Client Patch 1.4.1
Gurnsey,May 3 2005, 03:10 PM Wrote:Dare I ask:

What is the alchemy display bug?
[right][snapback]76206[/snapback][/right]
On some realms, all alchemy formulas were shown as orange level recipes, but would still skill up as if they were their correct color. For example, the minor healing potions would show as orange, but correctly wouldn't give you any skillups if you had a 200 alchemy skill because before the display bug they were grey.
Intolerant monkey.
Mavfin,May 3 2005, 11:37 AM Wrote:Comments, anyone?
[right][snapback]76166[/snapback][/right]
Playing a caster, you can have fun doing this stuff by reverting to your spells as they were at the appropriate level.

"Ya, sure, I'll bring my lvl50 warlock to help with your lvl 20 quest. But I'm only using my lvl 20 spells"

You still have way more mana, hp, and AC than you did at a comparable level. But you can at least make it interesting compared to a mindless swim through a sea of grey mobs.

Kv
Quark,May 3 2005, 05:27 PM Wrote:Don't know myself, but people are creative.  It wouldn't suprised me of some people found a loophole.
[right][snapback]76165[/snapback][/right]

Got it in one. There's an interesting video floating about. When combined with a teleport hack, level 1s were teleporting themselves to Stratholme (I think: might have been scholomance. One of the end-game instances, anyway), entering the instance, teleporting themselves to a few feet above a chest in order to avoid enemy aggro, opening the chests, teleporting out, and selling the items.

Apparently a large number of accounts were banned for the teleport hack; let's hope Blizzard's actually fixed that particular problem as well as the more band-aidy solution of lower level limits on the instances themselves.
You don't know what you're talking about.
Treesh,May 3 2005, 04:16 PM Wrote:*bangs head against the desk*

My tailors on Stormrage, Terenas, and Tichondrius (I don't have tailors on my other servers) all have the display bug.  At least I'm assuming it's like the alchemists before and it's just a display bug.  I didn't bother to sew anything as I was checking.  /sigh

Edit: Another page in the book "Blizzard doesn't actually want people to craft in the game" - apparently solid dynamite had a nice little stealth change to it.  Instead of one solid blasting powder and one silk cloth, it's now 2 solid blasting powder and 3 runecloth.  Runecloth.  Caydiem says:

and
[right][snapback]76211[/snapback][/right]

Hmm appearently Solid Dynamite (at Thott) was broken on the 20th. Looks like Blizzard had quick response time on this one too. :wacko:
---
It's all just zeroes and ones and duct tape in the end.
Artega,May 3 2005, 02:47 PM Wrote:Predictably, I disagree with you Mav.

We're paying $15 USD a month to play a game, and if having that uber weapon or uber armor the very second you have a shot at it is fun to you, then who am I to judge?  I'll help them if I'm in the mood.  I have no problems doing the Whirlwind (Weapon) quest for my guildies, because I remember how much of a difference that weapon made for me.  I was unable to get it until Lv.41, eleven levels AFTER I acquired the quest, and by which point the quest was green, because the absurd difficulty in soloing those damnable elementals for charms that didn't drop very often.  By Lv.41, the Whirlwind Warhammer was merely okay for my level (and it was soon replaced), but at Lv.30, it's a downright godsend.

Maybe your guildies find slowly grinding enjoyable, but I don't, and that's why I help guildies whenever possible :)
[right][snapback]76202[/snapback][/right]

What you do in your guild is your business. I think it's cheesy for a lvl 30 to have a weapon you have to kill all that lvl 38-40 stuff for, but, I'm not at all surprised, Artega. You're always for the most efficient way. It's only about half a step from justifying the WW weapon on a 30, to justify buying gold on the 'net so you can have that purple you wanted, too.

As far as instances, yeah, I'll MT an instance, overleveled, for guildies. I'm the safety valve for them, and they can screw up to some extent and live through it. However, they'll be level-appropriate for it, I'll be the one whose level is off, so they're not going early, I'm going late.

--Mav
Treesh,May 3 2005, 04:19 PM Wrote:On some realms, all alchemy formulas were shown as orange level recipes, but would still skill up as if they were their correct color.  For example, the minor healing potions would show as orange, but correctly wouldn't give you any skillups if you had a 200 alchemy skill because before the display bug they were grey.
[right][snapback]76213[/snapback][/right]

Yeah if it's fixed on alchemy now they just moved it over to tailoring. All my tailoring recipes are orange on Bronzebeard. I didn't know this was a problem with alchemy but now that it's on tailoring i'm getting annoyed quickly.
One new item not mentioned in the patch notes but recently mentioned by Tyren in a patch addendum is this new feature:

- Honorless Target - Players who just land from a gryphon/wyvern, or step out of an instance will gain this buff for 30 seconds during which this target will give no contribution points if killed. This was originally implemented in the previous patch, but was kept invisible.

As mentioned, this was actually implemented in the previous patch. That is, people wouldn't get honorable kills for killing people just getting off a flight or coming out of an instance. However, since many people didn't know about that, ganking in such spots was common. I've noticed that ever since they implemented this visible buff icon, such ganking has been reduced considerably. Why, I landed at Light's Hope Chapel yesterday and didn't get attacked! I never thought that was possible.

Incidentally, for those of you who are getting sick of your PvE towns being raided constantly, come on over to Tichondrius. We've had several people come over to play recently simply because of how hard it is for low level players to quest on the their PvE servers where towns are constantly being decimated. In contrast, on PvP servers (at least on Tichondrius where the Horde/Alliance ratio is relatively even), people can actually pick up quests in the Crossroads and adventure quite happily.
MongoJerry,May 4 2005, 01:57 PM Wrote:- Honorless Target - Players who just land from a gryphon/wyvern, or step out of an instance will gain this buff for 30 seconds during which this target will give no contribution points if killed. This was originally implemented in the previous patch, but was kept invisible.

