AM Wrote:Good idea, and I've just created a Dwarven Paladin with the old name of my now renamed Undead Warrior "Parzival". And guess what? I now have a Level 1 Dwarven Paladin with the name "Parzival". Isn't that great?
[right][snapback]76159[/snapback][/right]
Well it was worth a try. :mellow:
Phoenix,May 3 2005, 08:46 AM Wrote:Very well known names from pop culture and media. And I don't even know two of the three examples they name. I wonder how far they intend to take this. What if you make up a name and it turns out some guy in a book or TV show has the same name? How obscure does a name have to be to be safe?

Sangoku, Corum, Jabbathehutt

Sangoku - I'm guessing they're referring to the guy from Dyanasty Warriors, although Goku-san is the main character from the popular Dragonball Z cartoon.

Corum is a brand of watch. Strange choice. Maybe I'm missing something.
savaughn,May 3 2005, 01:21 PM Wrote:Sangoku, Corum, Jabbathehutt

Sangoku - I'm guessing they're referring to the guy from Dyanasty Warriors, although Goku-san is the main character from the popular Dragonball Z cartoon.

Corum is a brand of watch.  Strange choice.  Maybe I'm missing something.
[right][snapback]76180[/snapback][/right]
The problem I see is that it is applied by GM's arbitrarily, mostly due to getting a complaint against you. In my letter to the GM's I indicated that there existed many offensive names, or out of character names. {My sons name was changed from Raneoterror, to a new selected name RaneSeeker} The response was that I should turn in the names I thought offensive. >Right< That would fill me with a bunch of warm fuzziness. Hey, how about the GM's review the names and make their own decisions.
”There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

[Image: yVR5oE.png][Image: VKQ0KLG.png]

I think the GM's do review names, occasionally. My brother had a Tauren Shaman on an RP server and the name was "Acow." It got changed to Gwind after about a week. RP servers definitely have stricter rules...my brother has a Rogue named "Elimgarak" (Kel'Thuzad) and he met "Thomasriker" in Stormwind once. Of course, maybe the GM's aren't Star Trek nerds, but you'd think somebody would notice.

I must admit I'm quite amazed that Blizzard doesn't have a more effective system for filtering out names with non-ASCII characters, total gibberish, and pre-existing names (now, true, it's not that hard for somebody to come up with a slight misspelling of "Gandalf" to get past the filter but jeebus!). And if they're going to ban a name, BAN the name...don't change one person's name, especially not on a petty complaint. After all the names that I've seen I'm surprised that Blizzard even has time to go after the Parzivals of the world.
kandrathe,May 3 2005, 01:38 PM Wrote:Hey, how about the GM's review the names and make their own decisions.
[right][snapback]76184[/snapback][/right]

Because the response time is already slow enough without having a GM who's only job is to look through names? They still follow policy, and if a name isn't found against policy, they won't change it. It's just that the policy is too flexible, leaving it up to many different GMs to decide their opinion on the same policy.
Trade yourself in for the perfect one. No one needs to know that you feel you've been ruined!
Phoenix,May 3 2005, 10:46 AM Wrote:Frankly, it's a dumb rule, because there's no clear limits, and unless you mash on the keys making up a name like Gurnsgleo or Venhulingres, you'll probably end up with a name from somewhere.

How bout the name "Gumbercules".

"Gumbercules?! I love that guy!"

5 points to whomever gets this reference. Except Quark. He should know this, and I know he should know this.

On a serious note, I'm just glad no one has looked up the name Miodvitnir, because it is some name mentioned in Norse Mythology, in one line. People might use that against me.
All you need to do on Stormrage is stand in IF outside the AH and you will see dozens that should be changed, based on their stated restrictions. They are more restrictive on RP servers, but still some names are so obvious. e.g. Pepsicoco.
”There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

[Image: yVR5oE.png][Image: VKQ0KLG.png]

savaughn,May 3 2005, 02:21 PM Wrote:Corum is a brand of watch.&nbsp; Strange choice.&nbsp; Maybe I'm missing something.
[right][snapback]76180[/snapback][/right]

Corum is the name of one of the aspects of Michael Moorcock's Eternal Champion, which I'm purty sure is the reference there. ;)
Darian Redwin - just some dude now
Another thing to note here is that you play on a RP server which has much stricter naming conventions. chances are if that name was used on a "Normal" server it would be left alone. Then again Blizzard has stated in many places that they will enforce names taken from popular culture, movie stars, etc. There is a whole page or two in the Official Guide Book detailing what types of names should be considered no-fly-zones.

Also GM's will only change names if they recieve a ticket or they see an inapropriate name while they are doing their normal work. I've personally reported a handful of people. Not because they were being jerks or I didn't like them but because I get really tired of seeing Legolaz, Legohlas, Legoliz, yadda yadda yadda.