Lifestealing...
As I am steadily approaching the higher levels, and looking for 'final' weapons, I was thinking about enchants. In the end, it came down to two choices. Lifestealing, or the highest + 1handed dmg I could find.

The quandry is this. As a Hunter, I don't 'go to blades' very often. Usually when I do, it either means that I'm having some 'fun' working over a lower level monster, about to put the finishing touches on a tougher one that's gotten through my cat, or am seriously in trouble.

So I was thinking that a +dmg would be more useful than lifestealing here. However...I also have not run high end instances, so I'm not sure if I'd melee more often, or continue along with mainly bow.

What do you think?

One other thing...Any Lurkers know what the mats are for a +5 or a +6 (which is the highest, I think) enchant on a one handed weapon?
~Not all who wander are lost...~
Spend your money on a Sniper Scope for your ranged weapon before you enchant your melee weapons, especially if you're on a PvE server. If they get through your pet, you're going to be in trouble, and enchants won't help you much there :)

I'd also suggest spending money on getting an end-game ranged weapon (I've heard Hurricane is the best) before spending money on your melee weapons.

Popular combinations seem to be dual Dawn's Edge, one with a Weapon Chain, and the other with whatever enchant they think looks best.
ArrayPaladins were not meant to sit in the back of the raid staring at health bars all day, spamming heals and listening to eight different classes whine about buffs.[/quote]
The original Heavy Metal Cow™. USDA inspected, FDA approved.
Artega,May 10 2005, 10:42 PM Wrote:Spend your money on a Sniper Scope for your ranged weapon before you enchant your melee weapons, especially if you're on a PvE server.  If they get through your pet, you're going to be in trouble, and enchants won't help you much there :)

My bows have had the highest scope (+7, IIRC) on them as soon as I found out you could scope a bow. ;)

Artega Wrote:I'd also suggest spending money on getting an end-game ranged weapon (I've heard Hurricane is the best) before spending money on your melee weapons.

The last time I looked, this was selling for 200+ gold, and didn't even make me want to switch off my current. I'll keep looking for other ones, though.

Artega Wrote:Popular combinations seem to be dual Dawn's Edge, one with a Weapon Chain, and the other with whatever enchant they think looks best.
[right][snapback]76919[/snapback][/right]

I'll have to look into these. Thanks.
~Not all who wander are lost...~
I'd say don't bother with the higher enchants (Lifesteal/Crusader) until you're established at 60, and have a damn good weapon not likely to be replace soon. The mat costs are too high to make it worth a weapon that'll get replaced soon.
Trade yourself in for the perfect one. No one needs to know that you feel you've been ruined!
Mirajj,May 10 2005, 10:17 PM Wrote:The quandry is this. As a Hunter, I don't 'go to blades' very often. Usually when I do, it either means that I'm having some 'fun' working over a lower level monster, about to put the finishing touches on a tougher one that's gotten through my cat, or am seriously in trouble.
[right][snapback]76917[/snapback][/right]

The mats for +5 to 1h, the highest enchant of that type, are 2 large brilliant shards and 10 greater eternal essence. Not hard to secure after a few endgame runs.

That said, you won't be going melee much in what I call the "early endgame"; 5-mans and raids through Stratholme, Scholomance, and Blackrock Spire (both levels), and 5-mans through Dire Maul. The vast majority of hunters I've seen are almost solely ranged in these situations, as they are generally in many instances even from the beginning of the game.

In the "late endgame", that being Onyxia and Molten Core, a hunter going melee generally means that the party's going to wipe. These challenges need every party member functioning at full effectiveness, and a hunter in melee is far from fully effective.

Consequently, I've seen a lot of level 60 hunters focus exclusively on statistic bonuses for their melee weapon(s). The crit increase on Dawn's Edge is obviously very useful, but I've seen hunters going around with dual green "Monkey" items as well. One of the more intriguing things I saw was a hunter going around with a staff of the Monkey, rating a +17 bonus to both Agi and Stam, with the +9 intellect to two-handed weapons enchant on it. Certainly, +9 intellect has much to recommend it as an enchantment useful for hunters, especially if you aren't actually going to hit anything with your melee weapon. Some choose to use Stoneraven with that enchant as well.