As mentioned, this was actually implemented in the previous patch.  That is, people wouldn't get honorable kills for killing people just getting off a flight or coming out of an instance.  However, since many people didn't know about that, ganking in such spots was common.  I've noticed that ever since they implemented this visible buff icon, such ganking has been reduced considerably.  Why, I landed at Light's Hope Chapel yesterday and didn't get attacked!  I never thought that was possible.
[right][snapback]76287[/snapback][/right]

I was surpirsed that they removed the buff between test and release. I noticed it, and I assumed it was at least well known that the idea existed, but I guess I was wrong.

Either way, it's still possible to "cheese" the system. A friend of mine has told stories of 3 rogues camping flight points. Between the three of them, they can stunlock a person for the full duration of the buff. After the buff has disappeared, then they kill the person, getting honor in the process.

I'm not 100% sure this works, though. It depends on the implementation of the buff compared to the honor system. If they set it up so that any combat initiated while the buff is active will result in getting no honor points, then the exploit above doesn't work as well. It's still possible, however, by letting one of the rogues "sit out" near the end long enough to leave combat. That one rogue can then kill the person and get the honor. Cycle through which rogue of the three gets to sit out, and it's a nice exploit.

This is also dependant on how leaving combat affects honor points, and if such things can be tracked through leaving and entering combat.

It will help, in general, to have this buff visible, but it still doesn't fix some of the loopholes that might exist in the system.
Stormrage
Alarick - 60 Human Priest <Lurkers>
Guildenstern - 16 Undead Rogue <Nihil Obstat>

Dethecus
Berly - 23 Tauren Warrior <Frost Wolves Legion>
Alarick,May 4 2005, 06:57 PM Wrote:I'm not 100% sure this works, though.  It depends on the implementation of the buff compared to the honor system.  If they set it up so that any combat initiated while the buff is active will result in getting no honor points, then the exploit above doesn't work as well.  It's still possible, however, by letting one of the rogues "sit out" near the end long enough to leave combat.  That one rogue can then kill the person and get the honor.  Cycle through which rogue of the three gets to sit out, and it's a nice exploit.

This is also dependant on how leaving combat affects honor points, and if such things can be tracked through leaving and entering combat.

It will help, in general, to have this buff visible, but it still doesn't fix some of the loopholes that might exist in the system.

More study is required, but comments from people I know who have camped Menethil Harbor and its flight path seem to indicate that this kind of loophole does not work. That is, they've done stuff like wait 20 seconds, stun/polymorph attack, wait for the buff to dissappear, and then kill the person. But they found that doing so does not result in an honorable kill. It appears that combat cannot be initiated during the 30 seconds and result in an honorable kill. My guess is that the person has to be out of combat after the buff disappears before they become eligible to be an honorable kill. Again, more study is needed to discover what loopholes if any exist. However, it appears that Blizzard may have actually implemented this feature well. At least, they seem to have passed the "first glance" test.
MongoJerry,May 5 2005, 03:39 AM Wrote:More study is required, but comments from people I know who have camped Menethil Harbor and its flight path seem to indicate that this kind of loophole does not work.&nbsp; That is, they've done stuff like wait 20 seconds, stun/polymorph attack, wait for the buff to dissappear, and then kill the person.&nbsp; But they found that doing so does not result in an honorable kill.&nbsp; It appears that combat cannot be initiated during the 30 seconds and result in an honorable kill.&nbsp; My guess is that the person has to be out of combat after the buff disappears before they become eligible to be an honorable kill.&nbsp; Again, more study is needed to discover what loopholes if any exist.&nbsp; However, it appears that Blizzard may have actually implemented this feature well.&nbsp; At least, they seem to have passed the "first glance" test.
[right][snapback]76338[/snapback][/right]

What I'm curious about is, if a ungrouped mage or two kept a person polyed for the duration of the buff, but one of the mages did nothing for the last 5 seconds and left combat with the locked player, could he then kill the person for honor?

This is more what I could see the loophole being. It requires a good amount of testing, but if it's possible, I see sets of 3 ungrouped rogues camping flight points to do exactly this.
Stormrage
Alarick - 60 Human Priest <Lurkers>
Guildenstern - 16 Undead Rogue <Nihil Obstat>

Dethecus
Berly - 23 Tauren Warrior <Frost Wolves Legion>
Alarick,May 5 2005, 10:13 AM Wrote:What I'm curious about is, if a ungrouped mage or two kept a person polyed for the duration of the buff, but one of the mages did nothing for the last 5 seconds and left combat with the locked player, could he then kill the person for honor?

My guess (and this is mostly a guess) is that the *target* is the one who would have to leave combat, not the attackers. So, the attackers would have to leave the person alone long enough to stop being in combat for it to work -- and of course, if the person fights back, that'll be a little difficult to achieve. Not impossible, but perhaps not very practical. The best idea I could come up with would be a series of saps where the rogues stay stealthed (or Vanish if they miss or don't have improved sap). I think the person would be out of combat when they came out of sap.

Then again, it could be more complicated than this. There was a mention by the developers on the forums as far as how contribution points are distributed among unpartied players doing damage on a person. There was something about the fact that once a person is not damaged for one minute, then the contribution shares (or whatever you call them) reset. That is, if you did damage to that person, but the person managed to get away and not get damaged for a minute, then you don't get a share of contribution points if that person is subsequently killed. It's possible that it's this mechanism that is used. That is, perhaps if the person is attacked in any way prior to the 30 second buff expiring, then the person has to be let alone for a full minute before they can be counted as an honorable kill.

Again, testing would be useful here.